Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

From stock 5.3 to 6.3

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 02:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From stock 5.3 to 6.3

Hello guys galls,
As a lot of people on here, Im looking for answers not knowing much about vehicles that are fuel injected, coil packs, knock sensors, cam sensors, crank sensor, etc. I have built a few clunkers threw the years, all with carburetors. 305's a few 350's and a 454 with my uncle for his 1 ton.
Anyway.....I have a 2001 GMC with a 5.3. I am not looking to rebuild that engine rather I have started buying parts to build a 4" stroker with a 5.3L block. A few things.
1. I was told that with the 3.902 bore that the stage 2.5 heads would bog it down and they would not flow correctly. That I should go with the stage 2 heads in a 799 cast. I am not educated in the new LS engine. So I am looking for input on what heads to get for this bore. I know there are many. Just want the best bang for the least amount of money. looking to spend no more than $1,500 for aftermarket. Less if possible or just have the factory heads ported and get new springs, valves, etc, and a set of roller rockers somewhere around the 7.1 area.
2. Once built, larger crank, larger heads, different cam, larger intake with 102 throttle body....you just dont slap it in the truck and expect it to run because of the electronics. the sensors, the computer....????????
Once I get it in there and hooked up then what? I mean do you put the factory sensors in like the crank and cam and knock sensors? what about the Mass airflo? all that is the same? and then will need someone to tune the computer to get it to run? I just dont understand that part of it. Like the amount of fuel the injectors will be spraying etc.
I know Im asking for a novel here. Would like to hear back from you guys.
Thanks,
Ferrell Rooster

trying to duplicate this build from Truckin mag. 2011 build. From the #'s from the dyno, this combo seems to have put out the most Torque from other combos I have researched looking for a build.

Block: Stock (bored to 3.9020)........................................... .........................bought..at machinist
Crank: 4340 forged 4.0-inch stroker, Procomp Electronics..................................bough t
Rods: 4340 6.2-inch, Procomp Electronics....................................... ................shopping , not sure of the length @ 6.2
Pistons: Flat-top forged piston, Probe Industries (3.902 bore).............................bought
Cam: COMP 289LR HR14 .624. lift, 239/242 duration split, 114 LSA.......................bought
Heads: TEA Stage 2.5 LS6 .................................................. ...........?????? looking for alternative heads (cost) and other info from other builds from members about this combo
Intake: LSXRT............................................. ...............................................sho pping
TB: FAST 102 mm................................................ .......................................shopping
Headers: 17⁄8-inch long-tube...shopping....may go with 1 5/8 availability and cost

numbers from Truckin mag with this setup and combo on a dyno. Not in vehicle.
Peak Power: 603 hp at 6,400 rpm
Peak Torque: 544 lb-ft at 5,400 rpm
Torque Curve: Exceeded 525 lb-ft of torque from 4,400-5,900 rpm

Last edited by ferrellrooster; 05-23-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

Man I cant get one person to comment. I will check back tomorrow.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 565 Likes on 487 Posts

Well with 1 hour and 20 minutes between your posts, thats not a long time for many members with knowledge of what you want to hear to have time to read it and post.

Sorry I can't be of help, but give it a few hours or just check back tomorrow.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:20 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1 If you are happy with the numbers the magazine made use the same heads the cost between ported 243/799 compared to ported 5.3 heads isn't that much especially considering its going on a stroker build. 2 You are definitely going need good tune and if your not well versed in tuning I wouldn't try. You can use all the factory sensors and harnesses but a injector swap and possibly a fuel pump swap will be needed.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default what

what are you looking to do with this motor ? race or street ?
are you looking for HP or TQ in this combo ?
what is this going into ? trans and rear setup ?
Old 05-22-2014, 11:57 AM
Launching!

Well my TSP built 404 would be about that size and with a stock TB and Intake it makes 460rwhp so about 520 crank HP.

I am putting on a ported TBSS intake and a 92mm Nick Williams TB in the next couple of weeks and will report any gains.

PS...my truck has no MAF and is tuned for Speed Density
Old 05-23-2014, 03:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 726.0chevelle
1 If you are happy with the numbers the magazine made use the same heads the cost between ported 243/799 compared to ported 5.3 heads isn't that much especially considering its going on a stroker build. 2 You are definitely going need good tune and if your not well versed in tuning I wouldn't try. You can use all the factory sensors and harnesses but a injector swap and possibly a fuel pump swap will be needed.

I was quoted $2,000 for stage 2. They said for the small bore than the 2.5 would choke the heads down that the stage 2 is the way to go, but if the the #'s put up by Truck'n build is correct it didnt look like the 2.5's they used choked that sucker down one bit.
And no I dont have the knowledge of equipment to tune this thing once built. So you think I "DO" need diff injectors? and fuel pump? Like what??? I mean...injector and pump size? Yea it didnt6 have anything in the article about that. I thought I could use the factory injectors. Thanks for the info. I will look forward to hearing back about injectors and fuel pump.

Last edited by ferrellrooster; 05-23-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by turboal1
what are you looking to do with this motor ? race or street ?
are you looking for HP or TQ in this combo ?
what is this going into ? trans and rear setup ?
Im going to drive it and pull a boat. And of course if I feel the need when not hooked up to the boat, dog the crap out of it. Its going in the GMC Sierra I have. 2001 model X-cab. And im looking probably for more touque with the pulling. As far as the trans. I have the 4L60E and I know I will need the 400 or 4L80E. I figure I will use what I have in it until I sling it out which may not take to long with the amount this engine should put out.
As far as rear end.....I like whats in it. As far as being able to hook up on the highway. I dont want a low geared truck for a 1/4-1/2 mile drag strip. I want to be able to drive this thing more than just a few seconds on the weekend if you know what I mean.
THANKS!!
Old 05-24-2014, 12:39 PM
Staging Lane

anyone else have any advice on heads for a 3.902 bore? At a reasonable price...like under $1,500? And maybe a cam variable other than what I plan to use that someone has tried. I know there are many of yall that have made these engines that I have read about on here. Just looking for alternatives. I dont have to build this exact motor that I have listed above. also any other mods that may have to be considered or done to change this from a 5.3 to a 6.3L? Injectors, fuel pump, etc...thanks
Old 05-25-2014, 12:48 AM
Staging Lane

I have a 2010 crewcab that I stroked to 6.3 Im running dart 205 heads. I had Justin from blackbear tune it and I did have to go to bigger injectors. I think Im running 39lb/hr injectors with a stock pump. I recently swapped to a Lunati 227/233 cam had the heads ported by a local guy and installed a fast lsxrt. Im still tuning but so far its awsome

Quick Reply: From stock 5.3 to 6.3