Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

starving for fuel!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 12:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default starving for fuel!

ok guys i installed a walbro 255 and when ever my truck gets below a qauter tank of gas, it bogs. I cant even fall out to pass or anything because it bogs and sputters so bad. Anything over a qauter tank it has plenty of fuel. What do you guys think can help this situation. Thanks!
Old 08-11-2010, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep more than a 1/4 tank in there. Or spend a **** load of money and make a custom fuel cell so that if you want to run zero gas in there you can
Old 08-11-2010, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

i try to keep it above a 1/4 but it seems that when ever it drops below that is when someone usually wants to try and race or somethin. It just gets aggervating bc its my dd and im always on a long trip to somewhere when im driving.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brandon6.0
i try to keep it above a 1/4 but it seems that when ever it drops below that is when someone usually wants to try and race or somethin. It just gets aggervating bc its my dd and im always on a long trip to somewhere when im driving.
Brandon, did you modify the bottom of your fuel pump bucket so it could seat all the way down to the filter sock? if not, thats probably your issue. let me know if you need some help with it
Old 08-11-2010, 02:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

shouldnt have any problems unless u did a hackjob to the bucket
Old 08-11-2010, 03:35 PM
12 Second Truck Club

My walbro 255 did the exact same thing. And it was also hard to start, so I got rid of it.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it is probably sucking air when its that low... and when its full theres no air to suck.. you probably dont have it sealed up good on the suction side of the pump and its sucking through the leak... when its full its no problem(except fuels not getting filtered through sock).. and when its low it sucking air...
Old 08-11-2010, 04:35 PM
TECH Resident

no jb i didnt modifie the bottom of the bucket and it does seem like it is sucking air or somethin. You might be right probably just need to let the pump set out the bottom of the bucket. I tried to make it work like the stock setup, but i guess i was wrong. also my truck sets pretty low in the *** end, so alot of the fuel is settin in the back of the tank anyways. What if i was to run a hose off the bottom of the pump bucket and let it set to the back of the tank and add the sock onto the end. Would it even suck fuel like that?
Old 08-11-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Resident

ok guys took the fuel pump back out to check over things and i noticed that the little check valve for the air to escape the fuel tank(i guess) had fell off into the tank. So i figured i would put it back on and try it. Well i noticed off the bat that my truck started up pretty good and man the difference in power never sputtered a lick and its below a 1/4 tank. How come somethin that simple could cause a problem. Could not be any happier guys.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by brandon6.0
ok guys took the fuel pump back out to check over things and i noticed that the little check valve for the air to escape the fuel tank ...
Where is this item located? A picture would be helpful.

Quick Reply: starving for fuel!