Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

which supercharger is the best?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 06:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Z71GMC
*blah blah blah* ... When I first learned about the different types of SCs, I really liked the twin screw design(Whipple and KB) compared to the "old" Roots style. Radix is this type. ... *lots of blah*
The RADIX is based on the old roots type, but it is not the same as the old roots blowers.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

OK, I'm not a master at anything... but this is my opinion.

Most of these guys hit it by saying that an intercooled twin-screw is the best you can get. Unfortunately it is not offered for our trucks. The Radix is intercooled, but all in all, it's still a roots.

Now Whipple does offer some intercooled kits for Fords... and their Lysholm (Owned by Whipple or vice-versa) inercooled twin-screw is on that new, bad *** Mclaren Mercedes SLR (My new favorite car). So we know it can be done, and I can't see how whipple is gonna make an intercooled kit for a Ford, and not for a GM. Of course if you try and e-mail them (I have twice) or call them,like other people have, you wont get an answer out of them. I Personally think it is all about marketing myself, but i could be wrong.

If you do decide to go with a twin-screw,go with a whipple. I only say this because I have heard that the Kenne Bell's tend to leak, and are not as good of a product.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

well everyone has been raving about the radix and i know its a great sc, but id also like to point out that you can get a procharger d1sc which will make more hp than the radix, the only difference is it wont have quite as much bottom end (which will be better for the tranny) but the top end is unmatched, i have personally ridden in ligtnings, kb supercharged trucks and a magnacharged (non intercooled) truck and by far the fastest overall was the procharged truck. on a stock 5.3 with injectors and maf, and a good tune can make 400 rwhp easy, im not sure how much you guys are making on the radix but i dont think its that much. a friend of mine made 413 rwhp with procharger, and that thing is a screamer.

again not trying to put down radix or flame anyones setup, im just telling you my personal experiances.

joe
Old 02-18-2004, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the information on the engine/tranny bit. So, why is the 4L60E such a weak nut/glass tranny? Owning a C5 (six-speed though), I'll probably sound like an idiot, but doesn't the C5 automatic tranny have a 4L60E or is it the 4L65E? I know several C5 owners that have over 400rwhp with autos and run their cars hard with little to no problems. I guess the weight of the C5 has to play a role on the stress to the transmission??

A friend has a Magnacharger on his C5, and he installed a blower cam, had all the work done at 21st Century Musclecars (Ligenfelter shop) here in the Dallas, TX area. Anyway, the roots blower in his C5 ('01 Coupe six-speed) makes his car scream. It's making around 450rwhp, I've run an 11.8 at 123mph with his car. John Page (owner of 21CMC) got an 11.4 out of it. The low-end of the roots blowers is great and I think it would make a great complement for a truck's low end power needs.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01Sierra
So we know it can be done, and I can't see how whipple is gonna make an intercooled kit for a Ford, and not for a GM. Of course if you try and e-mail them (I have twice) or call them,like other people have, you wont get an answer out of them. I Personally think it is all about marketing myself, but i could be wrong.
I was at the Whipple factory 2 weeks ago getting my Whipple removed, and I talked w/the new guy in charge of coordination between the shop/marketing/development/etc (Dennis Mc and Steven Taylor are now both gone). Anyway, he told me that b/c an intercooler would cost so much, the kits would only come with them if it was necessary for either emissions or detonation prevention. I asked him about all of the guys who were doing intercooler setups themselves for added gains, and he tried to tell me that there isn't a market for the R&D that's involved on an intercooler. I told him that I would go Whippled again if there was an intercooler, he basically said, too bad.

WHIPPLE WILL NOT EVER MAKE AN INTERCOOLER FOR US. PERIOD. CASE CLOSED.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:41 PM
TECH Resident

Even though moregrips truck is a 1500, since it is a hd, did they upgrade the trans too? Not sure, so just asking. I have been reading for awhile now and I would go with the radix, if the dough was there.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

The 4l60e is a good tranny for lightweight applications (C5 is a lightweight application), trucks are a mid weight application, which the 60e isn't best suited for.

It sounds like Whipple has a similar attitude as KB .. they are doing us a favor for offering a kit for our trucks rather it be the best or not.

I don't care what who says, a nonintercooled screw will not be better than an intercooled radix or roots blower.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jdpanero
I was at the Whipple factory 2 weeks ago getting my Whipple removed, and I talked w/the new guy in charge of coordination between the shop/marketing/development/etc (Dennis Mc and Steven Taylor are now both gone). Anyway, he told me that b/c an intercooler would cost so much, the kits would only come with them if it was necessary for either emissions or detonation prevention. I asked him about all of the guys who were doing intercooler setups themselves for added gains, and he tried to tell me that there isn't a market for the R&D that's involved on an intercooler. I told him that I would go Whippled again if there was an intercooler, he basically said, too bad.

WHIPPLE WILL NOT EVER MAKE AN INTERCOOLER FOR US. PERIOD. CASE CLOSED.
What the F@%#!! That is just bull!!! Now I am pissed!!! I seriously have to start a thread about this!!
Old 02-18-2004, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

so is this all about screws and roots?? how come nobody has talked about cent. superchargers like the procharger!! they are awesome! (read my post about 5 up or so)
Old 02-19-2004, 12:39 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mudz5.3
Even though moregrips truck is a 1500, since it is a hd, did they upgrade the trans too? Not sure, so just asking. I have been reading for awhile now and I would go with the radix, if the dough was there.
Mudz5.3
After web surfing and emailing back and forth with AAM, NV, and GM here are the specs for a 1500HD as I understand them:

Engine: LQ4 V8: 6.0L (5967cc), Compression Ratio 9.4:1, Bore x Stroke
101.60 x 92.00mm, 300hp @ 4400rpm, 360ftlbs. Torque @ 4000rpm.

Transmission: 4L80E: (MT1) Max. Engine Torque 440ftlbs, Converter Turbine size
310 mm, Gear Ratio’s 1st-2.482, 2nd-1.482, 3rd-1.000, 4th
0.750, Reverse 2.077.

Transfer Case: NV 246: 86lbs, Oil Fill Capacity 5.1pints/1.9liters, Max. Torque
Capacity 2281ftlbs/3093Nm.

Front Diff: AAM 925: 235mm Ring Gear, Axle Torque Capacity 6300Nm, Gear Ratio
Range 3.42-4.56.

Rear Diff: AAM 950: 240mm Ring Gear, GAW rating 2700kg, Axle Torque Capacity
6800Nm, Gear Ratio Range 2.93-4.88.

Quick Reply: which supercharger is the best?