Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Tahoe, Yukon or Escalade owners, header ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tahoe, Yukon or Escalade owners, header ?'s

I have been debating this for a while and now the project is going to begin. I was pretty set on ASM headers until I took a nice long look at the Y-pipe and cat locations on the Escalade. The problem I am curious about is the passenger side cat. It is actually in the bend coming under the vehicle, so I think a lot more than just welding up the ASM extensions to the Y-pipe is necessary. Anyone who has a similar set up (I'm not sure if trucks have this same y-pipe, but I guess so), please let me know if you had to have the passenger side cat moved back. TOG headers are next on my list.

Also, with the ASMs, how do you block off the EGR pipe if the vehicle does not have EGR? Our Escalade does not have EGR or AIR, but I would need a fairly thick piece of metal to block off the EGR port effectively( I think).

Todd
Old 05-22-2004, 10:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wye-pipe is different on the Escalade,I run a custom wye-pipe with ASM headers on my Tahoe.Dynatech(FLP)headers are available with custom wye-pipes and high flow cats to fit the Escalade.I haven't used them ,but they look pretty close to the layout of ASMs but with cats and wye-pipes included.I know they are expensive but by the time you have a shop fabricate custom wye-pipes the cost would be a bout the same as the ASMs or TOGs .
Old 05-23-2004, 07:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thank you. I have a concern about aftermarket high flow cats and getting the post cat codes for catalytic effeciency. I had high flows on my TransAm WS6 and I would get those codes every few weeks. I would like to avoid this if possible and stick with the factory cats. I am going to hit a local exhaust shop this week and see what they think about customizing the current Y to come directly off the ASM's. I will check with FLP/Dynatech on their cats as well.

Todd
Old 05-23-2004, 08:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered mandril bends and a Flowmaster wye from Jegs and had my local exhaut shop fabricate the wye-pipes,they turned out really well.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just installed the Thorley headers on my Yukon wih no problems at all. I had every thing bolted in and changed the plugs without using air tools in 4 hours. With the Flange bolted to the headers, I drove to Midas and they welded the flange to the Y pipe and no problems since.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Gordy,
That was what I was hoping to do. After Witt replied, I checked out my neighbors 2001 Yukon with the 5.3 and the cats are pretty much in the identicle place on the driver's side, but the passenger side cat on our Escalade is moved up the Y-pipe considerably. This makes it impossible to install a long tube header with a typical collector without moving that cat location.

I am headed down to the exhaust shop today to find out what they think.

Todd