Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

swapping 6.0 into a truck with 4.8l and air injection

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 09:52 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Ya Here in California They are supposed to look at the sticker under the hood and see if the truck was a 49 state or a california equipped vehical. I Believe the state keeps a record so if you were in for smog last time and it showed you had AIR and an EGR and that it was a california emissions vehical and you changed the sticker or remove it and the Technician checks it as not being there or not applicable It will pull a red flag in there system.
The following day the Men in black show up and cause a big seen at the inspection station. Its like being raided by the FBI Then they pull all his records and Guess what. every questionable Smog Check Get's a follow up visit to verify it's legal.

I am not sure how they do the follow up but if you get caught in the state of California you get sent to the refferee. They could possibly Impound the vehical too if they pressed hard enough. It's not pretty

While I worked for this guy we had a vehical come in that did not pass on the visual. He removed the cat or something. It also failed the emission too. The Very Next day there was a Random Mobile smog inspection down the street. I passed it on the way in and was like oh great now it's gonna be slow. Guess who was next in line as I passed by... That very same car.... He got caught. He called a few hours later and told us he recieved a $1000 fine on the spot. His registration was susspended and he now had to return the vehical back to stock and visit a refferee. He showed them the paper work at the inspection and said he was on his way to get it fixed. Guess who came for a surprise inspection the following day...
Old 03-29-2009, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read somewhere that the '99 pickups had fuel injectors that don't put out as much fuel as the newer pickups, so i'm assuming we'd probably benefit from swapping those out as well.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:05 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

probally 24lb injectors as apposed to 28lb injectors.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:26 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 99's had something like 19 or 21lb injectors, while 00 and up are 24.7 lb. I forgot to mention that I swapped in some 02 injectors when I swapped my PCM also.l
Old 03-30-2009, 11:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Ya Here in California They are supposed to look at the sticker under the hood and see if the truck was a 49 state or a california equipped vehical. I Believe the state keeps a record so if you were in for smog last time and it showed you had AIR and an EGR and that it was a california emissions vehical and you changed the sticker or remove it and the Technician checks it as not being there or not applicable It will pull a red flag in there system.
The following day the Men in black show up and cause a big seen at the inspection station. Its like being raided by the FBI Then they pull all his records and Guess what. every questionable Smog Check Get's a follow up visit to verify it's legal.

I am not sure how they do the follow up but if you get caught in the state of California you get sent to the refferee. They could possibly Impound the vehical too if they pressed hard enough. It's not pretty

While I worked for this guy we had a vehical come in that did not pass on the visual. He removed the cat or something. It also failed the emission too. The Very Next day there was a Random Mobile smog inspection down the street. I passed it on the way in and was like oh great now it's gonna be slow. Guess who was next in line as I passed by... That very same car.... He got caught. He called a few hours later and told us he recieved a $1000 fine on the spot. His registration was susspended and he now had to return the vehical back to stock and visit a refferee. He showed them the paper work at the inspection and said he was on his way to get it fixed. Guess who came for a surprise inspection the following day...
I take my cat off and shove it up theirs where the sun don't shine