Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

From stock 5.3 to 6.3

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 06:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a good plan, a couple points:

1. are your pistons sized to work with the 6.2 rods?
2. I recommend the LSXRT with porting by Tony Mamo.
3. I strongly recommend to have Patrick G handle all your tuning needs.
4. Go with the 1 7/8" headers if you can fit them. 1 3/4" should be considered the minimum.

Check out my thread link below, you may find some more useful info there. Good luck, keep us posted!
Old 05-26-2014, 04:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast6.3
I have a 2010 crewcab that I stroked to 6.3 Im running dart 205 heads. I had Justin from blackbear tune it and I did have to go to bigger injectors. I think Im running 39lb/hr injectors with a stock pump. I recently swapped to a Lunati 227/233 cam had the heads ported by a local guy and installed a fast lsxrt. Im still tuning but so far its awsome
Right on...I did hear many good things about black bear after rresearching that I would have to have the computer tuned or whatever they do to make a modified engine run. Im in New Orleans though. And what I have read is that they need the vehicle on site. Like a local shop, I have heard that you can just tell them what mods you have made and they can flash it. Soooo ???? Bring the vehicle in or just send computer in with mods?
Also...read about injectors, also were several guys on here had problems with the Fast LSXRT. One guy bought that with the fuel rails and injectors from them and when he turned the key for the first time, it caught on fire from a leak from the injector/rail seal. Liked to burnt his entire house down.
How has your luck been with that intake? Are you happy with it? It is a $1,000 investment for that piece plus injectors and rails.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RezinTexas
Sounds like a good plan, a couple points:

1. are your pistons sized to work with the 6.2 rods?
2. I recommend the LSXRT with porting by Tony Mamo.
3. I strongly recommend to have Patrick G handle all your tuning needs.
4. Go with the 1 7/8" headers if you can fit them. 1 3/4" should be considered the minimum.

Check out my thread link below, you may find some more useful info there. Good luck, keep us posted!
The build says 6.2 rods, but I was holding off on purchasing them until I talked to the guy helping me build this thing. Wee both have been real busy at work. And Im gathering info. I can bolt something together, but not a master mechanic by any means and he is so I want to get his approval on exact rods. He did look at the build sheet and said yea get the parts, but as I read many threads and gather info, I believe i need to make a decision on heads first? The block I found on ebay. brand spanking new for $200. Gave it to my mech and he has it at his buddy's machinist shop were he gets all his work done.
As far as the rods and pistons sized, they do have the 6.2 rods to work with the pistons. Yes there is a certain ones that go with them in the 6.2" that are just for this piston.
2) I have read many good things about the LSXRT. But then I read from people that have actually built engines and they say they are crap. So I dont know what to think about that one. And who is Patrick G.? Where is he located? Im in New Orleans LA. You are saying I would have to just send computer out not bring the vehicle to him correct?
3) and yes I do believe the 1-7/8 are the only option....hehehe..I dont know why I even thought about the 1 5/8 after spending this kinda money to choke it down with a 1 5/8.

Any one else have any Head alternatives? Or suggestions? And info on why?
I have been waiting for a long time and saving a long time to do this build. Im foaming at the mouth..THANKS GUYS!!
Old 05-27-2014, 10:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ferrellrooster
Hello guys galls,
As a lot of people on here, Im looking for answers not knowing much about vehicles that are fuel injected, coil packs, knock sensors, cam sensors, crank sensor, etc. I have built a few clunkers threw the years, all with carburetors. 305's a few 350's and a 454 with my uncle for his 1 ton.
Anyway.....I have a 2001 GMC with a 5.3. I am not looking to rebuild that engine rather I have started buying parts to build a 4" stroker with a 5.3L block. A few things.
1. I was told that with the 3.902 bore that the stage 2.5 heads would bog it down and they would not flow correctly. That I should go with the stage 2 heads in a 799 cast. I am not educated in the new LS engine. So I am looking for input on what heads to get for this bore. I know there are many. Just want the best bang for the least amount of money. looking to spend no more than $1,500 for aftermarket. Less if possible or just have the factory heads ported and get new springs, valves, etc, and a set of roller rockers somewhere around the 7.1 area.
2. Once built, larger crank, larger heads, different cam, larger intake with 102 throttle body....you just dont slap it in the truck and expect it to run because of the electronics. the sensors, the computer....????????
Once I get it in there and hooked up then what? I mean do you put the factory sensors in like the crank and cam and knock sensors? what about the Mass airflo? all that is the same? and then will need someone to tune the computer to get it to run? I just dont understand that part of it. Like the amount of fuel the injectors will be spraying etc.
I know Im asking for a novel here. Would like to hear back from you guys.
Thanks,
Ferrell Rooster

