Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Started my cam swap today!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 12:31 AM
Pathological Modifier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Started my cam swap today!

I am so funny!

So I have this truck (2500HD) and I don't even have a aftermarket cold air kit! I do have a Flowchoker(Flowmaster) muffler and LS1 Edit. So, you say hey whats your first Mod going to be? I say Camshaft! LOL. I have a 216/220 114lsa cam that I slid home tonight. I am still changing the springs out right now but I am taking a break. So what next? Air intake, headers? I'll figure it out!

Just felt like posting something!

Later

Ryan K.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:39 AM
Banned

sweet, what are the lift numbers on that cam? i've seen some pretty bad *** numbers from a 5.7 with 218/222 lift on a 114 with .581ish lift and stock heads. hope it runs good and you enjoy it. headers and a stall/gears should help that out pretty well in the ole pick'em up truck.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hrmmm sounds like a nice cam... I'd like to know lift #s aswell.. I think slowverado is (read: should, be checkin on cams to help me pick) What brand etc....
Old 12-12-2003, 12:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey pacific North western.looks like you are use's to going fast with the Ls1 and not afraid to get your hands dirty or afraid of big cams.Long tube headers to answer your question but you already knew that. AZ speed or TOG. you may not know this but if you have to have an intake then UPD is the only way to go.You might save that $200 for last.Good Luck,And dont be a dick and not report back about your cam results.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

You call yourself the PCM doctor.Pretty confident,I may come vist it you to see your dyno and wide band.. ha welcome aboard i you havent been here before.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:08 AM
Pathological Modifier

Actually, its cause I am the PCM/Computer forum modertor. And no I have been around LS1's for a while now. My camaro is runing great and I can't wait to get back to the track. Mid/Low tens are in the VERY near future for the camaro (like the sig says, 414 solid roller Th400).

As far as the lift for the cam goes, its a .528 intake/.532 exhaust. This works really good as it alows me to run LS6 valve springs (great cost). My best pass this year bone stock was a 16.2 at 88mph (I think). And to make you guys happy I am dyno'ing the truck on Saturday. Unfortunatly, I don't have a before Dyno. I'll also be doing some tuning as I have my own Wideband O2 kit.

Is $239 the best/only price I am going to find the UPD for? Where's the BEST (read Cheapest) pace to get the TOG heades from?

Thanks for the interest!

Ryan K.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:57 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ryan Karasek
Actually, its cause I am the PCM/Computer forum modertor. And no I have been around LS1's for a while now. My camaro is runing great and I can't wait to get back to the track. Mid/Low tens are in the VERY near future for the camaro (like the sig says, 414 solid roller Th400).

As far as the lift for the cam goes, its a .528 intake/.532 exhaust. This works really good as it alows me to run LS6 valve springs (great cost). My best pass this year bone stock was a 16.2 at 88mph (I think). And to make you guys happy I am dyno'ing the truck on Saturday. Unfortunatly, I don't have a before Dyno. I'll also be doing some tuning as I have my own Wideband O2 kit.

Is $239 the best/only price I am going to find the UPD for? Where's the BEST (read Cheapest) pace to get the TOG heades from?

Thanks for the interest!

Ryan K.
Very cool to hear about a 2500HD cam swap, have contemplated doing so myself for way too long. Your going to have to tell us me especially how everything works out.
The best price on TOG headers is probley from www.tbyrne.com but remember FLP has a sale on the Dynatech headers and have a set up for 2500HD trucks very expensive but work as good as they look.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ryan, what else are you changing? Any pushrods retainers?
Old 12-12-2003, 07:58 AM
Pathological Modifier

I am not changing the pushrods or retainers, Just the cam and the springs. The nice thing about the 216/220 cam is that it is very similar to the LS6 cam. You only run into issues with the stock pushrods when you have valvle float, either induced by an over rev or by poor valve spring choice.

Ryan K.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:11 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice. My first mod on my 03 Silverado SS was LS1 Edit. My first "hardware" mod was a camshaft. I was impressed with the gains even without exhaust and other mods.

I'm assuming this is your tow vehicle, so please keep us informed at how well it tow with the cam upgrade. There are lots of guys thinking of doing cam upgrades, but not wanting to hurt low end performance.

Quick Reply: Started my cam swap today!