Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

which supercharger is the best?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 04:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I was in your shoes .. I would go with the RADIX hands down.

The RADIX is roots based, where the other 2 are twin screw. The old school roots blower is a little uneffecient, but the RADIX is not old school roots. I would suggest to call the companies and talk to someone and ask them about thier kits. I have been told that KB sounded as though they were doing a huge favor by talking to you about thier kits. From what I gather, they seem to be big Ford supporters too. Whipple has shady service, and I think anyone on here that has delt with them would agree. EVERYTIME I called Magnuson about the RADIX kit, the techs were happy to sit on the phone with me for as long as I wanted to talk about the kit and they would explain anything I wanted to know in detail, some things I didn't even care to know about too.

Do some research and shop around til you find something you think you would be happy with. There is a lot of knowledge on here so if you have any questions ask away. Welcome to the boards!
Old 02-18-2004, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

Installing a RADIX on an otherwise stock engine and transmission, how does everything hold up?
Old 02-18-2004, 04:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Engine .. fine
Tranny .. depends on your driving style/habits.

Better clutches, and some other stuff will make it lot happier though.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:37 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by moregrip
I might be up in that area sometime, we've got some friends that live in the Calabasas area that we visit from time to time.

Do any of the performance retailers that support or frequent this forum (which btw is awesome) offer military discounts?

I live in Woodland Hills! We do offer Military discounts...give us a call or stop by!
Old 02-18-2004, 04:39 PM
blownerator

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Installing a RADIX on an otherwise stock engine and transmission, how does everything hold up?

Exactly what Flyer said.....it all depends on how you drive, but this is the case with any supercharger/performance upgrade.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:43 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG

it is best to just plan on eventualy upgrading your tranny but i believe you can purchase a driveline warrenty from magna and get them to pay for it. not exactly sure how that works but i bet blownchevy knows all about it.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:45 PM
Teching In

When I was first looking at SCs, I was total sold on the Whipple. Literally just waiting on the cash to build up. However, as I had time to learn more I slowly came around to the Radix. (Still waiting on the cash to build up.) When I first learned about the different types of SCs, I really liked the twin screw design(Whipple and KB) compared to the "old" Roots style. Radix is this type. The twin screw and the Roots SCs look very similar but the perform their compression differently and in different places. Because of this a twin screw is more efficient and the compressed air is cooler. However, you aren't just buying a SC, you are buying a whole kit. And these differences are what counts.
1. The Radix comes with a programmer to up load changes to your ECM to account for the addtion of the SC. The Whipple comes with a whole new computer. If you make other engines changes, with the Radix it is a simple matter to come up with a custom tune that works for your particular setup. Any of the custom chip burners out there can do this or a dyno tune shop can do this also because they are working with same stock computer that they always work with. The Whipple computer is a different story. My understanding is that it is far harder to modify for addition engine mods.
2. The Radix replaces your fuel injectors with high flow models to account for the additional air flow. The Whipple leaves the original fuel injectors in place and adds additional ones to the manifold to compensate. Two I think. Suppose you want to upgrade, with the Radix you just go to even higher flow injectors.
3. The Radix is intercooled. Well it has to be. The compression makes the charge air too hot. The Whipple is not intercooled because it runs cooler. However, it is my understanding that the intercooled Radix delivers a cooler charge than a non intercooled Whipple. While I think you can go to Whipple and get a custom intercooled kit put together, its going to cost a whole lot more than an off the shelf kit and probably won't be CARB approved. There is someone here, I forget their user name, that custom built a whipple with a third party intercooler. It's the real deal but damn you talk about a load of work.

So if someone offered an intercooled twin screw SC that worked with the stock computer and used a full set of replacement injectors, I am all over it. In the meantime the Radix is my first choice. Now if I can just get these Project R boys to knock off about a grand on one of those nice shiny, polished Radix, I'll be in business.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:53 PM
blownerator

Originally Posted by 01Z71GMC
Now if I can just get these Project R boys to knock off about a grand on one of those nice shiny, polished Radix, I'll be in business.

I wish I could! We will take care of you when you are ready!
Old 02-18-2004, 05:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Flyer
Engine .. fine
Tranny .. depends on your driving style/habits.

Better clutches, and some other stuff will make it lot happier though.
Tranny will also depend on the type of truck. Heavier SUV's will be harder on the tranny than a pickup. The more weight over the drive wheels will cause more strain on the drive train. Less weight and the wheels will just spin eliminating the strain.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by burbman
Tranny will also depend on the type of truck. Heavier SUV's will be harder on the tranny than a pickup. The more weight over the drive wheels will cause more strain on the drive train. Less weight and the wheels will just spin eliminating the strain.
then

Quick Reply: which supercharger is the best?