Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Taking out TQ management

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking out TQ management

I may have around $1500-$2000 by the end of this year and I've been thinking about taking out my tq management. My plan will be to have my tranny built up, then having every bit of the tq management taken out with a custom LS1 edit tune. Would I notice a huge difference without the tq management. Would my truck be noticeably faster? Would it be worth it. How much does it generally cost to have a tranny beefed up? Also would taking out the tq management have an bad effect in any way in daily driving? Would it hurt my engine at all over time with normal driving?
Old 11-21-2003, 03:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

What is your plan for the truck? and What mods do you have ,or are you planning? this will,have a big effect on the tuning of the trans or whether you even need it. Do you have ls1-edit? if so try adjusting w edit first.
Old 11-21-2003, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the following performance mods: stock 3.42 limited slip rear end, HPP3 (93oct. tuning), Helix Power Tower TBS, K&N FIPK, Edelbrock TES Headers, True duel Flowmaster exhaust set-up, custom ram air set-up, Magnaflow x-pipe.
Old 11-21-2003, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Do you plan on going with a healthy power adder like a blower or hefty shot of juice? If not, I would put a shift kit, servos and a convertor in it and spend the rest on something else. A fully rebuilt tranny to 'hold anything' as my tranny guy put it, will run you around 2k. Whatever you do .. don't make the shift kit bark the tires at anything less than full throttle. That is horribly bad for the transmission, I don't care what anyone tells you.

I spent 2k on a tranny and it would bark the tires at about half throttle. It broke the hardened input shaft as well as a lot of other parts on a part throttle shift because it had to much shift kit in it.

EDIT:
Forgot the initial question, with a good shift kit, not barking the tires at part throttle, you should be OK with removing torque management.
Old 11-21-2003, 07:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Flyer
..... Whatever you do .. don't make the shift kit bark the tires at anything less than full throttle. That is horribly bad for the transmission, I don't care what anyone tells you.
I 100% agree! These heavy trucks only need quick, tight shifts.
Old 11-22-2003, 06:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

yeah if you get ls1-edit you can tune you line pressures I spent some time tuning my trans after I put servos in it and I've got about 8K behind a 5.3L radix and I believe alot of has to do with the tuning to soften the shifts around town @part throttle and limiting the amount of shift time reduction you put in. my trans is smooth around town but firm and crisp a fullthrottle.
Old 11-22-2003, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Flem, do you have a sotck tranny with the exception of a shift kit and servos?

If so, can I look at your tranny tables? I wanna put the blower on my truck so bad, but I fear dropping a tranny with that much power.