Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Prototype..

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 11:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed the 99-13 kit on my reg cab long bed 2500HD, so I figured I would share my experiences.

When opening the package, the everything looked great, well packed and all parts were present.

Fitment of the crossover and x-pipe was great, no issues with my 4l80e and everything lined up great.

The Clamps Suck! Literally the worst clamps I've ever used in my life. The bolts provided were also horrible and the head of the bolt/nuts were too large to fit a socket on. I ended up grinding down a spare one I had lying around. The bolts were not strong enough to tighten the clamps enough for the slip fit connections to not slip or leak. I ended up breaking 3 bolts in the process.

The muffler section hangers did not line up with the ones on my truck. I expected this as the kit was not designed for a 2500HD truck. I ended up having to bend both as well. I also had to move the mufflers back about 3-4" so I used some spare 3" stainless tubing to extend it a bit. Instead of messing with the clamps, I just welded that whole section.

The tone is great, it's actually quieter than I expected. Sounds great and even though I had some issues, I would definitely buy it again. I'd just be prepared with better clamps or weld some V-bands in.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Still need to weld mine, band clamps still holding up though

Originally Posted by Tim94gt
I just installed the 99-13 kit on my reg cab long bed 2500HD, so I figured I would share my experiences.

When opening the package, the everything looked great, well packed and all parts were present.

Fitment of the crossover and x-pipe was great, no issues with my 4l80e and everything lined up great.

The Clamps Suck! Literally the worst clamps I've ever used in my life. The bolts provided were also horrible and the head of the bolt/nuts were too large to fit a socket on. I ended up grinding down a spare one I had lying around. The bolts were not strong enough to tighten the clamps enough for the slip fit connections to not slip or leak. I ended up breaking 3 bolts in the process.

The muffler section hangers did not line up with the ones on my truck. I expected this as the kit was not designed for a 2500HD truck. I ended up having to bend both as well. I also had to move the mufflers back about 3-4" so I used some spare 3" stainless tubing to extend it a bit. Instead of messing with the clamps, I just welded that whole section.

The tone is great, it's actually quieter than I expected. Sounds great and even though I had some issues, I would definitely buy it again. I'd just be prepared with better clamps or weld some V-bands in.
Over all I am still happy with mine I have had the headers for two years and the true duals over a year. Unfortunately this thread is so long you missed my post about the v band clamps oh an dthe sensor safe rtv.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:19 PM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Deezl SS
It's been a month so time for an update. I ditched the small mufflers that came with the system and added 2 Magnaflow 12579 mufflers and 2 Magnaflow 14419 round race mufflers to act as resonators. The truck still has a great sound but much more refined. The interior resonance that I was getting from 1500-2000 rpm is almost completely gone and the little that is left is hardly noticeable. I may add some sound deadening in the spring when I redo the stereo and I'm confident that will completely eliminate it.
This is exactly what I’m trying to do prior to the install. Do you have any pictures of the muffler placement? I have my truck sound deadend to the gills and full stereo. I’m excited to hear the results!

Last edited by Mconcha; 02-13-2018 at 12:56 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:25 AM
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you guys for the business, and comments..

Sean
Old 02-13-2018, 12:40 PM
Launching!

Sean
How would you recommend quieting the exhaust down, a lot? I have a mild mild sleeper/family wagon in the making. The truck, ccsb 07 nnbs w/ full sound deadening and stereo- which will help.
I recently purchased your 1 3/4 long tubes w/ true dual kit (full length). Thank you for the fast shipping and customer service. Everything arrived ahead of schedule to my office in San Diego. I’ve yet to open the boxes as I just got out of back surgery, and wrenching will need to wait for now (although I may pay someone to do the work while I’m out of commission)
My truck is getting a 6.2 swap, custom grind tsp cam, and supporting mods for longevity. Everything is already purchased and ready to go, but I’d like to have the exhaust dialed in before heading to my tuner. I wanted all the flow and the dual exhaust sound note, just toned down as much as possible which is why your kit was the best option to start with.

Sounds like everyone is saying better vbands and hardware (nothing to complain about for the price) but is there anything else you might add? The intention is not to put the product down, but to help others like myself to prepare. If this specific potential issue has already been discussed please direct me to the post #.

Hopefully this guides others with the same needs as well. Thank you!
Old 02-13-2018, 12:46 PM
Launching!

Also looking for advice and pictures on muffler/resonator placement. If I need to run 2 mufflers and 12 resonators, I will. Hah
Old 02-14-2018, 09:49 AM
Former Vendor

If your looking for a quieter exhaust I would look into changing out the mufflers to a full body baffled/insulated muffler. I believe Magnaflow has a few options that might work for you. I would stay away from the non insulated mufflers, as they will have more drone/harmonics in the cab.

Thanks
Sean
Old 02-14-2018, 06:51 PM
Launching!

Great! Thanks for answering my questions.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True duals

Originally Posted by Speed Engineering
06murder: We dont have a price yet, but we're trying to keep it under 400.00. Its a custom muffler we had made for us. Straight through design with thick insulation.

black00chev: Good. One of the trucks being test fitted on is my personal 2008 4x4 crew cab.

03sierraslt: Its all 3" dia.

Thanks
Sean
Ive been trolling around this site for a couple weeks and now I have to ask....where are all the suburban and Tahoe guys?
Anyway Sean any plans for a kit to fit my 03 5.3 4x4 sub z71. Running dually now w/hush thrush just hacked off the flange on the y pipe and ran two tubes all the way down one side ( 30 gal tank fills the other side ) Sounds great and feels good but starting to get a little dated
Old 04-02-2018, 09:52 AM
Former Vendor

Its many pages back, but our truck kits will work on the Tahoe/Yukon's, however the hangers are in different locations from what we have heard. Being a suburban I am assuming you would need to extend the connection pipes as well.

Thanks
Sean

Quick Reply: Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Prototype..