Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Superchips, Hypertech, Etc.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 06:37 AM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. Hell, I've ran a 15.8 (spinning like crazy) and then backed it up with a 14.68 on the next pass! What I can tell you from my experience is this, my Hypertech knocked almost a half second off of my average ET's. Not a one pass deal. My truck ran consistantly in the 15.3 - 15.5 range before, and then with the hypertech it ran in the 14.9 - 15.0 range. With the addition of the converter it now runs consistant 14.5 - 14.6's. Sure, occationally everthing goes right and it pulls off a low 14.5 run, and once in awhile it spins, I lift, it spins some more, and it goes in the mid 15's. But on average I gained almost a half of a second. Could a Nelson tune (or any other custom tune) get better results? Sure, no doubt. Just removing Torque Management is gotta be like a tenth or two, prob. closer to .2. I don't want to remove T/M, as I think it is the death of these transmissions when doing so. If I bought a used handheld for $150 or so, and sold my truck next week, I could get my money back by reselling it. How much is a custom tune worth when you sell your truck? ZERO. I'm not knocking the custom tunes, I just get tired of people pushing for custom tunes on a mid 15 second truck (or slower) with intake and exhaust. They work. Whether its because of the shift points or whatever, who gives a ****? I don't care if it makes less power as long as it drops my ET. Like I said, I like mine. If you want to take out the TM and start transmission hunting go for it! There is at least a tenth or so to be had by doing that. I think that you really don't need and of the nice software packages unless you plan on running into the mid 13's NA or mid to high twelves with a power adder.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

Well after seeing what you guys have come up with, I think I'm going to shy away from the hand held programmers. I have a decent bit of experience with programming from ODBI and I'm starting to think the way to go is going to be the HP Tuners. I had done a Beta testing for them on some other Chevy ECU's, just not a V8 and not an NA motor. Now going for a Nelson tune would also be a good choice, but I figure where I stand now it might not be worth it. Currently I'm only running a custom intake & exhaust, with plans for a cam upgrade along with a custom intake manifold thats in the works now.

Also whats the deal with the Torque Management that everyones saying could damage the trans. if removed in the programming?
Old 03-31-2005, 03:55 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm getting my Nelson tune today after 5:00pm. I'll let you know what I think when he has completed installing his custom tune in my VHO. For $490, it better be very noticeable. If it's not I'll let you guys know. Though I have faith in him so we'll see.
He will be doing a live tune on my truck down here in Houston. He told me he would put it on his dyno at his shop and give me before and after results when ever our schedules were both clear.
I have a Hypertech Programmer for a 2000 model Chevy that I will sell CHEAP!

Jim
Old 03-31-2005, 05:16 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
I'm getting my Nelson tune today after 5:00pm. I'll let you know what I think when he has completed installing his custom tune in my VHO. For $490, it better be very noticeable. If it's not I'll let you guys know. Though I have faith in him so we'll see.
He will be doing a live tune on my truck down here in Houston. He told me he would put it on his dyno at his shop and give me before and after results when ever our schedules were both clear.
I have a Hypertech Programmer for a 2000 model Chevy that I will sell CHEAP!

Jim
$490???
Old 03-31-2005, 05:17 PM
12 Second Truck Club

It's an 05'. The prices are higher for the new trucks because of lisensing I think.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:31 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone else think this guy is BSing alittle..... 1.2 Seconds from a programmer.... NOPE
Old 03-31-2005, 06:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CAMMIN03'
Does anyone else think this guy is BSing alittle..... 1.2 Seconds from a programmer.... NOPE
vehicles are not all the same. Take all of the same vehicles off of the factory line and run them. Every one of them will run something different. same thing goes for mods. Some vehicles respond good to certain mods than others do. Just because your buddy has the exact same everything than you doesnt mean your trucks will run the same. My truck wouldnt even run on 89 octane on the factory tune without spark knock. Hypertech surely didnt work for me as far as the tune goes. On the other hand, I have plenty of friends that have successfuly ran these programmers with no problems. If they were all the same, we wouldnt need dyno tuning to get the best out of them. The same program would work for them all.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:52 PM
12 Second Truck Club

The other problem is he didn't list any except ET. His truck could have been capable of mid 15s but he spun bad and ended up with a high 15... Then next time at the track after the tuning he got better 60's and bam, low 15s and if he doesn't know much about racing he will think that it was all due to the programing. See, without any details there are too many possibilites.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:04 PM
Banned

Well from the information given he said .8 with a hypertech which is bullshit.... and evryone on here knows it.... I could see maybe .2-.4 MAX.... thats pushing it....

And theres not enough difference in cars to have almost a second drop by using a hypertech.... If that was the case nelson and all of them would be out of business... and Hypertech would rule.... Thats just my opinion...... I could be wrong
Old 03-31-2005, 07:10 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I'm just saying that maybe in his mind he did gain a full second in ET. Maybe he doesn't know enough about racing to realize that things like 60' and Density Altitude can play a big part in 1/4mile times. So essentially he isn't lying because lying would be stating something with the intention to decieve. LOL

We all know that generally speaking there is no way in hell a HPP3 is going to give you a full second gain in ET.

Quick Reply: Superchips, Hypertech, Etc.