Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Suggestions to quiet my exhaust a lil?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Suggestions to quiet my exhaust a lil?

Hey guys, my current exhaust setup is thorley tri-y headers with no cats, with a magnaflow 12649 with a 3" tailpipe dumped over the axle. I really like the exhaust note, but sometimes its just too loud. I'm considering either welding in cats or changing my muffler/catback all together. Part of me is leaning towards the second option due to the fact that I do kinda like the deep rumble of a chambered muffler. But I want to quiet it down some and im afraid swapping for a chambered muffler will just make it louder. Any suggestions?
Here is the muffler im currently running: Hey guys, my current exhaust setup is thorley tri-y headers with no cats, with a magnaflow 12649 with a 3" tailpipe dumped over the axle. I really like the exhaust note, but sometimes its just too loud. I'm considering either welding in cats or changing my muffler/catback all together. Part of me is leaning towards the second option due to the fact that I do kinda like the deep rumble of a chambered muffler. But I want to quiet it down some and im afraid swapping for a chambered muffler will just make it louder. Any suggestions?
Here is te muffler im currently running: http://m.magnaflow.com/02product/sho...=main&id=10983
Old 04-13-2013, 04:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find using a simple, correctly sized glasspack in whatever length you can fit or afford, will clean up the exhaust note of a crazy sounding exhaust.

I've used cherry bomb due to price and availability, but any straight through muffler can work great or better.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

most on here put on a bullet type muffler in front of the other muffler to tone it down. a longer case same style muffler will also tone it down.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you like those tri-y's? I'm looking at doing those Thorley long tubes with the Magnaflow 12589, curious your thoughts on the headers. I don't have much exhaust experience so I can't really give advice on your setup, sorry for the thread jack.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same proablem when my truck was a h/c 6.0. I got one of the magnaflow xl with a 12 bullet muffler from summit in front of it. Truck sounded great nice and smooth and quiet down low but still loud enough on the top end to enjoy gods gift know as the LS motor.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KC_kid
How do you like those tri-y's? I'm looking at doing those Thorley long tubes with the Magnaflow 12589, curious your thoughts on the headers. I don't have much exhaust experience so I can't really give advice on your setup, sorry for the thread jack.
I love them, with 2 minor complaints but only about the y-pipe. 1) the y-pipe is 2 piece, which isnt necessary at all, and it was leaking at that joint. So i just welded it up. 2) because they sent a mount for the rear of the y-pipe, it's semi solid, which causes the donut gaskets at the collector to "pop" when the engine rocks. However, I took the mount out and it's much quieter. Now for the positives: these are some of the best fitting headers I've ever installed! Ive installed kooks, obx, edelbrock, and pacesetters. They have TONS of clearance everywhere! And no leaks with reusing the factory mls gaskets! Noticed a lot more low-end grunt, but was surprised that the truck pulls much harder from 4500rpm up now too! All in all, im thrilled for the $550 shipped I payed.