Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Supercharge the 5.3 or go 402 stroker?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharge the 5.3 or go 402 stroker?

Im about to sell my blown 79 Z and im gonna get about 18K for it. I've been thinking over the past few days if i should just slap a Radix on my truck and go with a 4L80E and HD transfer case.....or if i should buy a SLP ZL 402 shortblock and put some 6.0 heads on it with a small cam and the same tranny upgrades.

All im really looking for is hp and torque below 6K rpm. The main thing im going for is awesome big block like torque because my trucks lifted. Im pretty sure that both options would be good for torque and roughly both will cost about the same. But i don't know how well the 402 would do with some stock or mildly ported 6.0 heads and a small "torque type" cam. I know strokers are the way to go for huge torque, but on all the threads i've read on Radix's it seems that most people are seeing killer low end as well.

The supercharger would be less work than the 402, but which one do you guys think would be better for my application? I kinda think there both about even so im stuck......displacement or boost? Both isnt really an option for me because ive already sunk about 10 g's in my truck so far, so i wanna spend a little bit more on it.....but not a whole lot more.

BTW the trucks got almost 69,000 pretty hard driven miles on it, so the motor aint exactly fresh. Although it still has great oil pressure and doesn't consume any oil and doesn't smoke. It does have a pretty noticeble piston slap problem on cold start up though......but pretty much all of our trucks have that.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1S10
Im about to sell my blown 79 Z and im gonna get about 18K for it. I've been thinking over the past few days if i should just slap a Radix on my truck and go with a 4L80E and HD transfer case.....or if i should buy a SLP ZL 402 shortblock and put some 6.0 heads on it with a small cam and the same tranny upgrades.

All im really looking for is hp and torque below 6K rpm. The main thing im going for is awesome big block like torque because my trucks lifted. Im pretty sure that both options would be good for torque and roughly both will cost about the same. But i don't know how well the 402 would do with some stock or mildly ported 6.0 heads and a small "torque type" cam. I know strokers are the way to go for huge torque, but on all the threads i've read on Radix's it seems that most people are seeing killer low end as well.

The supercharger would be less work than the 402, but which one do you guys think would be better for my application? I kinda think there both about even so im stuck......displacement or boost? Both isnt really an option for me because ive already sunk about 10 g's in my truck so far, so i wanna spend a little bit more on it.....but not a whole lot more.

BTW the trucks got almost 69,000 pretty hard driven miles on it, so the motor aint exactly fresh. Although it still has great oil pressure and doesn't consume any oil and doesn't smoke. It does have a pretty noticeble piston slap problem on cold start up though......but pretty much all of our trucks have that.
Id buy a 6.0 and get a good cam for it. With leftover get a tuning program.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by greentahoe
Id buy a 6.0 and get a good cam for it. With leftover get a tuning program.
I dont really want to go with a large cam, i dont want a power band over 5500-6000 at all. Im looking for killer off idle with monster *** torque.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:11 AM
On The Tree

there is an old adage i am sure we have all heard, "there is no replacement for displacement" I would have to agree with that and go with the 408 with a 215-225intake on a wide lobe speration cam. If all else fails with that setup, and you still have money to burn you can probably find a used radix on LS1tech and then you will have one wicked setup.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:42 AM
Teching In

stroke it!!

your truck with a 402 would be a beast, would hate to see the gas mileage on that though
Old 09-29-2004, 02:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1S10
Im looking for killer off idle with monster *** torque.
Sounds like a RADIX to me...
Old 09-29-2004, 03:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

is a 402 a stroked 5.3?
Old 09-29-2004, 05:54 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

why not get a low compression 402 and the radix.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

"The ONLY replacement for displacement is BOOST!" A supercharger or turbo setup will get you there power wise and make the 5.3 much more efficient. Its really up to personal preference but the torque potential of a properly setup boosted engine is much greater than a NA engine and potentially much more "streetable".
Old 09-29-2004, 10:32 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MacADaYear
Sounds like a RADIX to me...

Quick Reply: Supercharge the 5.3 or go 402 stroker?