Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Prototype..

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 07:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
Did you use gm mounts or aftermarket mounts (i.e. Anchor)?
I used the anchor mounts... Which are softer than the GM mounts. I'm guessing thats my issue. Gm mounts are so dam expensive
Old 10-30-2016, 12:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Not when you look at how long they last!! Anchors youll be changing out every couple of months.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wow brand of mounts hmmmm

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
Did you use gm mounts or aftermarket mounts (i.e. Anchor)?
I used anchor mounts, my speed engineering 1 7/8s passenger side literally rests on the frame the driver side has minor issues (02 bung pain in the butt). That also contributes to my theory that the mounts do not make that big of difference.I plan using some heat and trying to bend them in slightly. I read about other people having clearance issues on the passenger side and speed engineering resolved that. Maybe I could the first " batch". Shawn offered a refund and we came to a resolution.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:58 AM
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

So we have been testing a few theories lately at the shop. Over the last few years I am sure you guys have heard we have had probably a handful of customers that have had the passenger side primary hit the frame. Several of these headers we have had sent back to us for inspection, and all showing no signs of irregularity between them.

So we recently installed a set of GM motor mounts on our shop project truck. As expected the GM mounts worked just fine with plenty of clearance. The second set of mounts were some eBay China knock off ones. I am honestly not sure if those are considered Anchor's or not. They looked like the traditional 99-06 mounts, not the new GM version they have out now. When we installed the aftermarket mounts the rubber didn't even touch. They had a bad vibration like a solid motor mount, and the headers hit the frame on the passenger side.

To try an make a long story short we have seen two instances that can push the passenger side header into the frame:

1. The common issue of the drivers side motor mount wearing out prematurely rocking the motor down on the drivers side which rotates the passenger side header into the frame. In this situation we have had a previous customer load the engine, and the passenger side header actually pulled away from the frame when the engine torqued.

2. Some aftermarket motor mounts have been proven to set the engine in a different location. We proved this on our shop truck, and I am assuming that is the reason why parks450 original motor mounts worked just fine, but his new ones did not. Hope some of this helps..

Thanks
Sean
Old 10-31-2016, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sean,

I would probably support that conclusion. I did purchase a set of the first batch of 1-7/8 headers and had issues with the pass side primary laying on the frame. However, I did replace the mounts with brand new Anchor mounts at the same time. Even with the new mounts the primary rested on the frame. I'm in the process of swapping solid mounts in, and have purchased a newer set of the headers since I had the old ones off anyway - plus I get the updated collector that's not necked down. However, if I haven't sold my old set from the first batch before I have the solid mounts in, I will put the pass side back in place to see if it still makes contact with the frame. I'll post my findings up here, all other variables besides the mount will remain constant in my case.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any update on the true dual full tail pipe kit I'm interested.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:35 AM
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Gbrown1320: Ya, we have never tried solid motor mounts. Not sure how close they would be compared to factory motor mounts. Guess it really depends on where the manufacture sets the motor height.

Amedee: We are waiting to receive pictures from the factory of the changes requested. If we can ok them by pictures it would be 3-4 months from that point.

Thanks
Sean
Old 11-01-2016, 12:59 PM
Staging Lane

Default My Anchor mounts are really hard.

Originally Posted by parks450
I used the anchor mounts... Which are softer than the GM mounts. I'm guessing thats my issue. Gm mounts are so dam expensive
I ordered mine off ebay maybe knock offs they where in q white box with an Anchor number. Mine were so hard I had to use the bolts to pull the 6.0 down on them. The engine resting on them were not enough to fully seat them.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:03 PM
Staging Lane

Default Can you provide a new GM part #???

Originally Posted by Speed Engineering
So we have been testing a few theories lately at the shop. Over the last few years I am sure you guys have heard we have had probably a handful of customers that have had the passenger side primary hit the frame. Several of these headers we have had sent back to us for inspection, and all showing no signs of irregularity between them.

So we recently installed a set of GM motor mounts on our shop project truck. As expected the GM mounts worked just fine with plenty of clearance. The second set of mounts were some eBay China knock off ones. I am honestly not sure if those are considered Anchor's or not. They looked like the traditional 99-06 mounts, not the new GM version they have out now. When we installed the aftermarket mounts the rubber didn't even touch. They had a bad vibration like a solid motor mount, and the headers hit the frame on the passenger side.

To try an make a long story short we have seen two instances that can push the passenger side header into the frame:

1. The common issue of the drivers side motor mount wearing out prematurely rocking the motor down on the drivers side which rotates the passenger side header into the frame. In this situation we have had a previous customer load the engine, and the passenger side header actually pulled away from the frame when the engine torqued.

2. Some aftermarket motor mounts have been proven to set the engine in a different location. We proved this on our shop truck, and I am assuming that is the reason why parks450 original motor mounts worked just fine, but his new ones did not. Hope some of this helps..

Thanks
Sean
My parts dept at Tom Gibbs Chevy only list one # he does see an earlier # that was superseded in 2003. Do you have the Gm part #?
Old 11-01-2016, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you mean for the motor mounts tpartsman its15226254

Quick Reply: Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Prototype..