Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Superchargers + related mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 11:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Superchargers + related mods

If you are rollin' a Z71 you most likely have a G80 out back. I would not fix something until it is broken. Heck I'd start with a tune via EDIT, a Yank stall conveter as they seem the favorites here as well as a full TransGo install with the afformentioned (I think that's the word!) billet servos, a big exhaust system (headers, highflow straight through mufflers), intake, etc.

That will make you run pretty damn quick like that. Just before the blower install I'd pick up a TA Performance axle girdle and that Eaton, better to be safe than sorry.

Once there I'd save up another $2K on top of the blower price as your trans is going to kick the bucket after the blower goes on.

Old 07-29-2003, 01:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Being a 4x4 I was going to wait until my dif actually let go before I replaced it. You still have a front differential to get you home, you certainly wouldn't wanna roll around anymore than you had to with a busted rear dif though.

I think it is well worth mentioning that the 'traditional' roots type blower is not as effiecent as the twin screw type blower. The Radix kit is not the traditional roots blower though. It has the lobes of the rotors twisted so that it is more like a combo between a twin screw and a roots. The Radix blower, or on my truck anyways, creates more boost as the revs go up. I start off the line with about 7psi, and by the time I redline get to about 8.5-9 psi. I have not looked in depth at any technical papers on the blower to compare boost temps, but I think they are comparable to the twin screw blower since they have twisted the rotors.

As to be able to tell if you have the open dif or not, look at the option codes on the sticker on the inside of the glove box door. You will see a G80 listed. You will know it is the right sticker because you will see Z71 listed as well as LM7.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:14 AM
TECH Veteran

I think my diff is a non posi type, If I remember from the window sticker and the initial sit down with the salesman. Would this hurt my performance significantly? Will I lose all traction with torque management removed and a super charger installed?