Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

taking off stock fan

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default taking off stock fan

Planning on getting some electric fans, how hard is it to get the stock fan off,what tools do i need? someone please help me out.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Default Re: taking off stock fan

It is pretty damn easy to get off. Get a good length pipe/monkey wrench, somewhere around 18" in length.

First, take the top half of the fan shroud off. A crows foot/interior panel remover works great for getting those plastic parts apart. Then simply put that wrench on that huge nut.

Use a hammer and hit it with quick sharp hits (like an air tool) towards the PASSANGER side of the truck. Don't be a dumbass like me and do it towards the drivers side, it will just get tighter that way. Just get it loose then simply spin it off by hand.

Enjoy your new found ~6rwhp with an unlocked fan, expect far more gains over a locked clutch on a fan.

Since you have an ASP crank pulley, I highly recommend going with a tiny alternator pulley (1.75") to get your charging system close to normal. If funds allow, I'd get a 180A alternator for the extra amperage as those fans suck some juice...hell I have a charging problem with stock crank pulley, LS1 fans, and a monster stereo.
Old 06-09-2003, 12:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Like he said .. just use a whopping crescent wrench and a rubber mallet.

Do you need to have that nut on there to hold the water pump pulley on? It looks like it's holding it on. A friend that was helping me out cut the fan clutch off the nut and polished the nut up and we stuck it back on just in case.

Where can you get a 180 amp altenators? How much do they run? I thought about upping to the 130 amp altenator, but another 50 would be great. I too have charging difficulties with my measly 105 amp altenator.
Old 06-09-2003, 12:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The nut doesn't hold anything on but the fan. I have LS1 fans and both underdrive pulleys and no charging probs at all. Also I have the best battery that Walmart sells which was like 60 dollars but I don't know if that helps any. Maybe I have a freak alternator.
Old 06-09-2003, 01:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Alterstart Systems, Inc.
1-800-607-0016
E-mail these guys: alterstart@aol.com
www.4alterstart.com

They are in Dallas off Loop 12 and Davis (ghetto area). They sell them for around $150 I think. I bought a 130A for my F-150 new for $90 aboot two years ago. They build, modify, and repair basically anything with an electric motor. HO starters, alternators, etc.

You will also need to upgrade the power cable to ~4awg also.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:43 PM
Teching In

To get the fan off, I went to the local Autozone and rented the wrench to get the fan off. Ended up being free cause they refund the deposit when the tool is returned. I didn't need any hammers or stuff like that. Just make sure to leave the belt on. Just gave it a quick twist and off it came. I was expecting a big fight with the fan from all the stuff I read.
Old 06-09-2003, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

Thanks a lot fellas, what do ya'll think about the optima batteries are they worth the money. and where do i get the 1.75" alternator pulley
Old 06-09-2003, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

cashdudehomie,
you must have a freak alternator, i have the same battery as you and only a crank pulley with a small system and have charging problems at night.
Old 06-09-2003, 06:04 PM
TECH Veteran

I have an Optima Yellow Top and it is bad ***! They last way longer than regular batts too.

www.rpmoutlet.com sells the small alternator pulley, and man that 1.75" one is tiny!
Old 06-09-2003, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

why does asp sell the alternator pulley, which is the same size as the stock pulley. would ya'll recommend the yellow top for the electric fans, and will the 1.75" keep my lights from going dim at idle. thanks again fellas for all the help

Quick Reply: taking off stock fan