Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Superchips, Hypertech, Etc.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superchips, Hypertech, Etc.

I've done some searching on the site and can't come up with anything conclusive, so hopefully those out there using the portable programmers can give me a heads up here. I'm fairly new to GM's ODBII truck setups, have spent years learning ODB I programming on some of my 4 cylinder race cars, So I know there are 'real' programmers out there that will provide very solid gains and also there are many gimmicks out there that just aren't worth the plastic they're made from.

So i'm looking for some opinions from those out there who have used the programmers from Superchips, Hypertech, and the like. Basically how you like the unit and whether you've had any solid gains from them and if you ran into any reliability issues or problems.

-J
Old 03-30-2005, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

WIth my hypertech that i had, i got 4 tenths in the quarter. I think that was not actual horsepower, but because of the higher shift points and rev limiter.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

its just a quick little fix for lightly modded trucks. if ur planning on doing heavy modding like cam or s/c then just hold off for a custom tune. but if ur planning on just doing the basics, then any will work fine. u can find a hypertech for like 150 on here probably. as far as gains... its not so much the hp ur gaining, its more about the shiftpoints. it makes u stay in each gear longer and whined it out. it also advances ur timing so u can use 91 gas if u want
Old 03-30-2005, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

i have a superchips i like it for my mods jus intake and dual exhuast but if my gf would let me id dump it in a heart beat for a custom tune like nelson and such ive never ran the 1/4 so no numbers sorry i can feel a difrence when its installed i jus have stock program in it now tryin to make sure my tranny last have 4,000 mile road trip in 3 months but anyways if you wanna keep it simple get a handle held if you wanna make it fast get a custom tune or hp tuners and do it yourself
Old 03-30-2005, 10:12 PM
TECH Regular

IMO why spend your $ on hand helds? I bought my hypershit brand new before I found this site. Man do I wish I still had that 350 bucks that I blew on that thing. If you wanna get the best bang for your buck you would be very well better off with a custom tune. If your into the do it yourself thing I would look into something like HP Tunners ect. If your like me and like to buy all your stuff brand new then put 100 dollars more and get a custom tune ($450) Or $500 for HP Tunners.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:20 PM
13 Second Truck Club

the hypertech dropped my truck from a 15.9 to a 15.1 and that is on a rcsb 4.8 w, exaust intake, and electric fans and allen told me that a nelson tune would drop me another 4 tenths so its up to u but i sold my hypertech a while ago and i'm about to buy a nelson tune tommorrow
Old 03-30-2005, 11:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy (beeftip) has a superchip programmer on his 97 Extcab ....

It really helped alot.... Yeah I definently think its because of the shift points......

You can PM him and ask him about it.....
Old 03-30-2005, 11:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Daniel's02GMC
the hypertech dropped my truck from a 15.9 to a 15.1 and that is on a rcsb 4.8 w, exaust intake, and electric fans and allen told me that a nelson tune would drop me another 4 tenths so its up to u but i sold my hypertech a while ago and i'm about to buy a nelson tune tommorrow

What track do you go to where a Hypertech drops you almost a second....

I dont know about this one..... maybe..... well.... oh yeah
Old 03-30-2005, 11:25 PM
Banned

I didnt even add the nelson time so just with a tune it added around 120hp????

Isnt it roughly 10hp for every .1
Old 03-31-2005, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CAMMIN03'
What track do you go to where a Hypertech drops you almost a second....

I dont know about this one..... maybe..... well.... oh yeah
no, its just that ur not thinking with logic. if both runs were the exact identical same, then yes u might be onto something... but surely they werent.

so say on his 15.9 w/out the hpp3, he had a bad run, and on his 15.1 w/ the hpp3, he had a good run....

then it would make sense wouldnt it now?

Quick Reply: Superchips, Hypertech, Etc.