trying to duplicate this build from Truckin mag. 2011 build. From the #'s from the dyno, this combo seems to have put out the most Torque from other combos I have researched looking for a build.

Block: Stock (bored to 3.9020)........................................... .........................bought..at machinist
Crank: 4340 forged 4.0-inch stroker, Procomp Electronics..................................bough t
Rods: 4340 6.2-inch, Procomp Electronics....................................... ................shopping , not sure of the length @ 6.2
Pistons: Flat-top forged piston, Probe Industries (3.902 bore).............................bought
Cam: COMP 289LR HR14 .624. lift, 239/242 duration split, 114 LSA.......................bought
Heads: TEA Stage 2.5 LS6 .................................................. ...........?????? looking for alternative heads (cost) and other info from other builds from members about this combo
Intake: LSXRT............................................. ...............................................sho pping
TB: FAST 102 mm................................................ .......................................shopping
Headers: 17⁄8-inch long-tube...shopping....may go with 1 5/8 availability and cost

numbers from Truckin mag with this setup and combo on a dyno. Not in vehicle.
Peak Power: 603 hp at 6,400 rpm
Peak Torque: 544 lb-ft at 5,400 rpm
Torque Curve: Exceeded 525 lb-ft of torque from 4,400-5,900 rpm

Also with this set up they had 11.1 compression. But they didnt mention type of fuel. They did have what they called a "mild" version of this set up with dish pistons which dropped the compression to around 10.1 if I remember correctly. And they did mention it would be a DD. But this "wild" version (parts listed above) pushed the limits of a DD. I cant buy racing fuel for a DD if you know what I mean.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:41 AM
Staging Lane

Test Motor #4-Mild 383 Stroker

Block: Stock (Bored to 3.902)
Crank: 4340 forged 4.0-inch stroker-Procomp Electronics
Rods: 4340 6.2-inch, Procomp Electronics
Pistons: 21cc dish forged piston, Probe Industries (3.902 bore)
Cam: COMP XR275HR .566/.568 lift split, 222/224 duration split, 112 LSA
Heads: TEA Stage 1 CNC 5.3L
Intake: Stock
TB: Accufab 78 mm
Headers: QTP 1¾-inch long-tube
Peak Power: 506 hp at 5,700 rpm
Peak Torque: 503 lb-ft at 4,700 rpm
Torque Curve: Exceeded 475 lb-ft of torque from 3,800-5,500 rpm

Though the 5.3L LM7 offers plenty of power in modified form, the torque production is ultimately limited by the displacement. The cure for this limitation is as simple as adding inches, in this case jumping from 324 ci to a full 383 ci. The increased displacement will improve not only peak power, but more importantly, average torque production. Basically the bigger motor can make more power everywhere. The additional displacement allows you to equal the power output of the wild 5.3-liter with a much milder combination. The benefit of going the stroker route is improved fuel mileage (over the wild-cammed 5.3-liter) and monster torque curve. The 5.3L block was bored to accept 3.902 forged pistons from Probe Racing, and then combined with a 4.0-inch stroker crank and 6.2-inch rods from Procomp Electronics. The stroker short-block was topped with the same TEA-ported 5.3L heads used on the mild 5.3-liter. Wanting a daily driver, we chose a mild COMP XR275HR cam. The combination offered plenty of power, peaking at 506 hp at 5,700 rpm and 503 lb-ft of torque at 4,700 rpm. Torque production was up by 100 lb-ft over the stock 5.3-liter at 3,000 rpm and by 90 lb-ft at 3,500 rpm.

