Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

stock converter re-stall

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock converter re-stall

there's a local place here that says they can restall a stock converter to whatever speed you'd want. is this safe, effective, practical? i'm sure it would be much cheaper than buying a yank or other aftermarket converter. however there's got to be a downside to it. would it kill towing ability?
Old 09-16-2004, 12:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a very interesting question that I would like to know the answer to as well. To bad there aren't as many tranny experts here as there are forced induction experts...

Let's hope for an answer. Did you post this in the Tranny forum as well?
Old 09-16-2004, 12:43 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Naked AV
This is a very interesting question that I would like to know the answer to as well. To bad there aren't as many tranny experts here as there are forced induction experts...

Let's hope for an answer. Did you post this in the Tranny forum as well?
personally, I don't get much help when I venture outside our 4 topic truck domain.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get good input from the Internals section guys. I think the issue in the Tranny section is that there's just not a lot of knowedge. Perhaps this would be one to go over to Full Size with....
Old 09-16-2004, 03:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont yanks have different internals??
Old 09-16-2004, 04:14 AM
TECH Resident

I'm sure someone can give you a good answer. I don't see how it would kill towing anymore than any of aftermarket stall depending on the stall speed but I am no expert.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:01 AM
Formerly one92rs

Talking

you can do this. i have had mine done since my tranny was done. been a few months now and i am very happy with it. the most they can go is 2500 and be safe with it. mine cost me 359.00. i think it is a great mod as well. circle d here in houston did work on the verter and century automotive did the tranny. good luck with it.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

re-stalling a stock converter is great for the price...but there are a few downsides guys....

* You staill have the stock internals...nothing has been upgraded the way it is in an aftermarket converter (no furnace brazed fins, etc...)

* Efficiency at high-rpm's goes completely to ****......you end up using ALOT more horsepower at higher rpms to do the same work than you would with a properly designed aftermarket converter

* Two words: stock clutch......the factory lockup clutch was NEVER designed to handle the abuse that it will recieve when you lock it up under the stall speed (this is why aftermarker converters have much heavier duty clutches)

* To re-stall they have to BEND the fins.....that can create stress cracks in the metal and create a weak point, start adding power and the converter will most likely
Old 09-16-2004, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

ok thanks yelo thats what i was wondering. i do have a second stock stall laying around. maybe i'll just try my luck and if its sucks i'll just switch back
Old 09-16-2004, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02denali
you can do this. i have had mine done since my tranny was done. been a few months now and i am very happy with it. the most they can go is 2500 and be safe with it. mine cost me 359.00. i think it is a great mod as well. circle d here in houston did work on the verter and century automotive did the tranny. good luck with it.
I paid $400 for my PI and it still had a free restall. The guy said it had about 1K miles which seemed about right given the color. At least that is what the guy who installed it said. I would pay a little more and get the better internals and a converter built for what we are trying to accomplish.

Quick Reply: stock converter re-stall