Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Something Broke...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something Broke...

So, I am driving home, being a good boy, traffic and all, when I mash it to get out from behind a truck that was spitting rocks. When the exhaust quiets down, I hear this LOUD ticking. Not good. Immediately, I think that I blew out a collector gasket, but as I start to hear the sound reflecting off other cars, I figure out that its not exhaust. Valve train is my next option. I am currently running LS7 lifters, 7.350 hardened pushrods, and HS rockers. I am driving along, keeping the rpms under 2500, debating on what this is, and if its worth it to drive the remaining 25 miles home. Then the noise suddenly goes away. Up until the sound disappeared, I was thinking bent pushrod...not anymore. I pull over, pop the hood, and put a screwdriver to the drivers side valve cover, and something is whacking the **** out of the valve cover...hmmm, what could that be? I decide not to drive it home, get towed, and here I am, no idea whats causing this. I THINK its either a busted rocker arm, or the rocker arm bolt came loose and worked its way out. Thats what I am hoping for. A bent PR would be nice, but I doubt that's it. I just don't want it to be a lifter failure, I REALLY don't want to have to pull the head in my one car garage, that just sucks.

Any ideas on what this could be? Speculation welcomed, but I ain't doing **** until tomorrow morning.

This sucks, it was too good to be true. She was running too good to last.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Most likely gotta pull the valve cover off and see whats goin on in there. Let me know if you need any help at all seeing Im right around the corner from ya. I have a few spare rockers I think too.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:59 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

What ratio are the rockers? and what cam/springs?
Old 05-21-2010, 10:29 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your loose or broken rocker arm theory would be nice...
Old 05-21-2010, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JakeBrakeIH
Most likely gotta pull the valve cover off and see whats goin on in there. Let me know if you need any help at all seeing Im right around the corner from ya. I have a few spare rockers I think too.
Thanks man, I appreciate it. I will be up early, probably around 7ish if you want to swing by. I doubt you want to come by that early, but PM me if you do, I will send you my address. Most normal people are sleeping though, I have a 9 month old, sleep is no longer an option of mine.

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
What ratio are the rockers? and what cam/springs?
Rockers are 1.7 non adjustable. Cam is a Bullet custom 218*/214* .578"/.578". Springs are Patriot Duals.

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Your loose or broken rocker arm theory would be nice...
Sounds like you are skeptical. I don't know what it is, worst case, its a lifter. If everything is fine under the valve cover, I will compression test it and go from there.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 03 BLACKOUTSSS
Thanks man, I appreciate it. I will be up early, probably around 7ish if you want to swing by. I doubt you want to come by that early, but PM me if you do, I will send you my address. Most normal people are sleeping though, I have a 9 month old, sleep is no longer an option of mine.
Im up early but only because I gotta work I should be getting out around 2ish or so. If you need anything just txt me or call. I PM'd you my number.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JakeBrakeIH
Im up early but only because I gotta work I should be getting out around 2ish or so. If you need anything just txt me or call. I PM'd you my number.
Awesome man, I really appreciate it. I opened her up this morning, found the greatest thing I could have, a broken rocker bolt. Took everything out, brake cleaned her up, and almost had the right bolt to fix it, but metric and american dont mix. The bolt was from my bike, when I had one, whatever, it isn't right. Now I am on a quest to find the right one...

Where do you work, maybe i'll swing up there on the test drive.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 03 BLACKOUTSSS
Awesome man, I really appreciate it. I opened her up this morning, found the greatest thing I could have, a broken rocker bolt. Took everything out, brake cleaned her up, and almost had the right bolt to fix it, but metric and american dont mix. The bolt was from my bike, when I had one, whatever, it isn't right. Now I am on a quest to find the right one...

Where do you work, maybe i'll swing up there on the test drive.
Im pretty sure I have one at my job. I dont have access to the internet there so I couldnt check on here to find out if ya needed anything. If you cannot find one let me know and Ill go back and see if I have one.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

atleast its an easy fix
Old 05-22-2010, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

7 bucks from any chevy dealer

Quick Reply: Something Broke...