Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Stupid Question Im sure, but what the hell

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 08:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call Doug Thorley Headerrs and check out the 310Y tri y headers .for your heavy 4x4 you want some bottom end torque .which tri y design will give you .....they wont list they fit a 07 but if you call they may tell you different ...worth a phone call ask for Nick
Old 09-26-2007, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mcphck
I want headers, they just dont make any longtubes for this truck, and I cant see spending 1200 dollars for dynomax, that to me just seems a bit expensive, and currently only Dynomax makes headers for the 07', and I have been told shorties are worthless.
Your right, it is a lot of money. But that is a good price for that header system. They make a good system and worth every penny.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:19 AM
TECH Addict

You should have an aluminum block. But that aside, I can't see why the 07 classic body style headers won't fit. I just walked out in my shop and looked at one and the engine bay seems to be just fine to accomodate for the headers. You may have to fabricate a custom y pipe or some custome piping under the truck but I think the hearders will fit fine.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:57 AM
Teching In

I can wrench, at least external stuff, I wont go into the engine just yet, and I have mechanical skills...but unfortunatly I dont have the knowledge or understanding that you guys do. I really appreciate all the advice. I have a good quote for LT's and Im wondering if I need a Y pipe as well, or if the LT's match up to the stock crossover? Im assuming that I will need my cats for emission purposes, as well as O2 sensor bungs, I live in NC and we are tested yearly for emissions, plus I dont want to void my factory warranty, as I only have 1200 miles on it, and its a 100K mile warranty.

Once again, thanks to everyone for helping me out.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

Keep the cats just for your warranty, but you don't have to connect them. I'd also contact Allen @ Nelson Performance and have him turn the cats off and have him tune your truck for the addition of headers or you're gonna run really rich. BTW, you can have him tune the D.O.D. off also.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:54 AM
TECH Regular

You say that you are tested yearly for emissions in NC. If that is a sniff test then you are going to need some cats. And the stock Y-pipe won't fit LTs. You're going to need an ORY with some high flow cats added, or get a muffler shop to fab a Y-pipe with the new cats. Stock cats on LTs don't make much sense.

And are LTs legal in NC?

I could be wrong on this, but I believe that you can pass emissions without the rear O2 sensors. I think that you're going to need the front O2s though. Just have to get the rear O2 sensors turned off in the tune, like Torque wrench said.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:21 PM
Teching In

Im not sure if theyre legal or not (LT's), but the shop Im having do the tune installs them, so thats good enough for me. If I decide to go with the LT's Ill most likely get magnaflow cats and fabricate them in, seems like a good welder should be able to handle it. I talked to the Speed shop and he has said he can get 30-40 HP out of a tune, so I might just forgoe the LT's, as I dont really plan on hitting a drag strip, the tune plus the magnaflow exhaust and K&N should pep up the truck nicely. And once they get it fixed and the bugs worked out I plan on going with a Radix, which should give me more then enough...but then again when is enough enough?....
Old 09-28-2007, 02:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mcphck
Im not sure if theyre legal or not (LT's)...
Yeah, they're legal. Mine were installed by a shop that's also an inspection station. I was told as long as the cats are present in approximately the same location as stock, everything's copacetic.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Well, that answers that...Where abouts in North Carolina are you, IM in Willow Springs, dont see many posters from the Tarheel State here...Go Heels!
Old 09-28-2007, 03:17 PM
Staging Lane

I don't see how headers can be worth 1,200. They don't add that much to the wheel. The stock manifolds are not nearly as bad as 20 years ago. They have improved them greatly. I suppose if you are going to race it and put a big cam, and intake and bigger injectors, they might help, but I still don't think they could cost out over a good tune. The magnaflow cat back is going to make it sound cool, but really won't help you much hp and tq wise. It is not like the old days when exhaust made a huge difference.

Quick Reply: Stupid Question Im sure, but what the hell