Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

The Tahoe that would not start. =\

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 03:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Tahoe that would not start. =\

This weekend on the way to race my car at a semi local track, the g/f was ahead of me driving our 2000 Tahoe (bone stock except for torque management removed).
About 10 minutes from our destination, there's a bridge under construction with a street light at each end as its down to one lane.

As my g/f came to a stop, the truck sputtered a few times and died.
She tried starting it NUMEROUS times, but it would only sputter a bit and die, yet it turned over just fine.

I drove to the top of the hill to call for help and when I got a hold of my dad in B.C., he said his Tahoe XL did the very same thing...
He tired plugs, wires, loose connections under the hood, removing the gas cap incase of vapor lock... nothing and like our truck, no codes showing.
He said he let the truck sit for 10-15 minutes while checking for codes and stuff, then he tried starting again and away it went like nothing ever happened. In 6 months its happened twice to him and each time he let it sit for 10 -15 minutes, it fired right up and was purring like a kitten for a few more months till it did it again. And again the same 10- 15 minute wait cured it.

So I ripped back down the hill and after boosting the truck (g/f cranked till nothing was left), I waited 10 minutes exactly and it fired instantly.

Dad mentioned a fuel harness recall, but he had the dealership do the work..... or did they?

Anyone else experience this issue, or could it be related to that fuel pump harness? (I don't know if that was done on this truck or not yet)

Thoughts or ideas as to what would cause this as I certainly don't like the idea of the g/f driving a vehical that could leave her stranded any time and place...
Old 07-01-2008, 10:21 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like either a bad fuel pump or bad wiring (both of which are inside the tank). Next time it craps out, hit the bottom of the tank once or twice with a big rubber mallet and see if it will start right away. A new fuel pump/bucket assembly should solve either problem.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by thunder550
Sounds like either a bad fuel pump or bad wiring (both of which are inside the tank). Next time it craps out, hit the bottom of the tank once or twice with a big rubber mallet and see if it will start right away. A new fuel pump/bucket assembly should solve either problem.
Agreed. I went through 3 fuel pumps in 207K miles on my 01 Tahoe. The first one failed at 80K and started while rapping the bottom of the tank while turning the key to turn on the pump. The second time at about 180K, I was driving down the freeway and it sputtered to a stop and would not start no matter how much I pounded on it.

Good Luck.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:03 PM
12 Second Club

I tried beating on the gas tank for a couple of minutes, but no go.

I thought when electric fuel pumps die, they stop working completely...?

Not looking forward to changing it out... $550 touch at the local shop and I lack the tools and the know-how to tackle it myself.

Any perticular reason why these pumps up and woof their cookies?
Old 07-04-2008, 07:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rede
I tried beating on the gas tank for a couple of minutes, but no go.

I thought when electric fuel pumps die, they stop working completely...?

Not looking forward to changing it out... $550 touch at the local shop and I lack the tools and the know-how to tackle it myself.

Any perticular reason why these pumps up and woof their cookies?
Yes there is a reason. I just heard that the fuel pumps with the "square plug" connectors are a bad design and tend to fail frequently.

There is a pin on the connector that will look burned, if you look at one that's failed.

AC Delco has a fix. Its a new pump assembly with a new connector.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:16 AM
12 Second Club

Interesting...

I have 2 weeks off of work due to a shutdown starting.... an hour ago
Think I'll run the Vin # past the dealership to check for any recalls.

Can anyone tell me what range the in years the fuel pumps from our Tahoe was used?
Reason I ask is that I have a new-in-box pump for a full size 87 jimmy. Engine is a 5.7L TBI... just wondering if it would be the same pump.

I bought it through a buddy that works @ Acklands Grainger for 65 bucks, so I'm wondering if I could use that pump instead of buying another later down the road... seeing how I'm cheap and all
Old 07-05-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rede
Interesting...

I have 2 weeks off of work due to a shutdown starting.... an hour ago
Think I'll run the Vin # past the dealership to check for any recalls.

Can anyone tell me what range the in years the fuel pumps from our Tahoe was used?
Reason I ask is that I have a new-in-box pump for a full size 87 jimmy. Engine is a 5.7L TBI... just wondering if it would be the same pump.

I bought it through a buddy that works @ Acklands Grainger for 65 bucks, so I'm wondering if I could use that pump instead of buying another later down the road... seeing how I'm cheap and all
i would be willing to bet that they're not the same pump, but it wouldn't hurt trying i guess
Old 11-27-2008, 02:01 PM
12 Second Club

Sorry to dig this thread up from the dead, but I'm still fighting this issue and may have some new info that might help out someone else...

A quick sumery of what was happening is this:

-Occasionally the truck will not start.
-It turns over fine, starts to catch, then dies instantly.
-If you coninue to crank after it starts to catch, it just turns over and over with no luck.
-If you leave the truck alone for 10 minutes (ie: remove key and just wait) it fires without a hickup like nothing happened.
-Occures randomly with no warning.

This happened twice in 5 months, not a huge deal, but now its almost once a week which has really chapped my *** and actually made me consider just trading it in.
So I did some research and found out that there is a TSB code for this very issue which incluses a few models of vehicals made by GM including 1500 pickups, Tahoes, impallas, ect...

TSB # 010856002A SOME VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT A SECURITY LAMP ILLUMINATED ON THE INSTRUMENT PANEL, ENGINE STALL, NO START CONDITION, AND DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE B2960. ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 623100 )

After searching for info on the B2960 code, it sounds like my issue is related to the passkey sensor being faulty as it was stated that 80% of people affected were simply sticking the key in and instantly cranking the engine over instead of waiting 2 seconds before cranking.
The other 20% of affected customers either had a issue with a passkey sensor that needed to be replaced, or they had other issues such as bad plugs, pooched fuel pump, ect...

I haven't called to ask if this is covered by GM, or if I need to max my credit card in order to fix this.

But I would like to know if this can be disabled with HP tuners or some other software as I have a buddy who did some HPT scanning with his laptop a while back...

If anyone has any light to shed on this, or is also effected, please chime in...
Old 11-27-2008, 02:07 PM
TECH Regular

Im gonna say its a fuel pump, sounds like when my pump went out on my 2000, same exact thing. Otherwise it could be a malfunction in the passlock system, but I doubt it.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:50 PM
12 Second Club

I was told on another forum that there's a way to disable the passkey via HTP so I'll ask if my friend can pop over this weekend with his laptop and work some magic...
Other wise I was told a pump is roughly 600 bucks.

/sigh

Maybe I should just trade the t/a and 'hoe for a TB SS awd and take out a second mortgage...?