Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Some silverado updates that caught me off guard

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some silverado updates that caught me off guard

Updates for Silverado 1500
Month of April 2004
Effective 4/12/2004, the following changes will be made:

New rear drum brakes which will improve brake pedal feel, enhance stopping distance and provide a better overall brake system balance versus current rear disc system
The parking brake will also have greater resistance upon apply than the current drum-in-hat system

New electric fan module with a new generator replacing the current mechanical clutch/fan assembly which will provide better A/C performance at idle
Regulated Voltage Control (RVC) which will provide improved battery and lamp life. Note: RVC will result in lower Voltmeter reading on I/P cluster from 14 volts to approximately 12.8 volts, this is normal as the alternator will shut off when the battery is full charged (fuel economy mode)
Gen III engines will now have a floating wrist pin design versus the prior fixed wrist pin design. Note: Fixed pin piston/Rod assemblies CANNOT be mixed with floating wrist pin/Rod Assemblies in the same engine. Converting a fixed pin built engine to an all floating pin piston/Rod assemblies requires a crankshaft that is configured for the floating pin design. Target date is 7/15/04 for 4.8L (LR4), 5.3L (LM7, L59, L33). The 6.0L (LQ9) has always been built with floating pin piston/Rod assemblies. The 6.0L (LQ4) will be equipped with floating pins on 2/9/04
The on/off air bag switch has been deleted
"Buckle Up Reminder" system has been enhanced for 2005
Aero Improvements for Fuel Economy Improvements. Cover - front tow hook opening (blocks hole from the back). Front extension to fascia - (adds approximately 1-1/3 inches on 2WD and 3 inches on the 4WD of material to the lower trim edge of the fascia. Part will be black in color).
Updates for Silverado 1500 E85 (Ethanol)
Month of April 2004

New rear drum brakes which will improve brake pedal feel, enhance stopping distance and provide a better overall brake system balance versus current rear disc system
The parking brake will also have greater resistance upon apply than the current drum-in-hat system
New electric fan module with a new generator replacing the current mechanical clutch/fan assembly which will provide better A/C performance at idle
Regulated Voltage Control (RVC) which will provide improved battery and lamp life. Note: RVC will result in lower Voltmeter reading on I/P cluster from 14 volts to approximately 12.8 volts, this is normal as the alternator will shut off when the battery is full charged (fuel economy mode)
Gen III engines will now have a floating wrist pin design versus the prior fixed wrist pin design. Note: Fixed pin piston/Rod assemblies CANNOT be mixed with floating wrist pin/Rod Assemblies in the same engine. Converting a fixed pin built engine to an all floating pin piston/Rod assemblies requires a crankshaft that is configured for the floating pin design. Target date is 7/15/04 for 4.8L (LR4), 5.3L (LM7, L59, L33). The 6.0L (LQ9) has always been built with floating pin piston/Rod assemblies. The 6.0L (LQ4) will be equipped with floating pins on 2/9/04
Aero Improvements for Fuel Economy Improvements. Cover - front tow hook opening (blocks hole from the back). Front extension to fascia - (adds approximately 1-1/3 inches on 2WD and 3 inches on the 4WD of material to the lower trim edge of the fascia. Part will be black in color).
Updates for Silverado 1500 Hybrid
Month of April 2004

Updates for Silverado 2500HD
Month of April 2004

New Hood and Grille
Updates for Silverado 2500HD CNG
Month of April 2004

New Hood and Grille
Old 05-05-2004, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good info.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:38 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

toyota has been saying that for truck applications rear drum brakes are more effective for stopping than rear discs for many years now, very interesting that chevy is going that route. thanks.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by moregrip
toyota has been saying that for truck applications rear drum brakes are more effective for stopping than rear discs for many years now, very interesting that chevy is going that route. thanks.

See, THIS is why I want to be a consultant for an automotive company or someone that buys from them.

Heres what happens. Some small company or one going under goes upto GM and says "hey look; our drums outstop your discs and we will sell it for $25 a peice less!"

Now mind you $25 is astronmical. I've spent weeks doing a $.30 cent cost reduction and sat through 10 cent cost reduction proposals.

GM says "sweet, i'm sold"

Now what you dont know is at about the 4th stop the drum brakes are heat faded to **** and worthless. concidering they have upto 50% of the braking power- that sucks.

We see the same thing happen at my job. my company is well known for its quality compenents. We have people trying to undercut us with miracle parts that just have numbers but fail to beat us in the real world.

Its called cost down and nothing more. Drum brakes ARE more powerful but just CANT cool themselves off. Its why you use them in park brakes and applications where there aren't repeating stops but rather one or two stops that require large braking force.

edit: Id really like to be a consultant for the military or government for their purchasing. Even GM or DC or Phord or whoever. Most of the times these purchasers are book smart dumbasses with an MBA and no practical expierence on the selling or disigning end. I watch OEM's get swindled all the time
Old 05-05-2004, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont know but my 01 scsb 4 wheel discs are light years better than my 98 scsb brakes.. in fact my 98 brakes were crap, just crap compared to these..

every year gm makes up something to cut down cost.. look at the gmc, one less chrome piece on bed=savings, silverado grille not all chrome = savings..

gm, i cant hate them cause i wont drive a ford or dodge..
Old 05-05-2004, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought the drum brakes were only on the base model's for 05?
Old 05-05-2004, 10:15 PM
PSM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what i hear the rear discs on the silverados are getting chipped/scratched by debris from the road sand rocks etc. The drums are a sealed unit protecting them from the debris. Since about 60-70% of the breaking is done from the front, the rear breaks won't heat up as fast as the front. Maybe GM has figured out a way to dispate the heat... or they got even cheaper
Old 05-05-2004, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

in cars yes; but trucks dont nose dive as much and with any load on them; they brake upto 50% as the front. the F350 actually has a rear brake bias
Old 05-05-2004, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

new hood and grill?

i thought the complete redesign was coming out 2006. does that mean they're having this new hood and grill for 2005 only?
Old 05-05-2004, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

2006? any pics?