Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

STS LQ9 in ECSB GMC....comments, experiences, advice, Please

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 12:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS LQ9 in ECSB GMC....comments, experiences, advice, Please

I had a 2000 TA for 2 years that I did alot to and then had to sell it to go back to school. I am familiar with LS1 based vehicles performance, tunning, short comings, etc.... Now I am married have a child and would still like to have a vehicle that is fun to drive, utilitarian, fast enough to beat most any mustang and some LS1 F-body's.
The following scenerio is for a 1/2 ton 5.3 ECSB GMC truck that will be my everday driver:
-Brand New stock LQ9 345Hp/380Tq from SDPC
-STS turbo kit w/ all the extras (no more than 8-10psi)
-SMC alky kit
-Custom tunning with LS1edit
-stock exhaust system with gutted cats
-rebuild the 4l60e or get a used 4l80e
-stock or slightly larger replacement converter
-rear-end replaced/upgraded after it goes out

I am looking for no more than 450rwhp and 500rwtq out of this combination.

I have thought about getting a built bottom end, porting the heads, etc....
but a beleive my performance gains and expectations can be met by an LQ9 with 5-10psi without nearing the limits of the engine.
The transmission is where I have not made a real decision:
-I can get my 4l60e built up by a local tranny shop that do many performance builds for about $1,000, but I still doubt the ability of the trans to hold up to the horsepower and expecially the torque.
-I am not sure how cheap I could find a used 4l80e, but I can get a Hughes built 4l85e for about $2,500.
-I am wanting to stick with the stock converter or a near stock unit for fuel mileage reasons and the fact that this will be a daily driver. Also it is a pain to adjust shift points with edit, I did it on my TA that had a 3500 stall.
I don't really care about turbo lag as I had a T-type with alot of upgrades, larger turbo, and only the stock converter, and enjoyed it because I didn't have to worry about frying the tires on anything or 30mph.

I have read countless posts and research and beleive my hp expectations are reasonable and would like any comments or advice for those who would like to give it. The transmission area is where I need more info such as pricing and total cost for the swap to the 4l80e or if you think that a built 4l60e could hold up to the hp/tq ratings.
ANYTHING anybody has to offer is GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you for your time and help, James Hyde.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

go for it. you should easily make the power you wanted with that setup. but you are also in the same boat as alot of us with the little 4l60e Nightmarechevy is working on installing his built 4l60e by jag so in a couple of days you can hear more about it from him
Old 06-10-2005, 12:50 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get an lq4 it has a lower cr which is better for boosted apps and get the 80e it will cost you a little for the conversion but you will not have to worry about reliability. A grand for a performance 60 e is not going to do it my 60e cost me three grand the 5 pinion planets alone are 500.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:09 PM
Teching In

I looked at Jags site and I believe they build up a 4l65e which already has the 5 pinion planet. It will be interesting to see how well it holds up and will help me with my decision.
I will probably just go with the Hughes 4l85e from Pace performance parts, but still need more info on cost and everything involved (crossmember, driveshaft, etc...)
The LQ4 does have lower compression but I am not all that worried about the 10.1cr in the LQ9 since I am not going to be running really high boost (nothing over 8-10psi) and I will have an SMC alky kit (same type as the one I had on my T-type) which will take care of any detonation possibilties.

Thank you for the comments and advice....everything helps me in my decision making and justification process.

It's nice when your wife gives you the thumbs up and enjoys the car hobbie also. That and she feels guilty because I gave up all my fast cars for a family and to go back to school and share a car that has 100fwhp
I miss being able to silence those obnoxious mustangs...like little chihuauha's that bark like crazy until you get near them and they run away.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:25 PM
Teching In

-I found that FLP makes their stage 4 4l80e for $2150. This should be plenty for my needs. Can somone give me a quick overview on the necessary items that I need for the swap (only a 2wd).
-The LQ9 comes complete with the flywheel...shouldn't it match up to the 4l80e?
-I will be replacing the stock intank unit with a 255 walbro pump. Also, I know it would be best to replace the stock injectors on the LQ9, but would the stockers be ok to 5psi with the alky kit?
-With anything over 5psi (if that) what direct fit injector should I get and who sells them? Could I just get the 8.1L injectors (~30lb/hr) since I will not run over 10psi?
-I plan to add LS6 or 918 springs so as to eliminate valve float, but would I benefit from an LS6 cam? I'm assuming it has larger lift than the LQ9 and the 117 lsa would help driveability and be good with the turbo.
-Does anyone know the specs for the LQ9 cam?