Test Motor #5-Wild 383 Stroker

Block: Stock (bored to 3.9020)
Crank: 4340 forged 4.0-inch stroker, Procomp Electronics
Rods: 4340 6.2-inch, Procomp Electronics
Pistons: Flat-top forged piston, Probe Industries (3.902 bore)
Cam: COMP 289LR HR14 .624. lift, 239/242 duration split, 114 LSA
Heads: TEA Stage 2.5 LS6 (1.72 roller rockers)
Intake: LSXRT
TB: FAST 102 mm
Headers: American Racing Headers 17⁄8-inch long-tube
Peak Power: 603 hp at 6,400 rpm
Peak Torque: 544 lb-ft at 5,400 rpm
Torque Curve: Exceeded 525 lb-ft of torque from 4,400-5,900 rpm

Like the wild 5.3-liter, this 383 version pushed the limits of driveability, but boy howdy did it make power. Using a 5.3L block, we bored and stroked the 5.3-liter to achieve a final displacement of 383 ci. Unlike the mild version that featured a static compression of 9.5:1, this 383 was sporting flat-top pistons that pushed the static compression ratio to 11.0:1. The elevated compression ratio was combined with a set of TEA Stage 2.5 LS6 heads, an aggressive COMP 289LR HR14 cam and FAST LSRXT (truck) intake. Wanting to maximize power, we even installed a set of 1.72:1-ratio aluminum roller rockers and swapped out the 1¾-inch headers for larger 1⅞-inch versions from American Racing Headers. The extra breathing paid off, as the 5.3L 383ci stroker produced 603 hp and 544 lb-ft of torque. Torque production exceeded 525 lb-ft from 4,400 rpm to 5,900 rpm, making for one sweet torque curve.

So this is were I came up with the combo's and want to build the Wild and use as a DD. What do you think? I may be asking for trouble as a DD with having to have a stall and all. What do you guys think?
Here is the link to the page:
5.3L Bow Tie Builds Mild To Wild - Chevy LM7 Engines - Truckin Magazine All Pages

Last edited by ferrellrooster; 05-27-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Patrick is located in Victoria TX. He traveled to Houston to do my tuning for a fee, so traveling to NO will likely be a larger fee. I strongly recommend his services especially if you get the LSXRT.

The Guerra Group
Old 05-27-2014, 07:58 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the fast intake is out of budget you might look into that edelbrock intake its about 3 or 4 hundred less. Also there are several great tuners around baton rouge and walker area such as futral motorsports in walker

Last edited by 726.0chevelle; 05-27-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RezinTexas
Patrick is located in Victoria TX. He traveled to Houston to do my tuning for a fee, so traveling to NO will likely be a larger fee. I strongly recommend his services especially if you get the LSXRT.

The Guerra Group
Man I looked at your build page...freakn awesome. Thanks for the advice on the LSXRT. The thing is just so dang high. Like $850-$1000 for the 102mm. And I just dont want to go with the 92 fast and TB but may have to with the cost of the entire build. But then again, I cant let a few hundred get into the way of something like this. May just have to save longer.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 726.0chevelle
If the fast intake is out of budget you might look into that edelbrock intake its about 3 or 4 hundred less. Also there are several great tuners around baton rouge and walker area such as futral motorsports in walker
That may be the ticket being Im in New Orleans. Definitely have to look into that for sure. The Mechanic I have, works in the shop here at the dealership. He is a gear head for sure but he builds his cars with carbs so this is also going to be a new one on him with the fuel injection and the LS in general. So knowing someone that knows what they are doing to tune these newer LS engines seems to be a must.
So "Fural Motorsports" in Walker? thats not to far. Im not exactly "IN" N.O. but very close to Kenner area which is about 10 min away.
Thanks again.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

i built a 383 with the 2.5 heads and havent had an issue with them. i did however LOATHE the LSXRT and i want to punch the designer in the nuts. its a 1000 dollar piece of ****.

Quick Reply: From stock 5.3 to 6.3