Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

STS Turbo update....

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 09:48 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS Turbo update....

Hey guys,

I told you I'd keep you updated on my STS install.

The truck has been at my buddies shop for the last 3 weeks getting all the junk installed and as parts came rolling in from UPS he was installing them. Last night was the first time he got a test drive with the new cam and turbo on it and this was his PM to me.

Hey bro. Just letting you know that I took her for hte first ride tonight and this thing rocks. I cant wait for you to see this truck man. When you get it, you can tell everyone about how there is zero lag with the cam/converter combo in this thing. It just revs up so ******* quick that I look at the boost gauge and its full spool already. I cant even see what RPM it hits it hits so ******* fast. First gear is nuts man. If you roll from like 30-40 and hit it, first slams down and its like holding you in the seat on 5psi. This **** is fun. Its on a pig rich tune and no water alky for tonight, so I can imagine what this thing will be like with less fuel and alky, god your truck rocks.
He calle me again on my way home tonight and let me listen to it at WOT while he was data loggin/Tuning and GAWD it sounded awesome! He had it at 8psi and still no knock with the Alk running so he was on the way back to the shop to try it at 10psi.

Tomorrow it goes on the dyno for more testing but I am not holding my breath since I am still running the small exhaust housing so I am prepared to see power fall off sharp after 5k rpm like the other STS truck did since we have the same turbo.

I am picking it up on Sunday if all goes well and will hit the track soon after but will have my trusy G-Timer ready for basic info. The thing is damned accurate so at least I'll have something for ya
Old 06-03-2004, 10:06 PM
TECH Junkie

What kinda boost #s are you going to see? Im sure w/ an IC and alky setup it can go higher, but to be perfectly honest i havent kept up w/ your truck all that much. What're your plans as far as power and boost #s?
Old 06-03-2004, 10:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds awesome. I'm glad someone else will have a turbo setup. I'm curious to see some dyno #s and 1/4 times. I like the STS system much better than the one Parish has. From what I've read and heard it is much easier to install.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:25 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I don't have a standard IC on it. I just utilize the intake pipe that comes with my kit as the IC which works fine for low psi. With the ALK kit I am not too worried about IATs. I'm sure they will be low even if I decided to run 14-15psi on this kit. My main problem is I still have the stock 4L60E which will go fairly quickly so I am saving for a 4L80E before I try to push it too hard. As it is I had him put more TQ managment back in to buy me some time.

I will probably keep it around 10-12psi for now since I really can't afford to rebuild the motor right away so I don't wanna tempt fate. I would like to see 500rwhp+ out this setup once I have the right exhaust housing on the turbo. I was making near 320 N/A and although power doesn't stack as neatly as we would all like I don't see it as that hard of a feat once i am finished. Figure what 20hp per pound of boost on a turbo motor right? If I ran 12psi that should be about 240+HP. Even if I was completely stock I'd be near 480+rwhp So pretty reachable goal.

Ultimately my main goals are:

Run a high 11 in an ext.cab 4x4

Look stock and keep that sleeper look

Prove the STS kit can make great power without bad lag

Prove to the rest of the Bay Area that my buddy can do great work on LSx vehicles.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Please comment on the exhaust note for me. I have asked Jason a TSP and STS Turbo systems both and neither one commented. I am interested in a low boost set up for our Escalade as it would definately be nice to have the added power.

Todd
Old 06-04-2004, 09:00 AM
12 Second Truck Club

I have yet to hear it in person because my buddy's shop is 150miles away from me

But he has called me on the phone a couple times and held the phone outside while flooring it LOL

I have posted Parish8's videos on my club website so a bunch of my fellow F-body guys have heard his truck and they say mine sounds similar. From what I heard on the phone I would agree. More like Parish's truck with the cutout open, not his full exhaust setup.

Maybe I should ask the WS6 owner he smoked on his way home from a get-together last night. I'm sure he heard it pretty good.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Thats badass F8L. I've been wanting to do a force induction setup on a 408 and was wondering more about the kit. I'd love to do a TT setup, but this STS setup is sounding more and more intriguing.

Originally my plan was to do a S or T-trim, or D-1SC running around 14psi w/ the IC. But after seeing the #s w/ these kits, im liking it . And i get what you're saying about not tempting fate so i hear ya. My goal isnt too far off from yours, wanting about 500+rwhp so i'll probably keep an eye out more for your posts
Old 06-04-2004, 11:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

I wonder how a 8.1 would feel with a custom STS ( read big honking turbo )
Old 06-04-2004, 01:38 PM
TECH Junkie

[QUOTE=F8LPONY]I have yet to hear it in person because my buddy's shop is 150miles away from me

But he has called me on the phone a couple times and held the phone outside while flooring it LOL

Reminds me of the Porsch Cayenne commercial.
Old 06-04-2004, 01:48 PM
Teching In

Default i think i heard ur truck

Dude is your truck at your buddy's shop in fremont california. Because my buddy took me by a shop that had a truck like urs getting a bigger cam out in and the sts turbo and the thing sounded hella sick. Whats ur buddys name??? After hearing th truck im sol on sts. When you gonna run it at SAC.

Quick Reply: STS Turbo update....