Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Sooo....why make a truck fast?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sooo....why make a truck fast?

After coming from 3 sports cars, and previously having lifted z71's as DD's, I'm kind of having a hard time dealing with the pokeyness of my truck. First off, it's a RCSB '03 LS model with the 4.8 etc...so far I've done 5% tint, and that's all I was going to do...well...now, I started thinking about a set of headers, and a Corsa cat-back.

WHY did you guys put all the money you put into your trucks to make them faster? I mean, no doubt a 12-second truck is cool...but, considering how much more it takes to get a truck there, one would think it almost wouldn't be worth it, unless you are just hell bent on being different? Anyhow-Guys with heads/cams/blowers...how is your driveability? If any of y'all tow, h ow does your truck tow now, as opposed to when it was stock? I would imagine you probably don't even notice the load behind you hardly. Any guys with verter's do any towing? I've heard not to tow with a verter, but just saying someone had a 6.0l in their truck with a nice heads/cam set-up and maybe a magnacharger on top....1.) you'd almost HAVE to have a stall converter on it, and 2.) Wouldn't the fact taht the truck isn't having to work as hard to move the load, reduce the wear/tear on the tranny, normally caused by a stall and towing? Maybe what I'm saying isn't making sense?

So, share with me why YOU chose to make your truck faster than it was originally.

Old 07-22-2004, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why make a truck fast? Why not? I love trucks the way they look the way they drive and the reason I want mine to be fast is because it is a challenge and something to do! You can make a truck look mean as hell and sound mean as hell and of course the obvious sports car but there is nothing like pulling up in heavy *** truck next to some ***** in a sports car or sedan that thinks he has a fast ride because he paid whatever for it and then kicking his ***. Some people ask me if I wanted to have a fast truck why I bought a extended cab and the reason is I have a little girl I have friends that ride with me sometimes but I also want to be able to go to the track or pull up next to a ricer and spray a 150 shot of N20 as I see him in my rearview! Some people are just truck people(suvs included) I also want to be able to go faster than I will ever be able to inm y extended cab and that why Im buying a F-body! Bottom line trucks are big and bad and look and sound mean as hell!
Old 07-22-2004, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well first off, I like the look of a truck more. Second, it's a man's vehicle. lol. Third, why not???
Old 07-22-2004, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

element of suprise
Old 07-22-2004, 09:07 PM
12 Second Club

or, why make a fast car faster?

theres something about taking a run of the mill fullsize work truck, and making it into something the engineers never considered

you get that sense of accomplishment when the guy in the vette next to you says WTF?!
Old 07-22-2004, 09:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

To make money off of all the ricers and mustang drivers that think they're unbeatable. They won't mess with a camaro ss or a TA, but most of the time they'll jump at a chance to race a little ole "truck". To see the look on they're faces when you jump them off the line and never look back. Insurance was going to be out the *** for the TA I originally looked at before I bought my truck. Finally, I have been a truck freak for as long as I can remember. Ever since watching my dad put on a set of long tubes and "cherry bombs" on his old truck. Oh, yeah, forgot to mention, we can't let Ford or Dodge one up us in the truck performance category.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have an intake, long tubes, and a magnaflow muffler with no cats.
next thing is a tune then im done.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:16 PM
TECH Junkie

I like it when they are behind with that dumb look on there face and you see them looking at gages with puzzled look wondering, "What just happened". That truck just busted my a.......
Kurt

you get that sense of accomplishment when the guy in the vette next to you says WTF?![/QUOTE]
Old 07-22-2004, 09:35 PM
Launching!

The look on the kid's face when this big old truck just beat the hell out of his TURBO car! I love the looks and useablity of a truck. Every time I've owned a car I wanted a truck again, I hope to keep this one for a good while.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

I would say for the fun of smoking them sports cars with a truck. my weapon of choice is my 86 Sblazer stuffed w/ V8 even funner is gettin them in the twisties. mine handles rather well also. 12 to 1 gear box helwig front and rear sway bars dropped 3 inches sport shocks, poly bushings, drilled and vented rotors rear disc of t/a

Quick Reply: Sooo....why make a truck fast?