Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

T-stat Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 06:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-stat Issues?

ok finaly got around to puttin my tstat in and well my truck use to run 200 to 210....well i had my stat installed yeserday (160 hypertech)...the thing is still stuck at the same temp as is mostly is????

only some times when im drivin around will it drop off to 180ish... i thought maybe a bad stat??? a sticky one at least...well something ive learned from my past truck was a sticky stat mostly will cause it to go to over heat and etc... and cause all kinda problems...all my little notes ive looked at imo ruled out it couldnt be a sticky stat...if im wrong i have a back up...and ill just throw her on there....but first thing that came to mind and when one of the guys that installed the stat said some times the sensor gets burned into that postion or just the computer isnt use to running that cool and needs to relearn its self...

whats funny in under 5 mins the trucks at running temp...where on my friends truck it takes 10 mins even drivin around to warm up to where i get...

so im stuck, theres 2 things that do come to mind...that i could try or do...disconnect the battery for 20 mins, then re hook it up and see if that does anything...if not then go get a new temp sensor maybe i have a bad one???
Old 06-04-2005, 08:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if its heating up that fast it seems as if the t-stat made be stuck partly closed... however, if it was closed... it shouldnt get that hot that quick from a cold start... thts odd.

If you bought it from hypertech than they probably warrenty it, but i'd call and tell them the problem your having.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:32 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you using the factory guage for your readings? It's not the most accurate. When I had the 180* stat, I checked the factory guage readings against my AutoXray readings, and the factory guage stayed steady while my AutoXray would read between 186* and 200*, depending on driving conditions. Now with my 160* stat and e-fans turning on at 180*, the guage reads right on the middle line between the 160 and 210 lines.

If you're still running the factory clutch fan and the ambient temperature is warm, (over 70*), you will probably see similar running temps even with the 160* stat. As far as coming into operating temp faster...mine does the same thing with the 160*...plus the trans heats up faster (but seems to stay cooler). Trans heating up faster is from the hot coolant from the engine flowing through the radiator sooner I believe.

You would think that it would take longer for the engine to get into operating temp, and I'm sure that with cooler outside temps it would. When it's warm outside it will react differently.

Just for piece of mind, you might want to double-check and make sure that you didn't end up with an air pocket during the swap.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:48 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Are you using the factory guage for your readings? It's not the most accurate. When I had the 180* stat, I checked the factory guage readings against my AutoXray readings, and the factory guage stayed steady while my AutoXray would read between 186* and 200*, depending on driving conditions. Now with my 160* stat and e-fans turning on at 180*, the guage reads right on the middle line between the 160 and 210 lines.

If you're still running the factory clutch fan and the ambient temperature is warm, (over 70*), you will probably see similar running temps even with the 160* stat. As far as coming into operating temp faster...mine does the same thing with the 160*...plus the trans heats up faster (but seems to stay cooler). Trans heating up faster is from the hot coolant from the engine flowing through the radiator sooner I believe.

You would think that it would take longer for the engine to get into operating temp, and I'm sure that with cooler outside temps it would. When it's warm outside it will react differently.

Just for piece of mind, you might want to double-check and make sure that you didn't end up with an air pocket during the swap.

what kinda autoxray do you have??? cause i have one the one with all the older obd hook ups and etc...but it says i gotta update mine

and also

i checked the leavel today and it was a bit low, i am gunna get some distilled water and some purple ice and drop it in there to help her out see if that helps any....
Old 06-05-2005, 04:48 AM
TECH Resident

would an aftermarket temp gauge be better???
Old 06-05-2005, 10:06 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the cheapest one (I think it's EZ-Link or something like that?) and I had it upgraded for GM Enhanced capabilities. The screen is small, you can only view one parameter at a time. Not sure how accurate it is, but I know it's more accurate than the factory guage. I plan to eventually get something a little more powerful with a bigger screen.

An aftermarket guage would definitely be more accurate than the factory one, but the factory guage will still give you an idea of where your temps are at, and will definitely rise if it's overheating. I've thought of upgrading mine, but I'd want to do all of them then to keep them looking consistent, or I'd add it somewhere else (a-pillar, roof console, etc.)

If you really want to reap the benefits of a 160* stat, e-fans are the way to go IMO
Old 06-05-2005, 09:28 PM
TECH Resident

next couple things im goin for is: transgo shift kit, nelson tune (turn on the efan feature and etc...), then efans