Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

spark plug analysis

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 04:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spark plug analysis

Trucks been running really sluggish N/A, especially if I just miss the downshift from 3rd to 1st at a little over 35 mph, it would bog down at 3rd gear for a second or two before dropping to 2nd and fall flat on its face. I had the NGK TR6 gapped at .035 installed and ran about 15 bottles of nitrous before I changed them today. I now have the ngk tr55 gapped at .045 and it runs a lot better with new wires as well. Can anyone tell by the picture of the spark plug if the engine is running properly?
Attached Thumbnails spark plug analysis-spark.jpg  
Old 05-06-2005, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OrlandoFL4.8
Trucks been running really sluggish N/A, especially if I just miss the downshift from 3rd to 1st at a little over 35 mph, it would bog down at 3rd gear for a second or two before dropping to 2nd and fall flat on its face. I had the NGK TR6 gapped at .035 installed and ran about 15 bottles of nitrous before I changed them today. I now have the ngk tr55 gapped at .045 and it runs a lot better with new wires as well. Can anyone tell by the picture of the spark plug if the engine is running properly?
Gonna need a better pic! Cant tell by that one.. If you are going to continue to spray Nitrous I'd put a set of TR6's back in and not use the 55's with the nitrous!
Old 05-06-2005, 05:19 PM
TECH Resident

I havnt sprayed with the ngk tr55, but have heard that some are using those plugs with nitrous. I understand the need to have a colder plug, but it just seemed that the truck ran sluggish N/A. Im running 93 octane and I have a small gap, ill spray and see what happens, if I get detonation ill back the timing down a little and try again and also Ill check the plugs after a few sprays to see how they are doing. Is anyone else using the 55's with nitrous? Sorry about the bad pick, that was the best I could do with my cheap camera, the old plugs seem to have a lot of black carbon at the very ends.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I havnt sprayed with the ngk tr55, but have heard that some are using those plugs with nitrous. I understand the need to have a colder plug, but it just seemed that the truck ran sluggish N/A. Im running 93 octane and I have a small gap, ill spray and see what happens, if I get detonation ill back the timing down a little and try again and also Ill check the plugs after a few sprays to see how they are doing. Is anyone else using the 55's with nitrous? Sorry about the bad pick, that was the best I could do with my cheap camera, the old plugs seem to have a lot of black carbon at the very ends.
The truck will definately run better N/A with the 55's..
Old 05-06-2005, 07:25 PM
TECH Resident

Hey Flipper, I was just browsing the pictures and information on your truck, that is a really nice set up you got there. Who would ever expect a crew cab to be equiped like that How much nitrous are you running, do you have any numbers, Ill bet that truck hauls!!
Old 05-06-2005, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Flipper, I was just browsing the pictures and information on your truck, that is a really nice set up you got there. Who would ever expect a crew cab to be equiped like that How much nitrous are you running, do you have any numbers, Ill bet that truck hauls!!
THANKS!
Ive been working my way through the bugs and adjustments had a few set backs that delayed me almost a month, but I am up and running again and hope to be spittin some numbers out soon...

Direct port is 200hp right now..