Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Supermaxx, Corsa install 'fun'

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 10:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supermaxx, Corsa install 'fun'

Friday night I installed the Corsa dual rear outlet exhaust on my 2004 5.3l. I installed this with the stock exhaust manifolds and Y pipe so that if something went wrong on the next part I'd know where the problem was. It went in OK but I couldn't get the rear tips to hang low enough so that the passenger side wasn't hitting the rear bumper. The rest of the alignment of the hangers with the frame hangers was pretty close to vertical. Only took it for a quick driver but as far as sound it was as advertised. Nearly silent when cruising with a noise road when you floor it. I planned on trying again to get the passenger side to sit lower after the Supermaxx install in case it through out the alignment.

So Saturday I spent most of the day putting the the Dynatech SuperMaxx headers and Y pipe. This install is where the 'fun' came in.

Most of the install wasn't too difficult though kind of annoying. However near the end is when I started to run into problems. Connecting the Supermaxx Y pipe to the Corsa system was a royal PITA. The flange on the Supermaxx is apparently a little further back in the truck then the factory setup. As such it pushed the entire Corsa system backwards and through off all the hangers positions. This had the effect of raising the Corsa up (it pivoted up on the hangers) so now both rear pipes are pushing up against the bumper. And all the hangers are now being stretched pretty badly which is probably going to make them break earlier.

After I got that hooked up I pretty much called it a night. I backed the truck out of the garage and parked it there overnight.

This morning I wanted to take another look at the Corsa to see if I could get it aligned better. I just backed the truck up so I could back it into my garage and I've already heard the SuperMaxx hit the chassis a couple of times. When I installed it I noticed the passenger side was very close to the frame.

So I climb back under the truck and take another look.

The passenger side header is now nearly resting on the frame.

This is the passenger side on the *INSIDE* of the header.

However after looking at the drivers side it is actually even worse.

The driver side header is interfering with the driveshaft for the front axle. That isn't good at all. On this the header is hitting on the *outside* of the header.

Since the interference on one side is on the inside and the other is on the outside I can't adjust the clamp in the Y pipe to to gain more clearance. For paying top dollar for the kit that is supposed to be the best this is really annoying.

At this point I'm not sure what to do. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Shawn
Old 03-28-2004, 11:29 AM
Teching In

To make sure the Corsa wasn't pushing on the Y pipe and potentially throwing the headers out of position I just dropped the Corsa and the interference problems with the Supermaxx are still there.

Shawn
Old 03-28-2004, 11:50 AM
12 Second Club

I know exactly how you feel (about the headers anyway)........I have a 2wd, so my drivers side isnt hitting anything (however, I had to do some creative dremel work to the drivers side firewall heat sheild - had to elongate one of the stud holes to bend the sheild out of the way)

passenger side is a whole 'nother story. Mine was initially about 1/8" away from the frame, maybe 1/4. At first it was ok, but after a few hundred miles in started getting closer and closer, where finally I could hear it hitting and there were marks on the headers at this point.

I called Dynatech and told them about the problem. They told me it wouldn't hurt to try and bend them away from the frame with a pry bar or something similar. These things are HARD AS A ROCK STAINLESS. I almost broke my prybars trying to bend them, even w/o the Y pipe in place. So after hammering and prying to no avail, I email Dynatech with a complaint, saying that I would have never bought the system if I knew it would have such fitment issues (and I thought their MSD wires they included for the rear two drivers side plugs were crap - barely fitting and burning on the side)

Bob Floyd (I think thats his name) emailed me back and was very interested about the problem and said he would do all that he could to help. He said that he had never heard of this problem and that all are test fitted prior to shipment. So after a few very long emails back and forth, he sent me out a replacement header that he 'test fit himself' on the test-fit thing they have in the shop. I swapped it out, and was releived to see there was a good 1/4" of gap. However, its getting closer now and I think I can hear it hitting again.

He told me that he would send someone to pick up the old header so they could check it out.......but the weird thing is.....he never responded to any emails after he sent the header.......almost like he got fired for sending me a free header, new gaskets + new heat sheilds for those 2 plug wires).....so I never sent back the old header. I dont know if he got fired but I just have never heard from him again. I'm dissapointed because he said that if this 2nd one doesnt fit, he would talk to me about reimbursment for the whole kit.

Sorry for the excessively long post, but I figured you'd want all the info you could get on this expensive fitment problem. If I were you, I'd get ahold of them and ask them if you can get a refund because it fits terribly. If you have driven it yet, you know it sounds like **** hitting all over the place (mine did before I fixed that drivers side heat sheild) - I worry about the knocking triggering the knock sensor and cutting back timing.

I might try to get ahold of Bob again and see if the refund would still be plausible - I wouldn't mind getting some low end torque back either with the stock manifolds.

