Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

STS turbo, no muffler = mad wife!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default STS turbo, no muffler = mad wife!

Funny how I need to ask the GM folks about my Dodge.....
Anyway, I love the sound of the muffler-less turbo but the family and neighbors do not ( or at least at 0530A ).
F8L or Jerry2500, what have you all done with yours? I was thinking of a resonator after the turbo but would like your thoughts, thanks.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

women dont like loud trucks usually.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:58 AM
12 Second Truck Club

LMAO!!!

I put a Magnaflow muffler about 2' behind the turbo. I think I have a 20" muffler or something close to that. I had the exhaust shop weld a simple 3-bolt flange at the end of the pipe and put a hook on the muffler that mates up to the stock rubber hanger. It simply turns down right behind the bumper.

Works great for me since it quiets everything down, I have like zero resonance inside the cabin which is great for my custom stereo system and come race time I can easily remove the muffler. In all serisouness though i don't think the muffler hurts me much at all. I really can't tell a WOT difference but I do have better part throttle around town dirving with it on.

TurboBerserker does something similar except he uses a Flowmaster muffler. I have a 1ch Flow I tried and didn't like the resonance and it felt like I lost some power. Could just be my setup though.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:44 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a flowmaster series 10 race muffler after I removed my cats. It works great. It's about 14" long (small enough to fit directly above my axle).

No resonance, some power loss from the back pressure I'm sure, but a cut out fixes that Or just turn up the boost
Old 12-24-2004, 03:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey KTM, sorry to get a little off topic, but do you have any dyno numbers with the turbo? I have a friend with a Hemi that is considering the STS system, but I havent heard anything about them.
Old 12-24-2004, 05:48 PM
12 Second Truck Club

KTM couldn't hit the dyno. His poor lil girl has Chicken Pox
Old 12-24-2004, 08:19 PM
TECH Junkie

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW............. ...

Those suck. Hope she gets over them soon with no scars.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VicRed4.8
Hey KTM, sorry to get a little off topic, but do you have any dyno numbers with the turbo? I have a friend with a Hemi that is considering the STS system, but I havent heard anything about them.
Yeah, she is doing and feeling lots better already. Luckily it's a mild case.
Considering the STS system is the ONLY fully tuned FI option right now it is awesome. Even if I had choices I still would buy the STS kit again. The power tuning potential is huge compared to a similar supercharger setup. It is also very nice for daily driving. We just had a snow/ice storm cut thru NM and I decided to try it out. No problems at all, just like driving a stock engine at low RPM and throttle opening. I would still be spinning donuts with a supercharger.
Installed it in 5 hours with 3 experienced people, no special tools required.
Worth the money, I recommend one highly!
Old 12-25-2004, 07:08 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ktm i just have a 2.5" tail pipe in the stock location and it's pretty quiet at idle and just cruising around. But when you nail it, it gets loud. I didn't notice any difference in power with it off. But it's alot louder with it off.
Old 12-25-2004, 09:45 AM
TECH Junkie

From the STS pics i've seen, the only thing i dont like is there choice of such small pipe. It doesnt matter how much boost you push into a 6.0, only so much can flow out a tiny single 2.5" exhaust.

I just wonder why they didnt go with the 3" manderel bent for exhaust.

Quick Reply: STS turbo, no muffler = mad wife!