Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Some pics of my home p/p throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 03:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cut the shaft and screws if you didn't already! You'll see more gains from that than from just smoothing the ridge.

Looks really good though!
Old 12-04-2005, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
Cut the shaft and screws if you didn't already! You'll see more gains from that than from just smoothing the ridge.

Inlighten me some on this subject. I have heard of ya'll talk about this some but never got the whole skinny on this. Thanks

James
Old 12-04-2005, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Inlighten me some on this subject. I have heard of ya'll talk about this some but never got the whole skinny on this.

Thanks, James.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I plan on getting a good dremel kit, then I will go back and work on it some more. I was kinda just messing around, but it turned out so good I wish I had the right tools to finish the job. Thanks for the compliments guys, it was a real pita to sand it all down by hand smooth enough to polish it. I'm glad that I at least had a small poishing pad and cordless drill for the polish job, would have sucked big time to polish it by hand.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

You cut the front part of the shaft off, and shave the ends of the screws to reduce air flow obstruction. Some argue that it weakens the shaft, which it does, but I think the possibility of it bending due to MAP is horse ****. If that were the case, the butterfly would bend around the shaft as it is now. Just use some good loc-tite on the screws or a glue. Yes, it does flow more air. I mean, why not if you went through all that other trouble to port and polish? Don't you want the most out of it?
Old 12-04-2005, 06:27 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anybody have any pics of the shaft mod?
Old 12-04-2005, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Anybody have any pics of the shaft mod?
Old 12-04-2005, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tractionless
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=cut+shaft

OK, read this post, and if you go to shaner's web site, he has a pic there also. Though, he is one that believes in this bowing shaft phenonoma. Again, I guess it could happen if you try to gorilla tighten the screws with all your weight on the screw driver.

On another note, I'm an aircraft mechanic and been doing it for years on everything from helicopters to jets. A guy was waxing his airplane one day, and decided to see how much an unsmoothed surface created parasite drag. So he only waxed one wing, then went and flew it around the pattern. After yawing the hell out of the plane, we proved the cleaner the surface, the better.

So what we are doing is reducing parasite drag in the T.B. that is acting like a venturi. Air is compressible. Air has inertia. Rough surfaces cause turbulence. Air likes smooth surfaces. In the venturi, the pressure drops, the temperature drops, and the velocity speeds up. By smoothing the bore and removing obstruction, we can trade off some restriction by allowing it to slip through. Thus, a higher velocity and more going through in a given period of time.

ok, I had enough.

Last edited by speed01rcr; 12-04-2005 at 10:06 PM.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:57 PM
Truck addict

randy, that looks a thousand times better than mine. too bad your whipple fed 6.0 is still slower than my 5.3.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by goshawk23
randy, that looks a thousand times better than mine. too bad your whipple fed 6.0 is still slower than my 5.3.
damn

Quick Reply: Some pics of my home p/p throttle body