Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Supercharge the 5.3 or go 402 stroker?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 09:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I had it to do all over again I would have gone stroker instead of Radix. You're making a good choice if you do, and actually I would feel better about my 'lesson' if you go stroker, as someone will have benefitted from my mistake. I am running about 340 RWHP/360 RWTQ, at least 100 less than what I think you could easily get out of a 400+ c.i. motor.

Every shop I talked to about building me a 408 was also willing to say that I would have a very high likelihood of passing California smog. That's correct, you read that right - California smog...so I don't think you'll have any problems in GA.

Will you be doing this yourself, in conjunctions with a local shop, or will you have someone build it for you outright?
Old 09-29-2004, 10:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They plug a cable into the diagnostic port for emissions on the newer vehicles. As long as there are no codes your fine. They also look underneath for cats and make sure the gas cap makes a good seal. You would be fine.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, your gas mileage will not go down alot. I am getting close to 13.5 with 4.10s, driving like a old lady. Not a big change from the blower.
Now, I had a blower and currently have a 408. The blower was great but, it has its downfalls. The major downfall is heat, inconstant power. I live in Texas, so heat is a major thing. The hotter it gets the less power you make. Inconstant power was the worst thing about the blower.
The 408, one problem I see would be emissions of a decent cam and the bigger motor. I have also noticed that the intake and throttle body of the trucks are not the greatest for large displacement motors. I am going to see if the LS2 truck intake is any better.
Now, 408s are getting cheaper and cheaper. I would talk to AP Engineering, super cool guys. With the 408 I put down 408rwhp and 430rwtq, over 400rwtq from 3000 to 5800. With a 230/230@112, mufflers, 4.10s, heavy 20s, and a nitrous tune. The 408 is also a great motor for juice. Take that 408rwhp 430rwtq to 508rwhp and 550rwtq with a 100 shot. You might be stupid and spray a 200 and make alittle more than that.

Now that speech is out of the way.

The best bang for your buck is a small cammed 6.0. I put down 345ish rwhp and rwtq, with a bone stock 6.0 and a 212/218 camshaft. Put some heads (maybe some injectors) on that and you have yourself a motor. The 6.0 is a perfect tool, it is cheap, simple, and effective.
Later on, if you feel like it. You could add a Radix or some juice and have some damn good power.

My opinion,
Jonathan
Old 09-29-2004, 11:26 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Naked AV
If I had it to do all over again I would have gone stroker instead of Radix. You're making a good choice if you do, and actually I would feel better about my 'lesson' if you go stroker, as someone will have benefitted from my mistake. I am running about 340 RWHP/360 RWTQ, at least 100 less than what I think you could easily get out of a 400+ c.i. motor.

Every shop I talked to about building me a 408 was also willing to say that I would have a very high likelihood of passing California smog. That's correct, you read that right - California smog...so I don't think you'll have any problems in GA.

Will you be doing this yourself, in conjunctions with a local shop, or will you have someone build it for you outright?
Do you think those 408 engine builders were giving you the absolute straight dope about that engine passing CA smog? They are probably somewhat biased. And what if it doesn't, It ain't getting easier to pass around here.
Do you know anyone that has a CA 408 that passes smog legally?
Just curious bro.........
Old 09-29-2004, 11:28 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by StupidFast

The best bang for your buck is a small cammed 6.0. I put down 345ish rwhp and rwtq, with a bone stock 6.0 and a 212/218 camshaft. Put some heads (maybe some injectors) on that and you have yourself a motor. The 6.0 is a perfect tool, it is cheap, simple, and effective.
Later on, if you feel like it. You could add a Radix or some juice and have some damn good power.

My opinion,
Jonathan
I like the sound of that! Gotta love those 6.0's!
Old 09-30-2004, 12:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by moregrip
Do you think those 408 engine builders were giving you the absolute straight dope about that engine passing CA smog? They are probably somewhat biased. And what if it doesn't, It ain't getting easier to pass around here.
Do you know anyone that has a CA 408 that passes smog legally?
Just curious bro.........
Well, it would be an interesting experiment, that's for sure. The motor would pass visual no problem, as long as the headers were CARB approved, and they didn't check numbers on the MAF sensor. The trick is the cam...it couldn't be a radical one, it would have to be tame, although tame for a 408 would likely be in the 220+ range. I don't know, I'd be willing to give it a shot. And I may, once I get tired of this puny 5.3...
Old 09-30-2004, 12:59 AM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by Naked AV
Well, it would be an interesting experiment, that's for sure. The motor would pass visual no problem, as long as the headers were CARB approved, and they didn't check numbers on the MAF sensor. The trick is the cam...it couldn't be a radical one, it would have to be tame, although tame for a 408 would likely be in the 220+ range. I don't know, I'd be willing to give it a shot. And I may, once I get tired of this puny 5.3...
Awesome! that's the spirit!

There has to be someone in CA running this already though......
Old 09-30-2004, 01:04 AM
TECH Veteran

I don't know, if they were, I think they'd be here on LS1Tech. I think we're actually on the cutting edge. These strokers are fairly new, and the good shops (HPE, APE, FMS, etc.) are just cutting their teeth on them as we speak...
Old 09-30-2004, 01:09 AM
what a rush!

Isn't GEN III in that group? I know they got some serious Mag coverage.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by moregrip
Isn't GEN III in that group? I know they got some serious Mag coverage.
Yeah, Scott definitely pushes the envelope, but it seems he sticks to that Darton wetsleeve stuff. Although, if he could do that, I imagine he could probably do a 408 blindfolded...

Quick Reply: Supercharge the 5.3 or go 402 stroker?