Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Step One: Complete.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 08:09 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Step One: Complete.

Drove down to Virginia yesterday, and this followed me home.

'06 LQ4 out of a Denali XL, 26,000 miles. This was the vehicle it came out of.

I probably paid a little more than I should have, but I liked that it didn't come out of a fleet vehicle, and that it wasn't rolled or in any kind of front end impact. Well worth 9 hours of driving.

Now I just have to get it out of my truck. Any advice for someone who's never attached an engine to a hoist before?
Old 11-21-2009, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks good! whats the plan for the motor?
Old 11-21-2009, 08:56 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome, how much did you pay for it?
Old 11-21-2009, 09:03 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by JakeBrakeIH
looks good! whats the plan for the motor?
I've still got to DD it for the next few years, so I'm thinking a fairly mild cam, pushrods, and valve springs for now.

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
Awesome, how much did you pay for it?
$1800 before tax. I know I didn't get a deal, but it was consistent with all of the other salvage yard prices.

For the engine hoist: Will I be ok bolting the chain to the heads, or should I try to go to the block? Forgive the dumb question, I've never done anything like this before (but I'd like to think I'm a quick learner).
Old 11-21-2009, 09:15 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can bolt the chain to the heads, that won't be a problem. That price doesn't sound so bad considering the low mileage...I know that if you bought it here in Jersey it would probably have been more.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:19 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by budhayes3
You can bolt the chain to the heads, that won't be a problem. That price doesn't sound so bad considering the low mileage...I know that if you bought it here in Jersey it would probably have been more.
Cool, thanks.

And you seem like a good guy to ask, do you know of anything I have to do with the DMV (or MVC or whateverthefuck they call themselves) once I get this thing in the truck?
Old 11-21-2009, 09:21 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DV2000NJ
Cool, thanks.

And you seem like a good guy to ask, do you know of anything I have to do with the DMV (or MVC or whateverthefuck they call themselves) once I get this thing in the truck?
Nope, you're good to go. If anyone asks, it's still the original motor bone stock lol
Old 11-21-2009, 09:26 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Nope, you're good to go. If anyone asks, it's still the original motor bone stock lol
Ah, I see...

Old 11-21-2009, 09:33 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is correct, no need for the DMV to know anything. Just make sure that the tune is spot on and that there isn't any codes or a check engine light when you go to inspection. We have the OBDII plug in for our emissions test, so as long as the readiness monitors have run and there aren't any codes stored in the PCM, you're golden. You'll need cats for the visual also (there doesn't have to be anything in the cats though, as long as the catalyst codes are turned off in the tune )
Old 11-21-2009, 09:44 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by budhayes3
That is correct, no need for the DMV to know anything. Just make sure that the tune is spot on and that there isn't any codes or a check engine light when you go to inspection. We have the OBDII plug in for our emissions test, so as long as the readiness monitors have run and there aren't any codes stored in the PCM, you're golden. You'll need cats for the visual also (there doesn't have to be anything in the cats though, as long as the catalyst codes are turned off in the tune )
Nice. I get inspected next month, and the motor won't be in until spring break at the earliest, so I'll be good for a while no matter what.

And I'll definitely run cats, my inner hippie takes over when it comes to cats.

Time to go pull that bitch out of the bed, and get the truck ready for my last trip of the season to E-Town tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Step One: Complete.