Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

supercharged escalade that likes to pings!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey to get there, they moved from their original office to the Speedway. Just get off the freeway from I15, turn right on speedway road, then they are in the building, right behind the Speedway Cafe. Right at the unmarked double doors on the side of the building. Bldg. A, suite 101.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:37 PM
Teching In

The KB kit comes with a cooler themostat. the only other thing I've done is add Water Wetter as recomended and added a larger trans cooler. The engine temp never goes past half way on the guage. The Seafoam won't harm any of the sensors will it? I'm going to put a fuel presure guage on, what kind of numbers should I be looking for? I will also check the O-rings on the fuel supply line. I changed the plugs from the stock (NGKpztr5a-15) to the DENSO Iridium IT20 plugs as recommended by KB. They say this is 1 heat range cooler and the best plug on the market. At $16.50 each they should be.Any recommendations on a water injection kit that works well and is affordable? Is there an inlet air temp sensor that could be giving false readings that could create a lean condition? I really appreciate all the help guys, thanks
Old 01-24-2004, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

On the fuel gauge, I can't remember numbers, but you should see it rise steadily until it starts seeing boost. At this time, it should be holding a steady pressure. It should never fall in it's sweep. It seems like it should be 55-60 maybe, but I'm not to sure on that.
Old 01-24-2004, 04:19 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

should go over 60psi at wot and not dip at the upper rpm's
Old 01-24-2004, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

I must say with my '01 Tahoe 5.3L that my Whipple charger non-intercooled has been working fine. It has been trouble free for 45k miles and over three years. My truck is at 6-7psi and will ping at times under load but this doesn't occur very often. It definitely pings more when it is hot outside. I have had the stock platinum plugs, NGK-TR-55(slightly colder) and NGK-TR-6(even colder) plugs in my truck and really don't see any difference in the audible pinging situation. Even with good fuel in my area (Amoco 93), the truck will ping if conditions warrant. When 100 octane unleaded is put in the tank, obviously the pinging stops and everything works perfectly...even with 9psi. I had alky injection on my truck for a while and that worked great to prevent pinging and I could use my higher boost pulley (9psi). The alky system that I used was one from SMC and it is a nice compact unit and not terribly expensive. The pump fizzled out and I just haven't sent it back to replace it. Considering my truck never ran better than 16.0 stock, I would say that my performance increase with the Whipple supercharger has been as well as can be expected. With the 6psi pulley, my truck has run 14.4@93....in the sig that was at 9psi. Honestly, I like Whipple's way of fueling with the aux injectors since the PCM program can remain stock and the extra fuel is added when the MAF sensor detects a certain amount of air flow. You know when this is occurring because the coolant sensor needle moves about 40 degrees. I really haven't seen many posts with guys and the new Radix supercharger doing any better with their e.t.'s than my truck and that is an intercooled system. The guy with the SS that posted a 13.92 is one of the only e.t.'s I have seen from the Radix and I'm right there with my Whipple considering my truck weighs 5750lbs and has the 5.3L. Enough ranting....somone needs to get a new program in your PCM and dyno tune your Escalade to lower the timing and get the fueling correct.