Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

spark advance #s needed quick!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 05:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spark advance #s needed quick!

Got some wierd crap goin on in my truck.
My whipple has never performed or impressed me and i might have found the reason.

I finally got a program like atap to read my computer and my spark advance (timing?) looks to be way off. I think the idle looks ok, its about 17 deg. but if i rev it up to about 2500 rpm in any gear including neutral, it jumps to about 50 deg. when it shifts its about 40 deg or so and doesnt get anylower. In my understanding, torque management was suppose retard the timeing into the negatives? I also dont hear any audible pinging noises, my blower is being replaced this week tho cause it sounds to have a bearing going out. but the sound of the blower is unlike any ping ive ever heard.
So if i could get a couple guys to post what there timing is at
1. idle
2. 1500
3. 2000
4. 2500
5. 3000
6. 3500
7. 4000
8. 4500
9. 5000
10. 5500
i would really appreciate it. i dont know if it matters if you take the readings in gear or in neutral. it made to difference i could tell. but please specify if you test drive it or leave it in neutral. thanks! Drew
Old 06-10-2003, 06:48 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: spark advance #s needed quick!

Just sitting still in gear or neutral isn't going to show you the right timing numbers. You need to go log a WOT run and then report back. I see around 25 degrees at WOT throughout the rpm range(usually 3500+) it seems like. I don't know about idle and and the lower rpm ranges. I'll have to check some logs for those.

Go now and log a run. :p
Old 06-11-2003, 12:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: spark advance #s needed quick!

i looked at an old log and its around 18 degrees until it shifts, then it jumps to around 50.

Im starting to loose my sanity cause i can figure out why my machice is not performing.

Stock engine = 15.7 @ 88mph
whipplecharger = 15.3 @ 90mph
whipple programer = 15.0 @ 91mph
this is just plain awful!
i called steve at whipple and just asked him, "between you and me, how much faster in the 1/4 should my truck be?" he replied, "it varies from vehicle to vehicle, but we see an average of 2 second gain."
Something must be out of wack if i only gained 7 tenths and 3 mph!
My mass air is flowing at 350 grams of air.
and my boost gauge reads 6 psi at the manifold.
I checked my fuel pressure today and its about 63 pounds at wot. So i figure its got to be a timing related issue. Im getting close to the point of yanking this thing off and using it as a anchor for my boat, it would be more useful for me then. I do have ls1 edit but have not used it yet.
The only other thing i can think of that might be a problem is i once screwed up my computer with a superchip and had to have my computer reflashed.
Perhaps this screwed with the origanal timing program.
Hope you guys can prevent me from making an expensive anchor, Drew