Using stock tires, maybe drag radials, anybody want to make a guess on my 1/4mi time/mph?

Thanks again, James.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:47 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as the swap goes you will have to have a new driveshaft new crossmember and there is some wiring stuff that you will have to do. It will bolt right up to the 6L. The ls6 cam from what I have heard moves the power up higher in the rpm but will give you a little more. As far as injectors go even with 5psi on the radix they upgrade to 43lb/hr I beleive I would recommend spending the 300 bucks and not taking a chance on runnning your engine lean. As far 1/4 mile times go if I had to guess with the 6L proper tuning ls6 cam with the springs you would be able to shift at about 6300-6400 with drag radials and 8psi I would guess you would be in the mid 400hp range at the wheels and that should put you in the low 13's would be my guess in ecsb. BTW 8.1L injectors arent going to do you much more good the stockers are like 24lb's.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

if you are going to do a cam swap you might as well di it right and put in a biger can them a ls6 cam. also you will need to use the copm 918 springs if you go with a decent size cam. you can pick up a set of 42lb injectors of the form hear for a good price. and for your tranny this link might help http://speed-eng.com/store/index.php?cPath=23_940_1409
Old 06-11-2005, 08:39 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, all you need for those boost levels is 42# and you can get some Multec Stubbies (GM 8.1 Marine or Racetronix, etc.).

You can run the LQ9 at 10psi all day long everday with meth and never have trouble. 12psi was a little to hot for me (IATs got too high). Being 2wd, the 80 will be an easier swap (new crossmember or modified stock), new shaft, etc., but an FLT L5 will support those power levels til the cows come home. The FLP 80 will support it as well but doesn't have as nice a first gear and will sacrifice more to drivetrain loss. If you switch to the 80, you can't keep the stock converter. I'd think about a custom PI 10.5" 3 disc as well. They can put in a turbo stator that lets you brake stall for the turbo but acts like a smaller converter for daily driving. It's what I have and I love it.

I'd suggest a progressive controler for the meth (not sure if SMC is progressive? AlkyControls is if not) and an upgrade to the GT67 from STS.

I'd do the LQ9 as well. By the time you decide to crank it past 10psi (if ever), you'll be wanting to go forged anyway and can do a custom CR at that point.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:06 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the help guys. I checked out speed eng. last night and for the trans and everything needed for the swap, it comes out to be $2964 without shipping.
I will just have to see how your flp level 5 and the jag unit hold up because I would rather stick with the 4l65e design(not as much hassle) since I will never see anything over 450rwhp. That and the truck will never have slicks and probably won't get DR's, so the torque and stress will take alot longer to wear things down.
This truck will be an everday driver and just for fun, so gas mileage is still a big factor. I had a t-type that I replaced/upgraded everything except the short block, converter and trans. I didn't mind the turbo lag(1-2s) with the stock converter because it didn't blow the tires off. My trans am would just fry DR's from anything below 40mph and I had a hard time getting e.t. streets to hook up.
It is always funner to fly past someone than get the jump and try and stay ahead.
I found the mutec 44lb/hr injectors that racetronix sells($375 shipped) which is what will go in.
The SMC kit is progressive and a very nice peice...had it on the t-type.
I have kinda talked myself outta the cam and just replace the springs and pushrods for strength. A bigger cam would give me nice gains but would not be worth the mpg decrease and tunning hassle I would get. It was a pain and took forever to tune my TA with the HotCam and Yank 3500stall. I found out that the Hotcam is one of the hardest to tune because of the huge difference in duration between int. and ext.
More than likely the truck will never turn more than 6000rpm since longevity is a big concern.
With turbo buicks everyone uses the scanmaster for tunning and they have alot of advice and experience with them. However none of the LSx based vehicles seem to use them. I had one on my t-type and liked it since it gave you just about everything. Anybody used one or know how well they work for the LSx based vehicles?

Thanks again for all the advice, James.