Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Steps to reduce pyrometer reading when towing???

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 04:39 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok found it autometer says after the turbo if applicable if not the 4" from header flange.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4.8T
ok found it autometer says after the turbo if applicable if not the 4" from header flange.
Mine is right on the manifold, I had the pyro and other guages installed at a shop, I questioned the placement but they said the recomended location was as close to an exhaust port as possible
Old 07-14-2005, 05:33 PM
12 Second Truck Club

well thats just what autometer says. so when i do mine thats where i will put it.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:42 PM
How do I change this text

well thats just what autometer says. so when i do mine thats where i will put it.

thats where I put mine
Old 07-14-2005, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

That's what I would do too. I only mentioned it because if everybody is comparing temps but does not have the probe in the same location than the comparisons are irrelavent (sp?) My 12-1400 degrees at the exhaust port may only be 1000 degrees if it was installed after the collector. So really he needs to get it on a wide band as the A:F is more important. Once that is correct then you just need to make a mental note of what your normal operating range is and stay within it. On a side note (and I would always go with a mfg's recomendation first) but I have always heard for turbos the pyro should be before the turbo because high heat 1200+ deg is death for the impeller and that's what you need to monitor. (maybe that's just for diesels )
Old 07-14-2005, 05:48 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
I have alwas worryed about my exhaust temps too, but me being turboed is a little different from SC when exhaust temps are being compared. Anyway with the 5.3 I seen exhaust temps hit 1400 with out towing but up a hill. now with the 6.0 the exhaust temp gauge goes up almost as fast as the boost gauge, My only guess is the 5.3 cats with 88,000 miles don't like the 6.0, so what year is you truck blowndenalixl? could exhaust restriction be a probplem?
have you tried gutting your cats or replacing them? it makes sence for this to couse high temps if you consider that when you look at bigger exhaust systems for desiel trucks they always say "lower your egt by ....." unless there full of it but it make since
Old 07-14-2005, 05:59 PM
How do I change this text

have you tried gutting your cats or replacing them? it makes sence for this to couse high temps if you consider that when you look at bigger exhaust systems for desiel trucks they always say "lower your egt by ....." unless there full of it but it make since

I when to the shop that has done all my exhaust work, he would not do it because of Emsions (sp). I will have to have it done in a nother county.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:47 AM
TECH Regular

Well this Friday I am going to have a chance to go to the a Supercharging expert in Calgary, Steve Eisenberg of Davenport Motorsports, and have the A/F looked at. Hope that will me know how things are.

Towed home the trailer from the lake today. Ran mostly 1300 to 1400, but when uphill around 1600 or so. Will be interested to see what the verdict is on my tune. Might have to pull the Wester tune, put in my Superchips tune, and have them mod it there.

2nd veh now with a Supercharger and heat problems. Duramax starting to look very attractive. 1 chip = 800 ft-lbs torque. Hmmmmm.

Thanks

D
Old 07-18-2005, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Really laying off the throttle is best. You're asking too much from it, it's the catalytic converters that will go first. Towing is more of a demand on an engine that a quick WOT blast down a dragstrip. For example, the reason the LQ4 in 2500 trucks has no Power Enrich mode in the stock programming is so that they can sustain long periods of open throttle without overheating the exhaust and converters. Same goes for the last two generations of bigblocks - they are tuned for towing. Superchargers are tuned for performance but you have to regulate it yourself. Generally you don't want to pull much more power up a grade than the engine would have in stock form.
Without seeing any raw data from your truck I would probably start by looking at timing advance.