Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Stainless works L/ts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 12:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stainless works L/ts?

I searched for a while and couldnt really find a whole lot. I am looking at buying a set of stainless works L/ts. How do they fit? any problems with them? They will be going on a 5.3 z71. Would they be better or about the same as pacesetters
Old 11-13-2008, 01:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Budhayes has some. I'm not sure if he had one of the first sets for the trucks but he had issues with fitment against the frame. If I was spending that kind of money on headers it would be dynatech hands down. Tried and proven.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have a set on my truck. I bought them in 2006. They fit really well, no leaks but I did have a problem with the transition y-pipe that mates to the catback. The mouth was not made large enough but Stainless Works gladly made me up a new one and have not had a problem since.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

I got mine in 05 but my drivers side rubed on the steering shaft a little when it turned. Nothing a hammer couldn't fix lol.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:56 AM
TECH Addict

well If i get the set i will be getting them used for cheaper than I could buy a set of pacesetters and ory for....the headers have like 10k on them and the y pipe is brand new. I just want somthing that will fit nice... i guess I can always get out the hammer
Old 11-13-2008, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I may of just gotten a bad set. I had to wait like freeking 6 weeks before i ever got them from summit.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:01 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As GMCtrk mentioned, the only problem that I had with mine was that they were tight on the passenger side frame, but it wasn't really a problem since I was test fitting them for StainlessWorks to see if they fit 99-02's. Prior to my truck they had only been test fit on 03+. I was able to get clearance though, by loosening the motor mounts and shifting the engine slightly, and a little prying on the primary tube that was close. I didn't even put a dent in the primary. They've been on my truck for a few years now and are holding up well, I'm very pleased with them
Old 11-13-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

I have had nothing but problems with my LT's and y-pipe. Ever since the install it has been running bad and misfiring and I checked everything sO I thought it was in the tune I took it to the tuner and I am 100 hp less than last tune and the tech says there is a resrtriction somewhere. i pull the y-pipe off and find the cats empty and debris in the exhaust I clean everything out replace the clogged muffler and take it back and still the same 100+ less hp than before. this weekend I am gonna pull the headers off since it is the only thing I have not checked and possibly put the old gibson shorties and stock y-pipe back on to see what happens. Just my experience so far.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

I hate to buy some because with my luck every possible problem will happen...
Old 11-13-2008, 06:46 PM
PSM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by terravast4
I have had nothing but problems with my LT's and y-pipe. Ever since the install it has been running bad and misfiring and I checked everything sO I thought it was in the tune I took it to the tuner and I am 100 hp less than last tune and the tech says there is a resrtriction somewhere. i pull the y-pipe off and find the cats empty and debris in the exhaust I clean everything out replace the clogged muffler and take it back and still the same 100+ less hp than before. this weekend I am gonna pull the headers off since it is the only thing I have not checked and possibly put the old gibson shorties and stock y-pipe back on to see what happens. Just my experience so far.
Did SSW do anything about the cats exploding? or was it all on you?

Quick Reply: Stainless works L/ts?