Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Supercharger guys..

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger guys..

I was just wondering what the main differences are in the roots style blower and the centrifigual type blowers such as the Vortech and Procharger. What makes these better/worse than others? Comparing blowers such as the Whipple/Radix to the Vortech type blowers. I was just wondering the main performance, and other differences and concerns with these. Thanks.
Old 10-31-2004, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

THe roots/screw blowers have instant boost off idle. The centri blowers are more like belt driven turbos where as they don't come into boost until 3000 - 3500 rpm.
Old 10-31-2004, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can make more power with a centrifical, but your ET's wont be as good because it takes so long to make boost with a centrifical. As far as supercharger the Radix is the way to go, but I think turbos kick ***.
Old 10-31-2004, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by onequick5.3
You can make more power with a centrifical, but your ET's wont be as good because it takes so long to make boost with a centrifical. As far as supercharger the Radix is the way to go, but I think turbos kick ***.
Unfortunately it isnt all that easy. You definately need a decent sized stall with a centrifugal. For daily drivability the Radix is awesome, but I would go with a turbo over all of the above.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:07 PM
Launching!

I like my Kenne Bell SC however I can't suggest them to you because you will never get any kind of support and they tell you to live with their screw ups. Buy the Radix and be happy. Don't even consider kenne bell if you want good service and support.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onequick5.3
ya the radix is a awsome kit. But they are only awsome up to a point. with a centrifical blower you can take it alot father than you can with a radix. It just depends on what you want to do. You want a quick street truck that can be driven hard everyday, then the radix is the way to go. But if you want a fast street truck that is alittle less daily driver freindly, then a centrifical is the way to go. or you can just slap on a turbo and get silly
Old 10-31-2004, 07:51 PM
TECH Junkie

See im in the same predicament right now too-cant decide on turbo or supercharger(radix,vortech)Im the type that im crazy when it comes to mods and eventually I will have a cam,headers,&head work along with either a supercharger or turbo. Ive been looking at the Vortech real hard but just cant make a decision-Why do you say a centrifical is less daily driver friendly?? Is it a pain to tune on a truck?? Just wondering.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Centrifical sc can cause more strain on your drive train. also they can sometimes have higher IAT that can lead to detonation. IMO a procharger with the 3 core intercooler is the way to go. Great power and a very reliable intercooler setup.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:06 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by XFACTOR
See im in the same predicament right now too-cant decide on turbo or supercharger(radix,vortech)Im the type that im crazy when it comes to mods and eventually I will have a cam,headers,&head work along with either a supercharger or turbo. Ive been looking at the Vortech real hard but just cant make a decision-Why do you say a centrifical is less daily driver friendly?? Is it a pain to tune on a truck?? Just wondering.
My centrifugal is less daily driver friendly because of the 3800 stall I have. Centrifugals have very little power down low, so if you want a good ET, you need a big stall.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Black Blown 02
My centrifugal is less daily driver friendly because of the 3800 stall I have. Centrifugals have very little power down low, so if you want a good ET, you need a big stall.
Is your procharger noisy or what does it sound like?? i do plan on getting a stall but want to get the expensive mod done and then get the other stuff afterwards.

Quick Reply: Supercharger guys..