Hope this helps - good luck
Old 03-28-2004, 12:24 PM
Teching In

Misery loves company I guess. I have a pretty good amount of room on the drivers side near the heat shield but obviously no where near enough room for the driveshaft.

I've only driven the truck maybe 20 feet with the headers so far. I backed out of the garage and spun it around to back it into the garage to look at the Corsas alignment then I found these problems.

I called Dynatech but they are closed on the weekend. I sent them an email with a link to this thread so it will be interesting to see how they respond. I may try bending the headers but like you said they are going to be very strong. I could try a bottle jack or something but I just know if I try that I'll end up snapping the bolts in the head or something else like that.

Shawn
Old 03-28-2004, 01:07 PM
14 Second Truck Club

welp you guys have just talked me out of ever buying any product from these brands...

Old 03-28-2004, 01:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by onyx
welp you guys have just talked me out of ever buying any product from these brands...

thats why I didn't plan on writing the whole story on here, but since sfogg had the exact same problem I figured it was time. For a while I thought maybe my frame or motor mounts or something was different, causing the problem, but regardless - they shouldnt be that close anyways.....there is alot of room for improvement on their header design/clearance.

I know threads like this cause people to steer away from the product, and there has to be alot of satisfied people with this kit, otherwise Dynatech would change their design or at least know about the problem. But overall its made well and the instructions and gaskets and everything were very good, the clearance issue being the only problem (a big problem tho)
Old 03-28-2004, 02:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the report. I wont be buying a set this week for my next project.The $500 hamms long tubes have been flawless and perfect fit for 40K+miles,I will look at AZ speeds and lapoleds
Old 03-28-2004, 07:11 PM
Teching In

An update.

I got the Corsa squared away pretty well this afternoon. If you haven't seen one the kit is actually a bunch of smaller tubes that fit together and you band clamp them all. This means you can adjust the positioning somewhat based on how you turn the tubes and how far you insert them. After playing around with it more today I was able to get the rear tips to hang low enough behind the bumper so they aren't a problem. I need to adjust one side slightly more as after I drove it it wasn't even with the other side. That should be a big deal because on the drivers side there is more 'play' in the adjustments.

As far as the Supermaxx I was able to get a smidge more clearance between the header and the driveshaft but not a bunch. I ended up wrapping a ratcheting tie down around the frame (be sure to go under the brake lines) and the header near the drive shaft. By tightening that down as far as it would go it moved the header over to be touching the frame as far away from the driveshaft as possible. I left it wrapped up like this for about an hour. When I took off the tie down the header was slightly (maybe 1/8" if that) further away from the driveshaft. Unfortunatly to bend this enough so they aren't further away I'd need to move the header further out which I can not do because the frame is in the way.

Not sure what I'm going to do on the passenger side yet. I might try the same thing with the tie down but I'll have to go across the frame since on the passenger side I need to pull that header in toward the center of the car.

Shawn
Old 03-28-2004, 07:25 PM
Teching In

This got me a touch of clearance around the driveshaft but not enough that I am comfortable with it.

Shawn
Old 03-28-2004, 11:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by sfogg
An update.

I got the Corsa squared away pretty well this afternoon. If you haven't seen one the kit is actually a bunch of smaller tubes that fit together and you band clamp them all. This means you can adjust the positioning somewhat based on how you turn the tubes and how far you insert them. After playing around with it more today I was able to get the rear tips to hang low enough behind the bumper so they aren't a problem. I need to adjust one side slightly more as after I drove it it wasn't even with the other side. That should be a big deal because on the drivers side there is more 'play' in the adjustments.

As far as the Supermaxx I was able to get a smidge more clearance between the header and the driveshaft but not a bunch. I ended up wrapping a ratcheting tie down around the frame (be sure to go under the brake lines) and the header near the drive shaft. By tightening that down as far as it would go it moved the header over to be touching the frame as far away from the driveshaft as possible. I left it wrapped up like this for about an hour. When I took off the tie down the header was slightly (maybe 1/8" if that) further away from the driveshaft. Unfortunatly to bend this enough so they aren't further away I'd need to move the header further out which I can not do because the frame is in the way.

Not sure what I'm going to do on the passenger side yet. I might try the same thing with the tie down but I'll have to go across the frame since on the passenger side I need to pull that header in toward the center of the car.

Shawn
glad you were able to at least get some clearance....hope it stays that way. One option would be to start the motor for a few seconds and let the header heat up (takes just a few seconds), then try and the heat might help it bend easier and stay after it cools - I have no idea if this will work but its just a thought.

Looking forward to you figuring out the pass. side

keep us posted

Quick Reply: Supermaxx, Corsa install 'fun'