Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Superchips programming question

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 05:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superchips programming question

I just wanted to know if anyone has any pointers on programming my truck. Right now I have the shift points set a level 7 all th way across. And the shift pressure is set a max all the way across. I works good and I like it and all but wanted to know if there was a better setting I should go with? And I know most of you will tell me to get a tune, but I dont have the money for it right now. I will get a tune as soon as i can afford it. So right now I have the Superchips. Any suggestions????
Old 10-24-2004, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do not raise the shift points all the way over. I know I had the New Superchips Tri tune. If you have the settings all the way over you will fry the trans like I did. Of course the SC setting is in the middle, on the 1-2 shift I had it set on 1 point above it, 2-3 shift I had it 3 over the SC setting, 3-4. it was either 3 or 4 over. Another important thing is the line preasure do not max it out, I messed with it for months and found out the best setting is 2 points over for all. I was dumb and had it installed by the place where I bought it, and they maxed everything out 3 months later I had the trans rebuilt under warrenty of course.
Old 10-24-2004, 06:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by onequick5.3
Do not raise the shift points all the way over. I know I had the New Superchips Tri tune. If you have the settings all the way over you will fry the trans like I did. Of course the SC setting is in the middle, on the 1-2 shift I had it set on 1 point above it, 2-3 shift I had it 3 over the SC setting, 3-4. it was either 3 or 4 over. Another important thing is the line preasure do not max it out, I messed with it for months and found out the best setting is 2 points over for all. I was dumb and had it installed by the place where I bought it, and they maxed everything out 3 months later I had the trans rebuilt under warrenty of course.
So I should put the shift points at....
1-2 at 6
2-3 at 8
3-4 at 8 or 9????
And then on the shift pressure set that at 7????
Old 10-24-2004, 06:07 PM
TECH Regular

Also what setting should i run??? performance 89 and run 91 or just use the 91 setting???
Old 10-24-2004, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

First I ran it at the High Performance setting. Yep, i think what you said is right with the shift settings. Also i know it is hard becasue when I installed mine I went right and would romp on it as soon as I hit the road, but after installing it give it 250 miles or so to let the computer learn what you just installed. Expecially the trans settings, after installing I would get a little slipping but after a while it learns what it is suppose to do and it works perfectly. Also think about going to a trans shop and getting a corvette servo installed that really help the trans. Mine was 80.00 installed and it was one of the best investments in my truck.
Old 10-24-2004, 06:30 PM
TECH Regular

Corvette servo huh??? I see people askin about that in here all the time. What exactly does it do for the tranny??? On the 3-4 shift what should i set it at?? You said you had yours at 8 or 9.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, I would set the 3-4 higher than the rest, I believe it is the third dot past the SC setting. The corvette servo is one of the best things I have done to the tranny. It is located on the side of the trans and it applies more holding power when the trans shifts on the 2-4 band. The 2-4 band is likely to be the band that is mostly burned up. I did alot of 30mph downshift and when it would hit the 1-2 shift it would slip. Now the servo applies more force and holds shift firmer so it doesnt slip. There is a hudge difference between stock and vette. Try looking at www.transmissioncenter.net i think there is a picture of it the "Lip" of it is what is being applied and stock is about half the width of it. Another thing to watch out for is the accumulator piston in the trans. If the line preasure is set to high it will break the plastic piston letting line preasure out and start a slipping trans. The accumulator pistion can be also replace as well for a aluminum one. The smart thing to do is when you save enough money to get a Nelson Tune get a mild shift kit like a trans go, corvette servo, and aluminum accumulator pistons, and have 80 percent of TQ management removed.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:35 PM
TECH Regular

Is the Nelson tune smog legal?? I live in California and dont want to have to mess with that ****. And what would the Nelson tune do to my warranty?? Oh, by the way, I like those settings you gave me. Thanks bro. And whats the deal with the TQ management removal?? These trucks are new to me. Im used to building muscle cars. I dont want to make a rae truck out of my truck, I just want to get a little more out of it, cause I know there are some inexpensive ponys hidden in our trucks.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, from a dead stop, when you mash on the pedal it feels kinda slow, feels like something is drawing power away, then at about 3000 rpm it feels like it comes alive, well it is the computer taking timing out of the motor. It also does this in between while shifting so it doesnt tear trans out. Their are different parameters of torque management, I think there is a table in the computer for the trans and the motor. I own a RCSB 2000 5.3 2wd that dynoed 255 rwhp and I can barley get them to chip off the line, I get more wheel spin at 3000rpm than from a standstill. There are several people here running Nelson tunes and they should be smog legal. They make more hp than a handheld, elimante tq management were needed, it is fine tuning were everything is just the way it needs to be. www.nelsonperformance.com is the site. Allen is the name of guy that runs it and he knows what he is doing. You order what you want, and also what is suggested, he sends you a new computer with a core charge, you swap computers send him your old one. And best of all you get free updates for other mods you do in the future.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:12 PM
TECH Regular

Sweet!!! Ill will look into that for sure. I hear everyone here talking about Nelson tunes so i guess ill start looking into it as well. Thanks for all the info and help.

Quick Reply: Superchips programming question