Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

swapping 6.0 into a truck with 4.8l and air injection

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swapping 6.0 into a truck with 4.8l and air injection

My best friend has a '99 rcsb 4x4 that currently has a 4.8L with the air injection setup that injects air into the exhaust manifolds for smog reasons. We're tossing around the idea of doing a 6.0L swap, however we were concerned about what to do with the air injection setup thats currently on it. Idealy, we'd like to do away with it, but we're in cali, so we're unsure if the swap would fly with the smog shop if we were to essentially get rid of the air injection setup and make it go like an everyday equipped 6.0L without the dumbass air injection setup. Does anyone have any experience with this, or would we have to go visit a referee and pick their brain a little to see what the deal is??
Old 03-26-2009, 04:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My truck was originally a California truck. I just made a block off for the air injection and tossed that **** away. Haven't worried about it since.

I wouldn't think the AIR injection would be a big deal. What do people do with vehicles purchased outside of CA, but then have them registered within California?
Old 03-26-2009, 04:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know it re-circulates air into the exhaust, but how bad could blocking it off really be? and what the hell is the purpose? cleaner emissions?

I would block it off, but get longer bolts, so you can bolt up the EGR to the original place, but with the block-off plate in between.

This way it appears legal, but really is blocked off.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:50 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AIR injects oxygen into the exhaust system to help oxygenate the cats and get them working faster during cold operation. I know that Cali is strict about emissions, so there may be a problem with doing away with it if that's how the vehicle was originally equipped. I'm not sure how deep the inspectors dig out there, but I know that if the cats are moved from their original locations or long tubes are installed you will fail. If there's no factory documentation in reference to air injection on the hood stickers, you may get away with it as long as you don't leave any hints of it behind (ie unplugged, non functional air pump). Having AIR won't hurt your performance in any way, it just sorta clutters up the engine bay at most.

Originally Posted by Modern Muscle
I know it re-circulates air into the exhaust, but how bad could blocking it off really be? and what the hell is the purpose? cleaner emissions?

I would block it off, but get longer bolts, so you can bolt up the EGR to the original place, but with the block-off plate in between.

This way it appears legal, but really is blocked off.
You are referring to EGR which is different from AIR, EGR recirculates exhaust gasses which provides lower cylinder temps whichs lowers NOx emissions, while AIR pumps fresh air into the exhaust
Old 03-27-2009, 12:30 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RandomHero
My truck was originally a California truck. I just made a block off for the air injection and tossed that **** away. Haven't worried about it since.

I wouldn't think the AIR injection would be a big deal. What do people do with vehicles purchased outside of CA, but then have them registered within California?
We have to put all the Cali **** on it before they will let us register it.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:06 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by Parke10
We have to put all the Cali **** on it before they will let us register it.
Really!? Wow, that's crazy. So if your 99 truck had Federal Emissions, you'd have to swap in an air pump, tubing, exhaust manifolds, etc. to make it Cali compliant...I didn't know that
Old 03-27-2009, 01:31 AM
TECH Addict

yea. i love this state but sometimes i wanna shoot the people who make some of the rules/laws
Old 03-27-2009, 10:42 AM
Teching In

well....after a bit more research i found out that you can pretty much swap whatever motor you want as long as it comes from something newer than you currently have, and it comes out of something non heavy-duty (so < 6000lbs. gvw or whatever), and you change over to the emissions equipment that was supposed to come originally equipped in whatever vehicle the new engine came out of, and you have to make sure you have the right cats and place them in the correct locations in the exhaust system.

Once all this is in place, you make an appt. with the closest smog "referee" to your location, he inspects the living **** out of it, does the sniffer test, and if everything's right, you get passed and are issued a new sticker that goes near your vin tag in the driver's door jamb. This sticker enables you to take your vehicle to any regular old smog check location from that point on. This sticker basically tells the regular smog check technician what smog devices to look for when performing the regular smog check.

Damn california......always making things so difficult
Old 03-27-2009, 11:13 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Those are some pretty interesting laws, I'd figure that your vehicle would have to retain it's original emissions, but I guess that as long as it passes the sniffer it's good to go.

Last edited by budhayes3; 03-27-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:57 AM
TECH Resident

just wondering...obviously the 4.8 and 6.0 would look identical so why would you even have to let the state know?

Quick Reply: swapping 6.0 into a truck with 4.8l and air injection