Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

soo, how bad do you guys want to see what the 4.8 can put out?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 02:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you guys roll your eyes alot at each other

-----

So when is the 4.8 test going to take place? Sorry if I missed the date.
Old 11-27-2004, 02:29 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 11-27-2004, 02:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey I can kinda see his point. I have to been caught in the parish8 glory. but to each his own. while parish8's truck is street rocket, there are those of us prefer sometime more. A truck that can preformance on and off street. truck that can fri night pounded the 1/4 mile with the best of them, then sat night go to the county fair, drag a weight transfer sled in truck pulling, then sun go wheeling in the weeds. Kinda like recent g-machine movement in the car world.

To this I know that few people want to see what a L18 vortec can do. I will need about $$15k to start with for engine to drivetrain. Should I setup a paypal account??

Anyways pour the coals to her parish8!!!!!!
Old 11-27-2004, 02:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Thanks for the info, I was thinking of using a MS for fueling too, thats why I had so many questions. I am not rich enough for Big Stuff3. You look into the Mega Squirt 3 you can set it up to run a constant closed loop like the turbo 1.8 VW's. Just set a target AFR. It will take the readings from the wideband o2 and adjust accordingly. Do you find this way of tuning easier then the OEM computer?
Also do you have a coolant temp sensor for the mega squirt for cold or warmup fueling?
Old 11-27-2004, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 8100hammer
I have to been caught in the parish8 glory.
LMFAO!
Old 11-27-2004, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

I cant believe anyone would pay someone for this.
You could buy a nice lil present for $10 and donate it to a woman's shelter or something.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:11 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hellbents10
Thanks for the info, I was thinking of using a MS for fueling too, thats why I had so many questions. I am not rich enough for Big Stuff3. You look into the Mega Squirt 3 you can set it up to run a constant closed loop like the turbo 1.8 VW's. Just set a target AFR. It will take the readings from the wideband o2 and adjust accordingly. Do you find this way of tuning easier then the OEM computer?
Also do you have a coolant temp sensor for the mega squirt for cold or warmup fueling?
i put a 2nd sensor in the pasenger head just for the megasquirt and a 2nd IAT sensor just for the mega in the intake track. i do have my wideband hooked to the mega and so far i have set the "switching point" in mega so it can do corections. right now it is set up kinda like the factory where it shoots for a certain voltage and corects to that. i picked the voltage that is equal to 14.7-1. something i dont like about it is it does not have anything like ltrim tables. everytime it steps to a new ve cell it starts corections over at 0 instead of where it was last time it was in the cell. without ltrims it doesnt seem all that usefull.

the unit does have something called a/f targeting, i have looked at the maps and it apears you can tell it what a/f ratio to shoot for and it will work to get there, i am beting it has the same problem as i was talking about before where it doesn't learn and has to try and correct everytime. it looks like a great idea but i am not sure if it works or not.

now you want to talk about how hard it is to program(tune), it is soooooooo easy. last night we were tuning for WOT, i would get on the gas and call out to my pasenger who was tuning, i would tell him lean/good/rich and he was adjusting the VE table on the fly. with about 20 minutes of tuning we got the entire 1/4 mile run in the 11.5-12.0 range and it should stay there when the weather changes.

if your tuning on your own there is a loging tool that you can use. i will post up a screen shot of that in a minute. it is like efilive but not quite as refined. to adjust your fueling you goto the VE table. it is a 3d table. the 2 axis are rpm and map, then the 3rd is the ve and that is the number you change. higher ve will add fuel, lower ve will pull fuel. you look at the megalog file and see where you need to add or pull fuel on your run and then look at the rpm and map reading at that point(all on the log file) then goto the ve tabe and adjust the numbers.

the tuning is real time on the fly. you change numbers and the tune is changes. it is instant!!!!

some parts of the set up are kind of set up for computer geeks, it isn't totaly refined and i am sure you will run into some small issues to work thru to get things working corectly but there is help out there. installing the unit(asuming it is pre built) takes something like 4 hours. geting the laptop fired up and all the feature working takes some time. once everything is configured corectly then tuning is sooooo easy. let me go get a nice screen shot of the loger.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:17 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 8100hammer
Hey I can kinda see his point. I have to been caught in the parish8 glory. but to each his own. while parish8's truck is street rocket, there are those of us prefer sometime more. A truck that can preformance on and off street. truck that can fri night pounded the 1/4 mile with the best of them, then sat night go to the county fair, drag a weight transfer sled in truck pulling, then sun go wheeling in the weeds. Kinda like recent g-machine movement in the car world.

To this I know that few people want to see what a L18 vortec can do. I will need about $$15k to start with for engine to drivetrain. Should I setup a paypal account??

Anyways pour the coals to her parish8!!!!!!
right now my truck still works prety well for most things. it would tow a trailer as well as any RCSB out there, i wouldn't be afraid to drive it anywhere in any weather including snow. i use it to run erands and to get me to work sometimes. i try not to get it muddy, that is just too much work to get clean. i hate to say it but i like the stock cam much better than the monster lumpy one. it drives so nice. if the 408 is still lumpy like the 6.0 was i may put a more mild cam in it.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

woo hoo! and the posts get deleted!!
Old 11-27-2004, 03:36 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

As far as cam selection goes with your log manifold I would be pretty careful. I myself am tossing back and forth on my cam selection. Either the 222/218 566/563 114lsa assuming the stock manifolds backwards are somewhat efficient. I think it will probibly end up with the 224/218 581/563 114lsa because of the headwork I am doing the intake will flow betterr with a little more lift and the stock manifolds might do pretty well with the lower exuast numbers. I am trying to be not to relient on a loose converter, and being able to spin it to just above 6k and have it make great power up there. I am pretty good at picking NA and n20 cams but this turbo stuff is still a little new to me. Also going to try the ls2 intake and 90mm tb combo.

Quick Reply: soo, how bad do you guys want to see what the 4.8 can put out?