Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Stall Behavior from Stop

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 10:45 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Naked AV
What does 'breaking in' mean? Is it the TC that breaks in, or is it the driver getting used to the TC that really constitutes the breaking in?

At what RPM's does your truck start moving from a dead stop with a light throttle?
From a dead stop, it moves as soon as you let off the brake. Just like the stocker, just doesn't move as fast.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

You've had your 2600 for a while, right Ben? Are you like everyone else (it seems) who wishes they had gotten a 3000?
Sometimes, but only when I'm seeing how fast it is. I may get a PT3000.
I'm also curious how much longer it takes your truck to get moving in traffic from a stop, compared to stock.
Can't remember.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here is a good comparison. At my old house, I used to see how fast I could get it going by the time I got to the stop sign without giving it any throttle. I could usually get it up to about 15 with the stock one in there. After the TT3000 I could only make it to about 5-7. It is looser at the bottom, below 1500 I'll say, but pulls better closer to the stall speed. In traffic, driving 'normal' it usually revs to about 2000 before it starts picking up good. I drive with a heavy foot though, so yours may not be to bad.

I think the break in process is more getting all the air out of the converter and letting the clutches inside it seating up good. There isn't really a break in per say, but it does feel super loose after you first put it in. After running it for a while, it has tightened up and feels very nice. I'd do it again in a heart beat. I'm not sure I would go any higher though. It really seems to be a sweet spot.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:05 PM
TECH Addict

yup, loose at first, but tightens up after you drive it for a while. opposite of my ex GF's
Old 04-01-2004, 11:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KeukaZ71
go with the yank3000. no complaints. i tow alot. 20' boat. no problem there. very streetable. i was leery too. asked alot of questions before i got it. just do it. the best mod i did, along with posi. traction is the main issue. i can roast the tires easy now from a stand still. never could do that before the stall. makes driving fun. 4WD launches are nice. get good whiplash. fun to beat people off the line
I really don't see myself getting into any races from a standstill (though it could certainly happen I won't actively be looking for it...). One of the reasons I'm considering the TC is for torque multiplication at speed. I would likely be using it more from 30-60mph, or 60-90mph, etc. than for racing from a dead stop. Am I right in thinking that this type of acceleration will be helped with the TC?
Old 04-01-2004, 11:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Am I right in thinking that this type of acceleration will be helped with the TC?
YES ... it will help all around .. especially with some power.
Old 04-02-2004, 04:03 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Vig 3200 and it's a loose converter. Hopefully with the Nelson tune it will be more streetable.
Right now with the stock tune, if you give it half throttle it goes up around 1500 before it starts inching forward. Kind of annoying in traffic, but like I said, I think it will be better after the tune.
I'm a couple hours north of you in L.A. if you ever want to stop by
Old 04-02-2004, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Black Blown 02
My 3800 is a little loose around town. Kinda bugs me, but its worth it. It takes 2000-2500rpm to get moving at a stoplight at a normal pace with traffic.

I had a TT3000, and it took about 1500-2000 rpm to get moving at a normal pace with traffic.

Stock converter took about 1000-1200 rpm.

Get the 3000, with a good cooler I wouldn't worry about towing with it. Once you get it you'll think....OH, thats not so bad. then you'll feel the extra torque pulling you at 1/2, 3/4 and full throttle, and you won't want to go back. The 3000 is so streetable, Its better in everyday driving than the stocker.
Get the 2600 and you'll wish you'd got the 3000.

I can't think of anyone on here that's said the 3000 was too loose.
Yank TT3000 is the way to go! Not loose at all IMO. Very streetable, especially if you have a quiet exhaust. Everyones RPM info is bang on with mine. Went 4-wheelin for the first time with my TT3000 yesterday evening and in worked great. Just had some worries keeping the tranny temps down. Gotta get the tranny cooler in. Probably need to add a fan for running on the beach since you don't get much airflow at 25mph. Maybe the Flex-a-Lites will move enough air to keep the tranny cool? Time will tell. Otherwise my tranny temps are pretty low. 110 or so on the highway and 150 in town. Hope this helps!
Old 04-02-2004, 09:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OBXMarine
Yank TT3000 is the way to go! Not loose at all IMO. Very streetable, especially if you have a quiet exhaust. Everyones RPM info is bang on with mine. Went 4-wheelin for the first time with my TT3000 yesterday evening and in worked great. Just had some worries keeping the tranny temps down. Gotta get the tranny cooler in. Probably need to add a fan for running on the beach since you don't get much airflow at 25mph. Maybe the Flex-a-Lites will move enough air to keep the tranny cool? Time will tell. Otherwise my tranny temps are pretty low. 110 or so on the highway and 150 in town. Hope this helps!
Too bad there's no one around that has a TT3000 so I could ride in their vehicle or drive it. I'd even be willing to drive up to L.A. to do this - then I'd have an great excuse to visit my friend in Hollywood. (P.S. Chingon - sent you a PM)
Old 04-02-2004, 10:20 AM
Teching In

Too bad there's no one around that has a TT3000 so I could ride in their vehicle or drive it. I'd even be willing to drive up to L.A. to do this - then I'd have an great excuse to visit my friend in Hollywood. (P.S. Chingon - sent you a PM)
Hey Naked, im in San Diego and should have the TT3000 installed next Tuesday, If you want to check it out next week, Pm me so we can hook up somewhere.

Quick Reply: Stall Behavior from Stop