Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

SuperMaxx headers w/Y pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 11:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SuperMaxx headers w/Y pipe?

Just seeing if anybody has them and are they satisfied? How was the install, pain in the *** or not, if its anything like my 99 Camaro when I put SLP lomgs tubes on i'd pay some one to install them then. I not sure whats better ASM or the SuperMaxx?
Old 11-18-2003, 06:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I haven't heard any complaints about the SuperMaxx's, except for maybe the price. I went the ASM route, which I hear are a pain in the butt to install at times. If you are concerned about emmisions, SuperMaxx's are the way to go with their Carb certification. You may also want to get them coated. There's been issues with O2 sensors and uncoated long tubes.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DareU2
Just seeing if anybody has them and are they satisfied? How was the install, pain in the *** or not, if its anything like my 99 Camaro when I put SLP lomgs tubes on i'd pay some one to install them then. I not sure whats better ASM or the SuperMaxx?
They weren't too bad to install but you will have to fight with them a little. I'm very happy with them and they sound GREAT.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:23 AM
12 Second Club

Install wasn't too bad, but I'd have a friend to help....it wasn't fun pushing the header up behind the frame with one arm, and trying to align the gasket/header flange/and flange bolt with the other hand - just kind of awekward, at least for me

The only gripe I have is that the pass. side header hits the frame now and then, but I seem to be the only one who has this problem
Old 11-18-2003, 04:01 PM
Launching!

03GMC what does it sound like when it hits?

I like my supermaxx system. Install wasn't too bad if you've done headers before. A couple aggravating moments but that is typical. I sent mine out to be coated as well.

Performance is good....about what I expected. I don't think you could go wrong with either the ASMs or the supermaxx.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

Since the dynatech's are Stainless why have them coated
Old 11-18-2003, 05:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02 black 5.3
Since the dynatech's are Stainless why have them coated

The jet-hot coating helps to keep temps down under the hood which will be increasingly important as my engine mods continue. And it looks pretty too
Old 11-18-2003, 05:32 PM
12 Second Club

It sounds like a tapping.....the header is about 2/8" away from the frame, and when I turn left and torque the motor it taps it. I've tried bending it a bit at that point where it hits.......but those headers are hard as a rock (super strong stainless). I figure if I couldn't even get them to budge or dent even a little bit, it won't rub a hole in the header tube. I WILL get it fixed someday, when I have time to take it back off and dimple that area. But for now, even though Dyantech said it would be safe to dent or bend it away, theres no use in trying any more.........so it just hits every once in a while. The Yank stall helped it to not hit as much.....and I finished my stereo setup a while back so I hardley ever hear it anymore

Yeah, I'd have them coated if I did it all over again.......my engine bay is quite a bit hotter now
Old 11-18-2003, 05:45 PM
Launching!

yeah I looked at mine after you mentioned that and the pipes are pretty close to the frame in that location. I don't think they're hitting but I'm hearing some sort of vibration for a second or so at hard acceleration.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:57 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, mine are close also but, I never hear them hitting the frame. I see a few little scuff marks there but, no noise.

Install was pretty easy with a few little tricks here and there. I wrote a little post about it a while back. Let me see if I can find it.

Give FLP a call. That's where I got mine and they're good people.

**EDIT** Here is the post.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...7754post547754

One thing I want to add is to CLEAN them VERY well after install. If there is any oil or contaminants from your hands or motor on them when they heat up they will stain. I think it can be polished out though.

Quick Reply: SuperMaxx headers w/Y pipe?