Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Spark plug Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

come on some one has had to see this before.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I might not be anything abnormal. It might be due to heat;the lower part of a ground electrode gets hotter,I guess.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:12 PM
Staging Lane

One sign of heat used by some professionals is electrode color. Many--but not all--spark-plug electrodes have an alloy composition that will oxidize green when subjected to high temperatures. This nickel oxide on the center wire and sidewire would show up first at the tip of the electrode--the hottest part--and progress from there, depending on temperature. Excessive green oxide may signal it's time to change to a colder plug. The main thing to keep in mind here is that not all electrodes oxidize (turn green) at the same rate, if at all. Therefore, your best bet is to turn to a technician with experience reading plugs
Old 08-25-2008, 02:15 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhySoSerious?
One sign of heat used by some professionals is electrode color. Many--but not all--spark-plug electrodes have an alloy composition that will oxidize green when subjected to high temperatures. This nickel oxide on the center wire and sidewire would show up first at the tip of the electrode--the hottest part--and progress from there, depending on temperature. Excessive green oxide may signal it's time to change to a colder plug. The main thing to keep in mind here is that not all electrodes oxidize (turn green) at the same rate, if at all. Therefore, your best bet is to turn to a technician with experience reading plugs
Can you post the link from that article please?
Old 08-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by trever1t
Can you post the link from that article please?
It is basically for lawnmowers, etc.. but it does give some what of a reason why it would turn green.

http://www.grounds-mag.com/mag/groun...g_spark_plugs/
Old 08-25-2008, 02:18 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, makes sense to me, thanks!!
Isn't the internet grand!
Old 08-25-2008, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Was your cylinder #7 plug any lighter in color than the rest or was it the same color?
Just curious since several people have posted about #7 running hotter(breaking ringlands) than the rest. When changing out my plugs (on 2 different sets) I noticed that both times #7 was white with very little coloring at all. That was NA and after Maggie install. This has led me to believe it is a cooling issue around #7. I also swapped injectors at #7 and still have same plug readings.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nope they all look like the ones I posted all have about the same shade to them. I know that I have a few lean spots right now. Could that be causing enough heat to do that? just a thought.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:54 PM
Staging Lane

maxed on injectors = runnin lean = high EGT ?
Old 08-25-2008, 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by southern_chevy
Nope they all look like the ones I posted all have about the same shade to them. I know that I have a few lean spots right now. Could that be causing enough heat to do that? just a thought.
whats the lean spots from? caused by?

Quick Reply: Spark plug Question