Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

STS Turbo installed last night.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 08:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS Turbo installed last night.

I finally got this thing in yesterday. The install went pretty well except for a few minor things are causing some issues. To start off the kit is very good. The instructions for a beginer leave something to be desired. Pics are not very good, some of the wires they refer to in pics are different colors than stated. The piping has been changed and the directions I had did did not really reflect it. I have a standard cab and most of the pics look like an extended cab 2wd, mine is a 4wd. So despite all the little stuff the kit goes together fairly well. I don't have allot of time right now to post many details, I will be putting together a list of watch out for this kind of situatoin type things. It started right up after the pcm swap (NELSON TUNED), now I have a SES light that I have to trouble shoot. Just have to go back and read through the pcm swapping guidelines and go from there. The truck seems to run great as far as all this just being done. I have to drive it some more today to let the computer learn I guess. I'll give an update later after some fun!! Allot of stuff to go back through and double check right.

Oh ya you can definetly tell its faster even though I have a MASSIVE exhaust leak..more an that later.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn everyone is going turbo. Guess I'll have to soon. Congrats. Now go out and have some fun.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:39 AM
12 Second Club

congrats on the install - keep us updated
Old 01-30-2005, 01:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

word on that install. It's cake until you really need them for wiring the PCV and switches to the harness. The colors are not like the pics. the regular cab is different, yes, but i needed to cut the pipes in order to get it to fit right. Everything is up under the cab and frame though, i was impressed
Old 01-30-2005, 01:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Kewl .. find out what code is being thrown for that SES light. It might be something more serious than you think.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

i had to weld all the pipe going to the turbo also...they all leaked.damn..single cab 4x4...thats going to be fun...if you hav'nt already..get the snorkel kit to relocate the air filter.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bud8fan
i had to weld all the pipe going to the turbo also...they all leaked.damn..single cab 4x4...thats going to be fun...if you hav'nt already..get the snorkel kit to relocate the air filter.

Ya.. and DONT BOOST IN THE RAIN or any wet conditions!!! I was throwing Maf codes the other day on the way to the Dyno to get my tune done, and when I got there, my MAF was soaked in water.... that Filter sock won't do crap for you in the rain, boosting or not, so watch out.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

its like has anyone without a z71 installed a turbo yet? haha
Old 01-30-2005, 06:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Well, I have not had much time to drive around but I do have one question and it pertains to sounds coming from the Turbo. When I'm under boost and back off abruptly the turbo or maybe its the wastegate makes a wub,wub,wub,wub,wub sound that quickly goes away. I only hear this when under strong or full throttle and back off quickly. Is this the wastegate blowing off boost? I am happy to say I have no oil leaks of any kind, my buzzer for low oil has not sounded once, (maybe I should test it hey?) the truck idles fine. Just the SES code to track down and the exhaust leak to handle and I can find out if I need a re-tune after a little time in the seat.
The motor has oil pressure and when I flushed the line for the turbo oil came out immedietly and was run for a bit, and the return line is also working fine as well. Before I ran the oil line to the turbo it was blown out with compressed air as well as the block off plate that had to be drilled and tapped for the 1/8-27 pipe thread, so everything was clean. Just trying to think of anything I may have missed to cause the SES code.
More later guys.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by chris99gmc
word on that install. It's cake until you really need them for wiring the PCV and switches to the harness. The colors are not like the pics. the regular cab is different, yes, but i needed to cut the pipes in order to get it to fit right. Everything is up under the cab and frame though, i was impressed
I had to pull the rocker panel down with a pliers and some rags to prevent paint damage to get the rear pipe in that is attached to the rear body mount, then I just doinked it flat again with a rubber dead blow hammer. Not as extreme as it may sound really. Jacking up the body off the frame does little to nothing for you, but maybe I'm missing something on that. After a long day some things just get done some how and you move on to the next step and go back and check everything twice at the end. It was a bitch getting some of the hose connections in place as well. One problem that was kind of lame is the fact that the MAF has a very short end on it which makes the placement of the hose clamps critical for that section. The bastard blew off on my first test run and it was pretty apparent that something was not right, allot of boost sounds and no boost to the engine.

Quick Reply: STS Turbo installed last night.