Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Supercharging the Z06

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 05:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zippy
ah, i've been more of a dick than that before, just giving him a hard time. i was going to post more info, but ran out of time (customer came to the counter). i know nelson has performed the previous generation truck to gen III small block swaps and there may be some information available there. i agree with blownchevy on using the truck accesories although i would check into the guys that have used the car intake on trucks if you decide to go with a centrifugal instead of a radix or whipple. going with a radix will allow you to use considerably less stall which is good since you'll likely have to buy a new converter and trans. (i believe there are adapters to make an old style 4L60E bolt up though). did you get the engine with the exhaust manifolds also?
You need not worry about giving me a hard time. I can take all you can dish out..lol. S and P Performance in Mena, AR is providing custom headers. I am getting new cats and bolting back to my existing Borla. The roots idea is out by the way. For what I want to eventually achieve, that blower won't handle it. I have decided on a system from A and A Corvette out of Cali. They do a custom setup for the ATI Procharger systems. I do not however plan to use the existing 4L60E. It won't handle it. I know this from experience. I have considered the jump to a 4L80E built by Jet. I have a ECM out of a 97 Sub that ran a 350 and 4L80E, so no repin is necessary. The engine did indeed come with the manifolds. "Z06", it caught your attention didn't it? lol
Thank you for your input.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GEAR M UP
Z06 truck,

I loved my Radix on my SS, but it comes to a point that the Radix can only create so much HP.

I would suggest a Procharger or STS Turbo kit if you want to see 11's in your truck....

Good luck...
That's what I have been hearing. They say for what I'm after I'll need to run a centrifical. If I can run 12 flat in the panhandle of Texas I'll be happy. That would be good for right around 11 flat at sea level. I have decided on Procharger. The one I have now has been very good and problem free for 3 yrs now. By the way, sounds like one damn nice truck.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Scream
So let me get this straight....you bought the motor from a doctor who wanted something better than the LS6, but you bought the motor w/ all of the 'vette accessories. That doesn't make sense to me.
Correction. A speed shop bought the motor from the doctor who wanted a better engine. I in turn bought the engine from them. At 7 grand with all the accessories, ECM, manifolds, and harness...how could I possibly turn it down?
Old 09-16-2004, 05:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TigerFan187
Im not trying to start anything and I dont have personal experience with either but from what ive read and heard Prochargers arent sh*t!!! I have a buddy with a Silverado SS and he has a Procharger so he can run a sh*tload of boost. If I were to get a SC I would get the Radix because of the reviews but dont most of the pro drag guys use Prochargers? Still if you have a LS6 your on the right track! Right guys? If I were you I would check out some of the vette sites and od some research!
I think I am more apt to get the ATI for the future. After a few yrs on this combo I intend to stroke the LS6. Y'all know how it is, you can never have too much power. The Radix won't handle much more boost than what it provides now. It has a little flatter torque curve than the centrificals, but I would eventually like to have a D1SC pushing about 8 or 9 psi on the stroked version of that engine. I just don't think it's there in the roots blower.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:38 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06_Truck
The roots idea is out by the way. For what I want to eventually achieve, that blower won't handle it.
If your planning more than 500rwhp, check this out though:

from NLOC-
I dyno'd something like 680rwhp and 830rwtq at PSP a couple of months ago on my old motor.

that was with the Eaton and a 150 shot.

unfortunately that motor self destructed.

later,
chris
Old 09-16-2004, 06:54 PM
MOOBIES Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correction. A speed shop bought the motor from the doctor who wanted a better engine. I in turn bought the engine from them. At 7 grand with all the accessories, ECM, manifolds, and harness...how could I possibly turn it down?
I've never heard of anyone upgrading and leaving the accessories on the motor. That would add several grand to the swap price (new a/c compressor, alternator, p/s pump, brackets, etc.)

Also, there is no 2005 Z06. The motor, if you have it, would have come from a 2004 vette.

Got any pics of the motor?
Old 09-16-2004, 07:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Rossler and Extreme Automatics have 4L65E based trans that're handling over 900rwhp, so I wouldnt say the 60/65E trans cant handle power.

And Prochargers have had problems with their head units under high boost from what Ive read but also it was supposedly from P-1SC units and guys were trying to force like way more boost from them then they can handle. But I have heard very good things from the D and F series lines, altho the F may be a little bit more overkill than the D.

And no ifs and or butts, its not an 05 Z06. Why? Because there is no such thing. Not being a dick, just lookin out for a newbie.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Scream is sniffin a rat. lol.

Its all in the details.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:36 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

At 7 grand with all the accessories, ECM, manifolds, and harness...how could I possibly turn it down?

I say you may have taken it in the shorts on that one....I have seen complete LS6 take outs with 1000 miles or less for 2-3gs.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need not worry about giving me a hard time. I can take all you can dish out..lol. S and P Performance in Mena, AR is providing custom headers. I am getting new cats and bolting back to my existing Borla. The roots idea is out by the way. For what I want to eventually achieve, that blower won't handle it. I have decided on a system from A and A Corvette out of Cali. They do a custom setup for the ATI Procharger systems. I do not however plan to use the existing 4L60E. It won't handle it. I know this from experience. I have considered the jump to a 4L80E built by Jet. I have a ECM out of a 97 Sub that ran a 350 and 4L80E, so no repin is necessary. The engine did indeed come with the manifolds. "Z06", it caught your attention didn't it? lol
Thank you for your input.

not sure why you'd need a custom set up for your ati as a standard truck kit with a d1sc should do it. i also agree on the 4L60E, i think a built one can handle what you're looking at putting out. jet certainly isn't where i'd be getting a 4L80E. a pcm from a 97 suburban can be converted to run the LS6, but you're going to be paying out the *** to get it programmed since very few have the ability to program that pcm which is designed around a small mass air system (going to be maxing the maf reading out all the time). it would be considerably easier to use a harness and computer from a 2wd suburban 2500 6 liter model. of course the z06 part caught my attention, i wondered who would post z06 stuff in a truck section.......someone wanting a z06 bad enough to call his truck one.

Quick Reply: Supercharging the Z06