Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Stock 2010 1500 Silverado w/6.2L

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock 2010 1500 Silverado w/6.2L

Hey guys, a friend of mine has a 2010 ext cab 2WD Silverado 1500 with the 6.2L. It's stock except for a Volant CAI. He's looking into putting an exhaust system on it. Would it be safe to run true dual Borla XR1s or would he need a Y-pipe setup? We're not worried about emissions here so that's not a factor. All he's worried about is that the truck runs right and hopefully has a gain in power from this (because we know it's going to sound good).
Old 01-16-2012, 03:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any headers gonna be installed ?
Old 01-16-2012, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

Eventually he wants headers but not for a few months.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Absolutely no gains from changing mufflers etc the stock 6.2 flows bad ***. Changing a mufffler is for a change in sound only. If your looking for HP then a set of full 1 7/8 long tubes are the way to go or just leave it alone.

My 6.2 will fly stock all i've done to it is get rid of resonator/ large case magnaflow muffler and volant CAI and haven't had time to leave it to get a tune done on it yet.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Absolutely no gains from changing mufflers etc the stock 6.2 flows bad ***. Changing a mufffler is for a change in sound only. If your looking for HP then a set of full 1 7/8 long tubes are the way to go or just leave it alone.

My 6.2 will fly stock all i've done to it is get rid of resonator/ large case magnaflow muffler and volant CAI and haven't had time to leave it to get a tune done on it yet.
How did you route your pipe after the resonator delete?
Old 01-16-2012, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Mainly, what I'm trying to figure out here is that if you run true duals, will it cause problems with the O2 sensors, making the truck run like crap?
Old 01-17-2012, 12:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

No need to run duals unless you just have a woody to have them. I left the resonator in place and welded up the siphon tube. The resonator is a straight thru piece of pipe that has a single hole thru the pipe with a j-tube that dumps inside the big can weld up the siphon tube and you just did a resonator delete.

I left the stock tailpipe in stock spot just swapped the muffler. GM did their homework on this exhaust system it is not restrictive and flows enough air for more than most people will ever put through it.

If you want duals whack off the crossover pipe in front of the y and dual it no foul no harm it's your truck mod as you please. You'll just save a **** ton of cash for other mods by not messing with the exhaust. A set of longtubes and stock everything else will make huge hp improvements.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:07 AM
TECH Addict

I agree with everything above.

If he just wants sound, headers with stock exhaust will get him there. The other exhaust work is a waste of money. And duals look stupid on 99% of trucks...

Also, does your friend not have a computer or internet?
Old 01-17-2012, 07:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Coban
I agree with everything above.

If he just wants sound, headers with stock exhaust will get him there. The other exhaust work is a waste of money. And duals look stupid on 99% of trucks...

Also, does your friend not have a computer or internet?
Lol, I think he has an old computer that he rarely uses. I'm just trying to help the guy spend his money

He already has two Borla XR1s so the money isn't the issue, but you're saying true duals are completely unnecessary? It's just hard for me to accept that two pipes aren't necessarily better than only one. For example, my car came from the factory with true duals
Old 01-17-2012, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bullhead00
Lol, I think he has an old computer that he rarely uses. I'm just trying to help the guy spend his money

He already has two Borla XR1s so the money isn't the issue, but you're saying true duals are completely unnecessary? It's just hard for me to accept that two pipes aren't necessarily better than only one. For example, my car came from the factory with true duals
One 3.5" pipe is more than enough for 400hp. It is plenty for 500hp even. The cross sectional area on 3.5" pipe is essentially the same as your dual 2.5". The stock cat back is the last place to look for power gains on a 6.2 truck. I wouldn't touch the exhaust until you add long tube headers, and even then, I'd still run the stock cat back.

Quick Reply: Stock 2010 1500 Silverado w/6.2L