Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

STS or ProCharger?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 02:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lag isnt really what i mean, the ati doesnt build boost till way high RPM, turbo you could have that at 3000k even if you have 1 sec of lag, if you are pulling somthing its going to make it alot hard to gain rpm so the atis boost will be lower than the turbo. now obviously the radix would excel in low rpm but i think ( could be wrong wrong ) that u can get better mpg out of a turbo which might be helpful for long distance driving/towing.

Just saying for someone that doesnt have a power adder yet, I think this is the hot ticket, now if I owned a different s/c i wouldnt bother.

Originally Posted by Delux 02
your going to have same lag with the procharger as with the sts. if you want instant boost id get a radix
Old 05-26-2004, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually the STS system wasmt origianlly designed with track times in mind it was designed for towing which included lowering a boat into a lake. If you are afriad of a puddle you shouldnt have a K&N nor a truck. You should drive a little car with your skirt tucked in hehehe. And if you're really that concerned about the water in the filter then just make a snorkal theres your problem solved, now you have a : cooler running turbo, greater efficiency than parasidict(don't know if that is spelled right but it means it takes power to make power. As you all know anything running on a pully draws HP and TRQ) drag superchargers, Your under engine temps arent 10times hotter than normal and on top of that your filter sucks in that hot air, 60% intercooler efficiency without the intercooler(no added wieght), Plus the power that a turbo produces is phanominal, and besides do you even use your truck for serious offroading or more race?? If race then you worrying about absoluety nothing in fact you'd arguing against more performance if you think a supercharger will be able to outperform a turbo. Im sure thats why the biggest trucks in the world, Macktruck, Dumptrucks, EARTHMOVERS, etc. All use turbo charged induction not supercharged!!!!!!
Old 05-26-2004, 03:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Visionxorb
Lag isnt really what i mean, the ati doesnt build boost till way high RPM, turbo you could have that at 3000k even if you have 1 sec of lag, if you are pulling somthing its going to make it alot hard to gain rpm so the atis boost will be lower than the turbo. now obviously the radix would excel in low rpm but i think ( could be wrong wrong ) that u can get better mpg out of a turbo which might be helpful for long distance driving/towing.

Just saying for someone that doesnt have a power adder yet, I think this is the hot ticket, now if I owned a different s/c i wouldnt bother.
boost kicked in on mine like around 2100 2300 rpms
Old 05-26-2004, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats what i heard it does also
Old 05-26-2004, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
I understand what you are saying, but I don’t like the idea of the air filter located under the back of the truck. I am not really concerned with the rust and corrosion. If you run through a big enough puddle and suck up some water, good night engine, not to mention the turbo. It just does not seem good to me, I am sure there are other opinions on it. I would rather use the procharger over the STS in this instance.

The issue is snow at 30* or so and a turbo at thousands of degrees. Try the frozen glass + boiling water thing.

Also, concider the exposure back there. Get some water with dissolved mud/salt in it . Look at where the stock airbox is. Its at least SOMEWHAT enclosed. Whenever I go offroad my rear bumper gets filled with mud and debris (inside from the tires throwing around mud. Also concider objects hitting it. Depending on how low it is, a lot of elements can hit that thing. Also, try to pump some SERIOUS boost out of it and it will get hot as with any other turbo. It can melt a lot of crap, like fuel lines, fuel tanks and just heat it in general. The flash point of gas (oil is around 315 I think) is relatively low compared to what a turbo sees, very very low. About 1/5 of it. I am still anxious to see how it does over the next three years.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:15 PM
12 Second Truck Club

God I can't wait to pick up my truck this weekend so I can put a lot of this STS debate to rest.

You do not tap the oil pan for oiling on this kit.

The piping does act like an intercooler for short bursts. For extended "play" time, IE towing up hills under high boost, an intercooler would be recomended.

Lag is almost non existant. This is from people who actually have the kit or have ridden in a car with the kit (I rode in a STS'd Trans Am).

Add an intercooler and injectors and custom tunning to the kit and you are still the same price as a full blown Radix kit. I am into my kit with Meth, injectors, tuning, cam, upgraded turbo etc. for just over $5k. Vendors may vary

I agree, a turbo under the hood is only slightly less vulnerable to the rain. If you like muddin though I'd relocate the filter on the STS for sure.

You wont be heating up the gas tank because it sits on the opposite side and always has at least a little air movment to disperse heat. The gas tank is not metal so resists heat soak.

The Radix IMO would be the best turn-key system if you didn't want to fiddle with anything or live in an area devoid of good tuners. If you wanted the most power for the money and didn't mind messing with a kit (tweakers like me, Parish, Blacksheep etc etc) then the STS or or turbo system would be better, even the ATI kit.

The only issue I see with the STS kit right now is everyone is in the process of figuring out the right housing size to maintani high power output. That Texas truck put out 514rwhp and 586rwtq on 15psi bone stock but fell off at 5K rpm due to the housing being to small. With the right housing this should be corrected then look out.

But to each his own. I'll see what my kit does and you guys can draw conclusions from there.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01Blackerado
Actually the STS system wasmt origianlly designed with track times in mind it was designed for towing which included lowering a boat into a lake. If you are afriad of a puddle you shouldnt have a K&N nor a truck. You should drive a little car with your skirt tucked in hehehe. And if you're really that concerned about the water in the filter then just make a snorkal theres your problem solved, now you have a : cooler running turbo, greater efficiency than parasidict(don't know if that is spelled right but it means it takes power to make power. As you all know anything running on a pully draws HP and TRQ) drag superchargers, Your under engine temps arent 10times hotter than normal and on top of that your filter sucks in that hot air, 60% intercooler efficiency without the intercooler(no added wieght), Plus the power that a turbo produces is phanominal, and besides do you even use your truck for serious offroading or more race?? If race then you worrying about absoluety nothing in fact you'd arguing against more performance if you think a supercharger will be able to outperform a turbo. Im sure thats why the biggest trucks in the world, Macktruck, Dumptrucks, EARTHMOVERS, etc. All use turbo charged induction not supercharged!!!!!!
quick note:
none of the place their turbos under the gas tank. None of them go offroad like a p.u. would (they are all on dirt roads and such, none at greater than 10mph). Also, concider they are all diesels.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone know where the STS gets oil from btw? and how is it cooled?

ps- platic gas tanks melt. gas drips.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:23 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by treyZ28
anyone know where the STS gets oil from btw? and how is it cooled?

ps- platic gas tanks melt. gas drips.
There is an adapter fitting that attaches next the the oil filter all nice and neat. The oil is cooled through your standard cooling system. Most supercharger and turbo companies dont include and aux oil cooler. If it is a worry then you can add a $40 cooler NP.

As for the gas tank, it doesn't sit close enough for me to worry about it. That argument is null since an underhood turbo runs hotter and is in an exclosed space with limited airflow and sits within a foot of rubber fuel lines and spark plug wirse, and coolant lines and and and
Old 05-26-2004, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

F8LPONY, that thing sounds like its going to be sick!! I can understand some hesitation, but innovation means things have to change As far as gas tanks and fuel lines I would think that stuff like that would have been considered or even commented on by some of the first installers of the STS kits. Ive heard nothing but raves about the system. Most of these guys are coming from the supercharger school to turbo.
I dont think it will be as good of a turn key kit as the Radix, but I dont think that was their goal.
I can understand some of the concern about offroad perfromance, but Ive yet to read of someone going this route when that is their usage. Sounds kind of like putting 24's on an H2 and lowering it and thinking it will retane its offroad abilities. I could be wrong, but this just wouldnt be my choice for that scenario.

Quick Reply: STS or ProCharger?