Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Superchargers + related mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 04:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Superchargers + related mods

I got that, a set of TOG headers and a sway bar kit for my truck for around 6000. I would get some transmission work done before or soon after you get the blower put on. The added power will eat your shift servos and your clutch packs.
What kind of tranny work and how much will that run me?
thanks.
Old 07-28-2003, 04:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would at the very least install a stage 2 shift kit and get bigger servos. That would only run about 2-300 I would guess. If you want to make sure the tranny is gonna hold up, go all out and get it built like a brick **** house and expect to spend around 2k.

What are you doing all this to. If it is a heavier truck I would say go ith more strength in the tranny, but just a light one .. you should be fine with just the shift kit and servo.
Old 07-28-2003, 05:08 PM
TECH Veteran

I would at the very least install a stage 2 shift kit and get bigger servos. That would only run about 2-300 I would guess. If you want to make sure the tranny is gonna hold up, go all out and get it built like a brick **** house and expect to spend around 2k.

What are you doing all this to. If it is a heavier truck I would say go ith more strength in the tranny, but just a light one .. you should be fine with just the shift kit and servo.
My truck is a 2002 SC/Z71, 5.3l,3:73, I'm not sure on the weight, but I think it's around 4500lbs. What brand of shift kit do you recommend and what does ot do to the trans?
Old 07-28-2003, 05:46 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the Radix gets the nod. Will the kit work fine with a stock truck? Will I have to do any mods prior to install? I guess from what I have seen on this site the Radix has the best engineered kit out there. The most complete and cleanest install. About how much did the kit cost? I know ... alot of questions sorry. Thanks again.
The Radix goes for about 5 Gs.
One thing you must remember when getting a supercharger is that reliability will go out the window. Since you said it's a stock truck, a few stomps on the pedal will destroy your drivetrain. Just ask blownchevy, he'll chime in about trannies. A guy on another forum (James B.) literally blew his stock G80 out of his differential.
Personally, I would not install a supercharger unless you're willing to expect parts to go out and/or you have the money to build up the drivetrain, among other things.
When I get my 6.0 and supercharger in, I don't want to have to worry about **** going out/blowing up everytime I want to have a little fun.
Just something to think about.
Old 07-28-2003, 06:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Yikes, maybe some engine mods to increase power in a little tamer fashion is in order!! This is going to be alot of research I guess. How much rwhp and trq can a stock drive train handle reliably? this is really starting to make me sweat a little.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:02 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the Radix gets the nod. Will the kit work fine with a stock truck? Will I have to do any mods prior to install? I guess from what I have seen on this site the Radix has the best engineered kit out there. The most complete and cleanest install. About how much did the kit cost? I know ... alot of questions sorry. Thanks again.
The Radix goes for about 5 Gs.
One thing you must remember when getting a supercharger is that reliability will go out the window. Since you said it's a stock truck, a few stomps on the pedal will destroy your drivetrain. Just ask blownchevy, he'll chime in about trannies. A guy on another forum (James B.) literally blew his stock G80 out of his differential.
Personally, I would not install a supercharger unless you're willing to expect parts to go out and/or you have the money to build up the drivetrain, among other things.
When I get my 6.0 and supercharger in, I don't want to have to worry about **** going out/blowing up everytime I want to have a little fun.
Just something to think about.
hmm, i think that statement may be a little harsh, how many g80's have blown apart? mine took some serious woop *** before i upgraded to the eaton and i didn't have to upgrade. in my oponion the drivetrain on these trucks is seriously strong, sure the tranny is not rated to handle 400+ft/lbs and it will need some upgrading eventualy but other than that you he will probably be fine.

i thru alot of power at a stock front diferential, stock transfer case, stock rear other than an eaton, stock axles, stock driveshafts, stock cv's.... pulling 1.6x 60' and 0-60 in the low 3sec range. seems to be a prety strong driveline to me.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

I can chime in with a little poece of important advice. If you plan on SCing your truck in the distant or near future, get LS1Edit, and start learning. You will be ahead of the game when you need it. That's what I tried to do, but I am a slow learner
ATI is a sweet blower, especially would be with a stall, but like they guys have said, the Radix
is a good all around RPM blower that comes with everything, and you will break stuff with the Radix, just ask ethese guys that have it, hehe
The centrifigals are easier to stay out of it id youhave to, since it's not in boost less you want it to be basically. Good luck, and happy spending! Sam
Old 07-28-2003, 08:28 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Any increase in HP is going to cause stress on your drivetrain......ATI, Vortech, Paxton are all great units, but they will not be good for all around driving. I have my own opinions about the Whipple.......I think if you are going to S/C your truck you should go with the Radix if it is in your budjet....If you leave the boost alone, and drive like a civil human being(I can't do this myself), then your drive line will last. With the Radix, you do not want to mess with the tuning since it comes from Magnacharger complete with a tuner that is perfect for everyday driving. I have a friend with the radix and about 35k on his truck without ANY problems....

Just my .02

PS, My trannies went out due to raised boost and a VERY heavy foot, dont let my bad luck make your descision for you.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:41 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

I have had Whipples on 5 or 6 trucks I love them my 01 swb 5.3 with JBA's and a 2500 stall was very fast for the street I never took that one to the track but I would have to guess around 12.9-13.2 and that is being conservative. My 96 with a Whipple JBA's and 100K went 13.68 @ 98.8mph all stock trans and open rear end. Put @ 25K on that one not one problem and on the 01 I put @ 30K not one problem and If you looked at the shoot out that they did in Truckin about the discharge tems of various S/C the Whipples put out the lowest. But with that said I know nothing about the Radix S/C I have just had excelent luck with my Whipples.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:03 PM
TECH Veteran

I really do appreciate all the opinions and educated advise. If it were not for this site I would be like the rest of the masses...listening to someone who might just want your money. I still would like to get my power up at least by 100hp. I think Iwould be satisfied with that for a little while anyway. N0S is out for sure. The SC may still be my choice, is the non-intercooled magna alittle tamer than the radix? I am a machinist as well as an engineer so making one off parts would not be too difficult for me. Maybe I could start out with the Magna first and then build and intercooler later?
Just some thoughts. thanks again guys for the good information. This site is great!!

Quick Reply: Superchargers + related mods