Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

STS vs Intercooled turbo and pressure drops.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 01:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know you understand the concepts that you are talking about, but let me clarify this.
Originally Posted by speedhoe04
"...but what it does mean the density of the pressure velocity drops the longer you go thru the piping. Now when you place an intercooler in the mix, the pressure cools down expanding the pressure therefore making the pressure denser; so now you got a cooler denser pressure velocity going to your engine vs a hotter less dense pressure velocity going to your engine."
Air pressure and the velocity at which that air is traveling are two different things. I think if you just say "air" instead of "pressure velocity" it clears up what you are saying. Also, pressure cannot cool down. However, materials with fluid like characteristics, such as air or liquid, will have lower pressure with lower temperatures. And when air cools, the molecules get closer together=more dense. The closer the air molecules are to eachother the less pressure the air will have.

Here is why 9 intercooled psi of boost can make more power than 15psi of boost. In a combustion engine it is the Mass of intake air that makes power not the Volume. When air volume increases, the density of the air decreases. In the engine the compressed air must occupy a given amount of space. If you increase the volume of air in this given amount of space (boost) this creates a by-product of heat because of increased pressure. Heat effectively decreases the density of the air. This is when the equation of Mass = Density x Volume is handy.

The goal is to create more air Mass - not just volume. The higher the density, the lower the volume. You can see how this works by rearraging that simple equation. The mass of air forced into the engine only becomes beneficial when the volume of air is higher than the decrease in density. In order to counter the heat factor, you must find a way of cooling the air, which increases the density. This can be accomplished with the use of an intercooler.

Someone needs to look up some stuff by Corky Bell. He explains this stuff Really well.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ryan excellent way of putting it...and yes corky bell is the man.

"air" is the correct term.

the basics corky bell dictates in his book is the fundamentals of any turbo engine.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:02 AM
On The Tree

ETA about 3-4 weeks more. the delay is the coatings and minor tuning issues.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:54 PM
Launching!

Why does it seem that all of the more educated poeple on this board think the STS kit is pretty much a waste and most of the ignorant members like it?
Old 05-13-2004, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

i never said the sts kit is a waste, in fact its a great kit.

all i am saying is that the idea behind the sts kit has alotttttttt more pontential.

its an answer to a truck who wants a turbo, doesnt mean its the best or the worst.

think of it this way, the sts kit is the lower kit of the bunch that are available or going to be.

if you inspect the kit thoroughly, you will see certain things they could of done better, exhaust joints, coatings, scavenge pump to name a few.....my most important factor is the turbo sizing. i think its small for our engines. but thats my gander.

overall the kit has excellent merits, phenomenal idea and most of all it works! thats more then i can say for others who have tried to put a turbo on a measly s10.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:50 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am anxiously awating some track times before i form any judgements, there has been alot of hype and alot of slaming of the kit, results will speak for themselves. 500rwhp with a 5.3 is a prety good start.
Old 05-13-2004, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is the kit that has the turbo back by the rear axle correct?
Old 05-13-2004, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by agreif
This is the kit that has the turbo back by the rear axle correct?
Yep. Lots opinions on the kit. On the subject of intercooling, doesn't the long pipe from the turbo on the sts give it a chance to cool down? Since it is in the air and air is moving over the pipe. All I can saw is 500 is a big number. Get it out to the track!
Old 05-13-2004, 07:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the alcohol injection is responsable for a lot of the STS turbo kit's ability to tolorate 15lbs of boost.An alcohol fueled motor will run much cooler combustion temps because the vapororization and flash points are much lower than gasoline,if you run straight alcohol you find that it takes twice fuel mixture to run your engine.Indy cars can run huge amounts of boost running straight methanol without fear of detonation or overheating.If your STS setup runs out of alcohol at 15psi of boost the stock internals in your 5.3 will melt down almost instantly,I hope you have a good way to monator your alcohol system if you are running it on the street.I'd love to see some track times on the setup.Hows the drivability?Does turbo lag get worse as the boost increases?Nice numbers,congrats.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

You might put an intercooler in place of one of the charge pipes that run along the outside of the frame. It wouldnt be very big, but could be done.
As far as running out of methanol. Some people are using the washer reservoir so that it says " low washer fluid " when getting low.
Driveability is great. My car drives completely stock until you get on it. It hits full boost at 3000. (6 speed Formula, completely stock). Gets better gas mileage.

Quick Reply: STS vs Intercooled turbo and pressure drops.