Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

STS base kit and water...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 06:17 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS base kit and water...

Ok, good day for testing.

It was raining like cats and dogs today and my motor already isn't happy with me soooo I decided to put the stock filter and sock on and do some testing on my way to run errands.

On low boost and in auto 4wd I drove to the doctors office in pouring rain on some back country highway behind a diesel truck, then onto the freeway, then sat in traffic for a broken stoplight. Durring this time when I would accelerate I would see 5psi at part throttle (getting onto the freeway or passing) and at full throttle. Now I didn't wanna risk driving through giant puddles and mashing it but with all the rain and soaking you'd think the filter took it did remarkably well and I never felt 1 hiccup..

So for those with the base kit or base filter and are worried about rain, I wouldn't be. Unless you act stupid and try mashing through rivers, ponds, tributaries, deltas etc. you shouldn't have any issues. Now with bigger filters, high boost, and no sock....... well, you read my other warning thread right?
Old 11-04-2004, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thx for the testing and results, Justin.
Now if I can only get my hands on the Hemi kit.......
Old 11-04-2004, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

F8L, I just bougt the Chevy High Performance mag and I saw something in it that could be very usefull to you. It isnt nitrous, but it is a bottle of liquid cardon dioxide that cools your intake air. It is controlled by a activation switch like nitrous the sight is www.DesignEngineering.com. It would really cool down some IAT's
Old 11-04-2004, 03:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by onequick5.3
F8L, I just bougt the Chevy High Performance mag and I saw something in it that could be very usefull to you. It isnt nitrous, but it is a bottle of liquid cardon dioxide that cools your intake air. It is controlled by a activation switch like nitrous the sight is www.DesignEngineering.com. It would really cool down some IAT's

This isn't new and the import crowd has been using them for a couple years now.

The downside is that it gets used up quickly. Quicker then Nitrous use.

What I think any FI application shold look into water injection as an alternative to detonation.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:27 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I already have methanol injection to cool things down even further but as is I am only maybe 20-30deg above ambient on a full high boost pass.

Thanks for the lookin out though *thumbs up*
Old 11-04-2004, 05:32 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like the Hemi kit going to have a water problem. Looks like the filter falls right were the bed meets the cab.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I think I am going to solve this problem with a snorkel and/or sock.

How much performance is lost with the sock on?

F8L- do you have a picture of and STS kit with the snorkel on it?
Old 11-05-2004, 10:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ktmrider
Thx for the testing and results, Justin.
Now if I can only get my hands on the Hemi kit.......

I was just at the SEMA show with STS and I was at the proving grounds with their HEMI truck. Looks good and rides nice. Give us a call when you are ready to order one. I think I might be able to start selling them soon.

Rick
Old 11-05-2004, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rick@Synergy
I was just at the SEMA show with STS and I was at the proving grounds with their HEMI truck. Looks good and rides nice. Give us a call when you are ready to order one. I think I might be able to start selling them soon.

Rick
Sent you a PM, thanks!
Old 11-09-2004, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Verdict is out on the price and availability as of last night. MSRP is $4995 ( yikes! ) with the ECU and drivetrain? control modules. Release date is Jan 1st 2005.
Sighhhhhhhhhh, more money and more waiting. Hope this means my early deposit puts me up on the list?!?

Quick Reply: STS base kit and water...